OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

S&B 3-12X50 Variable Power Classic FFP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: S&B 3-12X50 Variable Power Classic FFP
    Posted: January/28/2010 at 05:16
I am currently deciding on what to mount on my rifle, and have been reading all kinds of different posts. I plan on spending a little money on both, hence the Schmidt & Bender name. I have trying to educate myself on all the types of scopes, reticles, powers, focal planes, rifles, ballistics, barrels, trigger assemblies, and so on, but was wondering if this scope would do what I needed. Whitetail for the south, 200-600 yards, Elk for the northwest, 400-800 yards. I am currently looking at mounting it on a Rem Sendero SFII chambered in 7mm Rem. with plans on changing out the trigger assembly, a new bolt, and having the barrel dipped, because im not a fan of a silver-color finish. I plan on keeping this rifle for many years, as the reason im spending a decent amount of money on it. Any tips about any of the parts I have mentioned will be greatly appreciated, and since being in the army for a few years, constructive criticism never hurts either... Thanks guys...
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2010 at 05:56
I would suggest you read a few more posts etc and then decide a bit later.
I would in particular suggest you re-think your hunting distances. It is generally considered that 300yds is the max game should be taken at, unless you are a good shooter with lots of experience.
The scope you are suggesting will certainly do the trick, some will say out to 600yds+. I personally would limit it to 400yds and go for a 20X if you want to start engaging targets at the 800yds distance.
Just remember, a good telescope does not gurantee a good shot.
You do have the right idea, spend the money on a good scope and cry only once!
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2010 at 06:12
Shooting in itself isn't a problem for me. I have shot 300 yard silhouettes with just a 1X red dot without a problem, now granted it probably didnt hit the target right where i needed it to, but it built confidence in my shooting abilities. I just don't know a whole lot besides what I read and look at about rifles, and scopes. I believe that with practice, I'll become a better shooter, as will 99% of people, and by no means am I superior to anyone in heres shooting abilities, but I do appreciate the idea to keep browsing, as will my wife with the price of that scope, $1,700 was the cheapest I've seen it, but being in the military, I know what abuse weapons have the ability to take, not that my rifle or scope will see what I did in training or combat, but its good to hear that if needed to, they can. Thank you for the reply, and enjoy SA.
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2010 at 06:22
The other guys will pitch in a bit later, so you should get a fair amount of opinions and suggestions.
Certainly the scope that you are suggesting is the top of the range, so you cannot go wrong.
There are of course a lot of cheaper scopes that with care will stand up to the rigours of hunting. The Vortex line of scopes are recieving great reviews. The range of Zeiss are also excellent. If you do not mind the tactical look then Nightforce is another option.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic