OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ARD on a SS, picture quality

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumberjack149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ARD on a SS, picture quality
    Posted: January/27/2010 at 12:31
if this has been covered bfor i apologize but i didnt find it on the search function.
I have had a 10x SS for a couple years now and im happy with it. Just bought the 3x9 and ive been very pleased with it, def makes adjusting your shots a breeze. 
I just want to ask other users if they have noticed a huge difference in image quality on any scope when using an ARD (i was expecting a lil difference but not what i seen)?
When i first got the 3x9 and was comparing glass with other scopes i had, i was greatly dissappointed and confused. The images i looked at where all hazy with blurryness around the edges of everything i looked at. When i removed the ARD it was like the fog lifted and i was a happy camper again.
Am i the odd ball here?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 13:11
Yes, and I made the same comment to Chris.  The cell density is too tight and the length of cell is too short.  The best ARD I've used is USO's, they have fewer cells and longer cells, making the ARD effective at polarizing also.

Chris informed me that the ARD is not of their making.

For the 3-9, I have one too, it's right here on my desk, never to go on the scope again (unless I wanna use the scope to look at the sun - or something.)  It does significantly diminish image brightness and quality.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 13:14
I thought the same thing with mine as well.  Once I took it off it was like I could see a whole new world through that scope.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 13:33
RC want to part with your ARD?  I am about to order one if you needed to get rid of yours?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 13:36
Thanx but no, mine will stay for comparative purposes, or for looking at the sun with my 3-9.

Thanks for the offer though.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 13:41

Just offering before my order goes to swfa this afternoon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 13:42
Order away, it does have some utility, don't get me wrong, I just prefer to shoot without it.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 16:20
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Just offering before my order goes to swfa this afternoon

I own one you can have. I'll even hand deliver it!!  Big Grin
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 16:27
Heck yeah CT  PM me with details  if your serious
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 19:17
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I thought the same thing with mine as well.  Once I took it off it was like I could see a whole new world through that scope.

I experienced the same thing with the 3x9 SS I just received. Im just glad to hear its not just me. I had no plan to ever use mine again either because it cut down on light..Yeppers
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 22:02
Me too I just had to take it off its somewhere in the safe. I d say a better buy would be the lens shade and an extra bultler creek flip up and cut a small hole in the flip up which is what you see military sniper do.  I suppose you could make the SS kill flash work if you drilled out some of the holes larger.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic