OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

European Uber Scope Customer Support?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brazos_Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: European Uber Scope Customer Support?
    Posted: January/28/2010 at 01:33

O.K., I’m a long time loyal Leupold customer. I’ve lost count of how many of their scopes I have. Their customer support and service is the gold standard. But I read about the supperior clarity and low light capabiliy of the high end European scopes. That has me considering the purchase of some upscale European glass with illuminated reticles.

How is the customer support from Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica,  and Schmidt & Bender. Which of these has world class customer support to go along with their world class prices and which may make good glass but take your money and run with poor after sale service.  Who of these is the best in this regard and who is the worst?

Brazos_Jack

Brazos Jack

...there are more instances of the abridgement of freedoms of the people by gradual and silent encroachment of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.

- James Madison
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2010 at 10:35
Having had experience with Swarovski CS, I would say they are very supportive and have never had a problem.   Can't speak for the others, but I would venture that they would support just as well.  But I don't know for sure...
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2010 at 10:37
Originally posted by Brazos_Jack Brazos_Jack wrote:

How is the customer support from Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica,  and Schmidt & Bender. Which of these has world class customer support to go along with their world class prices and which may make good glass but take your money and run with poor after sale service.  Who of these is the best in this regard and who is the worst?

Brazos_Jack

Well, I'm right there with you regarding Leupold loyalty evolving to interest in the premium Euro makes listed above Big Smile. Yes, Leupold does have great customer service 99% of the  time and there are many companies in the optics world who could learn a thing or two from them. However, based on MY experience, the Euro companies you've listed above meet or exceed Leupold's high standards for customer service. Swarovski especially is highly regarding for the prompt attention when an issue arises with one of their products. I don't think you can rank a "worst" of the four makers you list above. All of them provide exceptional products with equally impressive customer service should a need arise.

Bottom line, you can go wrong with any of them!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2010 at 11:03
S&B will send you a replacement scope to run while yours is in for service.

Swaro and Zeiss have been exceptional for me, though neither has had a scope fail in my hands yet (emails are answered quickly, real people answer the phone and know of what they speak.)  One interaction with Zeiss was to replace a capped turret with a target turret on a Conquest: $50, had it bck in a few weeks, all great.

The single biggest difference you will experience is the quality of the optic (Customer Service is great, but doesn't do a damn thing to help put a round on target.)  Leupold made great stuff 20 years ago and the name was justifiably well known as the best.  Now, they aren't all "Made in the USA" - that sticker is gone from most of the current boxes) and they have enjoyed the name recognition while other makes caught up and surpassed them in optical quality and mechanical reliability and durability.

Try a Swaro, any new Swaro, you will be a "former" Leupold fan!

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2010 at 11:04
The only Euro scope CS I have experience with is Swarovski, and they go above and beyond in supporting their product.  The only reason I have experience with their CS is because I bent the ocular housing on a scope once when my rifle slipped out of my hands and landed scope first on a boulder, no fault of their product.  They repaired my scope pronto and charged me nothing, despite the fact the damage was my fault.  In fact, from all the feedback I've heard combined with my lone experience, see nothing to suggest their CS isn't Leupold-esque.  I've heard Zeiss is pretty good in this regard as well, but I've never needed to put it to the test.  I've heard mixed reviews on Leica CS, but have heard they've recently seen the light and taken steps to improve their CS.  I haven't heard anything on S&B service one way or the other.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2010 at 11:08
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I've heard mixed reviews on Leica CS, but have heard they've recently seen the light and taken steps to improve their CS.  I haven't heard anything on S&B service one way or the other.

I know the guy that was the source of the initial problems (South Texas Tripods, a former Leica dealer.)   Leica screwed up, they knew it, a rep came by and admitted it was a screw-up and the policy changed.

I haven't used Leica's CS yet, but have my warranty card and still love my binos.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
recon by fire View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote recon by fire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 10:34
I'm trying to find turrent caps for a Lisenfield scope.
Anyone know how to find customer support for them?
Life is short eat desert first.
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 22:14
Originally posted by recon by fire recon by fire wrote:

I'm trying to find turrent caps for a Lisenfield scope.
Anyone know how to find customer support for them?

Lisenfield has benn out of business for several years now. I see some of their scopes come up for sale at various websites ( including E-bay) for a very little cost. Best advice I can give is look for one long term, or try to find a fit from an Oriental manufactured scope.
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 10:43
Go with a Swaro.  All of my customer service for upgrading reticles has been superb!  Even back when they used to service Kahles.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 14:27
Zeiss customer here. Their CS was exceptional. Conquest puked on my Sako and was promptly and courteously replaced.
(The CS gal I spoke with sounded HOT too.)  Big Grin    

IOR (not really Euro-pee-in) on the other hand...was somewhat lacking, BUT they did replace the scope I was having trouble with.
HOLLOWPOINT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOLLOWPOINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 15:39
IOR (not really Euro-pee-in) on the other hand...

Romania is a wee 'lil bit more European than North Carolina! Wink Big Grin
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good. Thomas Paine
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 15:43
Originally posted by HOLLOWPOINT HOLLOWPOINT wrote:

I stand corrected, Sir!
Not reel god at map reedin and such, beeing frum north cackilackie. Bucky  Wink   
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 15:44
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by HOLLOWPOINT HOLLOWPOINT wrote:

I stand corrected, Sir!
Not reel god at map reedin and such, beeing frum north cackilackie. Bucky  Wink   

Representin'!  Yea----ah

Edited by SVT_Tactical - May/13/2010 at 15:45
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
HOLLOWPOINT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOLLOWPOINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 18:12
Don't fret! Wink

The sheer beauty and grandeur of cities like Winston-salen or Raleigh are really breathtaking! Your swamps are lovely and Cape Hatteras is truly magnificent!

Nothing comes close in Romania!
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good. Thomas Paine
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic