OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New SPR AR (Pics) - Need 2-10x Recommendations!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New SPR AR (Pics) - Need 2-10x Recommendations!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stangs55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New SPR AR (Pics) - Need 2-10x Recommendations!
    Posted: January/26/2010 at 21:36
First time poster here, long time lurker.

I'm steadily deciding on a tactical scope for my SPR build...just not sure which one.
FWIW, here is what the build consists of so far:
- White Oak 18" Stainless SPR 5.56 barrel (1:7)
- Daniel Defense Lite 12.0 FSM
- Sabre Defence XR15 lower
- Yankee Hill Machine Front Iron
- A.R.M.S. 40L Rear Iron
- Magpul CTR Stock
- Magpul MIAD Grip
- Magpul PMAG Clip
- Timney Trigger

(Pics below)

Use will be 60% small game and varmint hunting out to 300 yards. 20% close kills in brush. 20% killing paper. I spend a good majority of my ammo on cormorants on our lake (yes, I have a permit to kill them). But a small swimming bird at 300 yards can make a challenging and fun target!

My budget is really $1000-ish give or take depending on my mood at the time of purchase Cool...I can justify more if the product can justify it for me. I don't want something that's huge...Compact and rugged with the ability to never lose zero after bouncing in the back of a truck are the themes of the day.

In a perfect world, I think I'd pickup the USO SN-3 1.8-10x...but short of a used steal somewhere, I don't think I can afford it...however keep in mind, that I think it's exactly what I'm looking for, both in size, form and function.

Other things I'm considering, are:

1. SWFA SS 3-9x42 : I've read alot of good things about it (mainly here)...but that's it
2. Vortex 2.5-10x44 Viper PST : I know really nothing about these guys. Namely, which would you choose between #1 and #2?
3. Nightforce 2.5-10x24 NXS : Only issue here is the price...I really am not sure I could justify it...unless someone on here was really convincing....
4. Trijicon TR22-2G 2.5-10x56 : I'm not a fan of 56mm here...that's larger than I'd like it...but it may fit the bill...just seems too big for an AR.
5. Leupold Mark 4 2.5-8x36 MR/T M1 : Not quite the range I was looking for
6. Burris 3-12x50 Xtreme Tactical Scope : Meh...too big...and I've never been a fan of anyone selling something as "Xtreme" Loco
7. Nikon M-223 2-8x32 : Newest scope shown at shot show this year and yet to be seen in retail. Again, not the range I was looking for, but may be an okay compromise...

What do you guys recommend?

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 21:51
"Compact and rugged with the ability to never lose zero after bouncing in the back of a truck are the themes of the day."  when i read this my first instict is a SWFA SS. 
BTW, very nice looking rig

Edited by SVT_Tactical - January/26/2010 at 21:52
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 22:58
SS 3-9 and don't look back.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 09:21
nightforce 2x10
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 09:32
This is the SS 10x HD.  Just posting it so you could see the size and look if you chose the SS 3-9x, as they are very close.

Edited by supertool73 - January/27/2010 at 09:32
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 09:37
Stang, you picked the right year to need "that" scope.

At this moment, USO makes the only good 1-8X I know of; however, at least 4 companies have something in the 1-8X range coming out this year.  Be advised, it ain't an easy scope to make, none will be "cheap."  If you really need 1-8X or 1-10X, be ready to drop more than $1,000.  Anything cheap in that power range will not be durable and optically on par with your gun (nice stick, by the way.)

Of you list, I own several.  Here's my take.

The 3-9SS is the best deal going on a solid tactical scope, hands down.  The glass is unbeatable at this price, the turrets are good, plenty of elevation, and it will be durable.  That said, 3X is quite a bit for a 20-yard shot.  To your credit, the 20-yard shot will not be against dangerous game, so if you lose a 20-yard shot once in awhile with an optic that gives you great 300-yard shots, I'd guess you are OK with that.

Trijicon 2.5-10x56
I have it, great scope, ideal for low light hunting.  That is a big bell, no question, but the scope has good glass, great reticles, and is priced well for what you get.
On an AR15, it would overpower the gun, throw off balance, and generally suck, I thin.  Mine is on an AR10 and it is almost too big for that gun.

Nightforce is the king of the 2-10X hill at the moment (that might change later this year, might not.)  It is perfectly sized for an AR, perfect weight, and almost perfect magnification (be better if the bottom were 1X, but you can't have everything.)  If you can spend the extra $$, you will not be disappointed.

I haven't seen the Vortex but hear very good things about the coming PST line, might be worth waiting on.

Don't bother with the Burris or Leupold, not up to the task, in my opinion.

Know nothing of the Nikon but am not a Nikon fan in the tactical market.

If USO 1.8-10X is what you "want", getting something else would b a mistake, you'll always wonder what might have been - and probably end up buying one down the road, after losing a little on what you bought in the interim.  Look around for a used one, or call John at USO, they might make a deal or have a demo, I've gotten lucky twice doing that.

Or, wait a few months, great new scopes coming!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Stangs55 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stangs55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 18:16
Well I come back to read this post today certain that the USO is not for me...and you guys encourage my evil side...my wife hates you all.  But USO aside...

I appreciate all the great feedback so far.

One thing I thought I'd add to my this-would-be-my-perfect-scope list is that I would really like an illuminated reticle for the close quarter encounters.

I hadn't really looked at IOR yet as I had heard mixed things about them in the past.

From their website, the 2-12x32mm seems like it'd be perfect...so what am I missing? I can find very little on this scope on the internet besides some mentioning of pretty rough eye relief. Anyone have experience with this scope?   Product page. 

And then there's the IOR 2.5-10x42mm. Without the extra reach of 12x, I think I might have a hard time justifying this over the SS...what do you guys think?   Product Page.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 19:22
3-9x42 S.S. is probably your best bet for the money.  One potential caveat is that the FFP reticle gets a little thick on high magnification and can obscure some of the target.  Personally, I did not find that a problem, but it is something to be aware of if you are shooting at very small objects.

If you want a more flexible magnification range, I ran my IOR 2-12x32 on an AR chambered for 6.5Grendel a while back and it was a very good fit.  It is not a cheap scope, but it is very versatile and has very nice glass.

Another good scope that I did not see mentioned above is Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x42.  Trijicon's illumination scheme has a lot to recommend itself.

One other option that might work well for you is one of Burris SixX scopes.  There are two objective lens diameters: 2-12x40 and 2-12x50 and they are available with both illuminated an non-illuminated versions.

ILya

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 21:56
ditto

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Stangs55 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stangs55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 09:25
Welp, I ended up ordering the IOR 2-12x32 and it arrived late last night.

I've mounted it on the AR and plan to have it to the range by the end of the week. I'll be back soon with some thoughts and a mini-review :)

First impressions are generally good, although it consists of me just holding it up to my eye... I've got quite a bit of Swarovski, Zeiss, and Leupold glass to compare it to...should get interesting!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 09:44
Let us know the end results. Good luck
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic