OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Reticle for Varmint/Target work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bachekermooni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reticle for Varmint/Target work
    Posted: January/28/2010 at 00:10

My Ruger MK II Varmint in .223 is losing its Burris FF II 4.5-14x to the newly acquired Kimber K22 Pro Varmint used mostly for .22 matches. So, the MK II is now scope-lessOuch I need to buy it a new one for target and PD shooting later this year in MT (my first PD shootBig Grin).  I enjoy punching holes in paper at 200 yards at the local range - when time allows.

I have read quite a bit of what is written here and need the advise of seasoned shooters.  I have pretty much concluded that I need a variable and anything higher than 20X (perhaps 16x) is, for all parctical purposes, wasted.

My questions:
1. Are elevation markings (BDC / MOA / MRad) needed / helpful / wasted?
2. Are windage markings (e.g. VH type reticles) needed / helpful / wasted?
3. 1st or 2nd focal plane?  Its seems 1st eliminates the "power setting" issue.
4. Considering the answers above, what reticle and focal plane would you get?

I appreciated your feedback Smile
Take your time. Do it right - the first time.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2010 at 02:41
I have the Varmint reticule and use the BDC feature. I found the correct power setting to match my rifles ballistics. To engage targets at different distances I simply use the corresponding reticule.
I do not use the windage feature, but aim off according to the wind. With a bit of practise or time to engage the target it could be useful. I just find it a bit much to contend with elevation and windage reticule when a limited shooting time is available.
I have only used second focal plane scopes. Cannot help further. I do hear guys complain that the reticule size becomes a problem at longer range shots on a first focal.
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2010 at 07:52
For dogging and paper work I would stay with the 2ndFP scopes.
Now you really need to ask yourself, do I want to dial all of my distances or do I still want to use a multi-dash/dot reticle in a 2nd FP?
If you prefer the scope with the mil/moa/ballistic reticle then choose a scope where you think the ideal power setting is for using said reticle.  With some scopes you have to have the scope at the higest power for the reticle to properly subtend, while others will have an indicator mark somewhere to midway to maybe 2/3 of the power range.
For pding, I would look for a reticle with lines/dashes versus a dot, unless the dot reticle was fairly small.  Many mildot scopes have fairly large dots and I do not like them for precise work.
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2010 at 08:22
+1 on Ernie's post. My scope set on 20X matches my 308 ballistics perfectly. It is a 8,5-25 scope. So I can only use the BDC when on 20X. If I shoot closer shots, say 50m, I use the 8,5 power. So in theory I could have bought a fixed 20X scope.

Dialing is a good option, but then you require rock solid dials, such as mostly in the tactical scopes. Some guys simply dial in for the wind. I have tried it once or twice. but I am not comfortable with it due to lack of practise with this system.
bachekermooni View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bachekermooni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2010 at 21:43
Thanks.
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2010 at 00:08
You are welcome.
Ernie

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bachekermooni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2010 at 22:20
ttt
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bachekermooni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 13:33
Any opinions on lighted reticles?
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 14:20
Originally posted by bachekermooni bachekermooni wrote:

Any opinions on lighted reticles?

Never used it myself
Ernie

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2010 at 23:50
My first choice would be a TRIJICON Accupoint 2.5-10 x 56 but I run a compact ACOG 3x on an AR-15 and that seems to work, illumination is a good thing.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bachekermooni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2010 at 13:34
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

My first choice would be a TRIJICON Accupoint 2.5-10 x 56 but I run a compact ACOG 3x on an AR-15 and that seems to work, illumination is a good thing.

For varminting? Shocked
Risasi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 19:22
Originally posted by bachekermooni bachekermooni wrote:

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

For varminting? Shocked

Specifically, for prairie dogs? (Now I'm curious. I've been wondering how low is too low...) 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic