OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SHOT 2010 Optics Overview

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 07:40
Belshoi Spasiba Mr. Koshkin.  This is great information.  There is a reason I don't need no stinking magazine circumscriptions.  I get unbiased, trusted information here. 
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 09:06
Thanks for taking the time to attend and reporting back.  Appreciate it.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 09:43
Best writeup on SHOT that I've read anywhere. Interesting to see who's innovating, who's standing still, and to read your take on the quality/functionality of these offerings. I got a chuckle out of S&B not cleaning their glass every day. Perhaps they were in a hurry to hit the blackjack tables.
Reaction time is a factor...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 12:35
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

Best writeup on SHOT that I've read anywhere. Interesting to see who's innovating, who's standing still, and to read your take on the quality/functionality of these offerings. I got a chuckle out of S&B not cleaning their glass every day. Perhaps they were in a hurry to hit the blackjack tables.

This is my third SHOT and S&B routinely has the dirtiest lenses in the show of all the quality makers.

ILya
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 12:37
for what they want for there scopes i would think they would clean themselves.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Jettubby View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jettubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 12:41
ILya,
Again thanks for the fantastic review. I was too busy talking to all the hot shot show girls! Big Grin Like I said to one girl, "Firearms and women all in one place. Is this is heaven?"
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 13:12
Outstanding stuff, ILya, thanks.  One question:  Were you able to look through the particular March 2.5-25 in your picture?  I see it has 0.1 Mil knobs so I was wondering what their Mil reticle is going to look like.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 13:15
Originally posted by Jon A Jon A wrote:

Outstanding stuff, ILya, thanks.  One question:  Were you able to look through the particular March 2.5-25 in your picture?  I see it has 0.1 Mil knobs so I was wondering what their Mil reticle is going to look like.

I looked through every scope in that booth, including the one in the picture.

The reticle was either MTR-1 or MTR-2, I do not remeber off hand.

ILya
TexasPhotog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasPhotog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 13:28
Very cool, thanks!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 14:03
WOW
Thanks for the lengthy write up.... That is a lot of info to put down in text. We are truly grateful.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Sam@Vortex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam@Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 14:39
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Nice write up.

One clarification:
You said of the Vortex, "Razor 1-4x24 (along with the 5-20x50 model that debuted last year) is also available now.": is that accurate?  I am interested more in the 1-4 than the 5-20.

Just checking.

Thanx,

We're hoping to have them by the end of March. That is just an estimate though.

Thanks for the writeup Ilya! It was good seeing you again at the show!

-Sam
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 14:54
Originally posted by Sam@Vortex Sam@Vortex wrote:

Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Nice write up.

One clarification:
You said of the Vortex, "Razor 1-4x24 (along with the 5-20x50 model that debuted last year) is also available now.": is that accurate?  I am interested more in the 1-4 than the 5-20.

Just checking.

Thanx,

We're hoping to have them by the end of March. That is just an estimate though.

Thanks for the writeup Ilya! It was good seeing you again at the show!

-Sam

You are welcome Sam.

You have some kick ass products coming out.  There wasn't all that much new stuff at SHOT and without Vortex I'd have much less stuff to write aboutBig Smile.  

Thanks for keeping me busy (oh by the way, you are now on my wife's $hit list, because of all the time I spent on the write-up)!

ILya
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 15:26
Thanks for the review and taking the time and effort to report it all .
Duce Smile
Duce
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 16:08
Yet another fine review from the Master. Thanks so much for your time, Koshkin.

Sad to see the new Aimpoint was flat though.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 16:15
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Originally posted by Sam@Vortex Sam@Vortex wrote:

[QUOTE=Rancid Coolaid]Nice write up.

You are welcome Sam.

You have some kick ass products coming out.  There wasn't all that much new stuff at SHOT and without Vortex I'd have much less stuff to write aboutBig Smile.  

Thanks for keeping me busy (oh by the way, you are now on my wife's $hit list, because of all the time I spent on the write-up)!

ILya
ILya, go rub her feet and all will be forgiven!   Excellent
  trust me on this!!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 20:32
Excellent summary, Ilya!  I managed to visit most, but not all of those suppliers' booths, and I can't disagree with any of your observations. 

It was a pleasure meeting you, and I really enjoyed hanging out with you at SHOT!

For the benefit of those who have never met Mr. Koshkin in person, I can assure you, he's a super nice guy!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 23:32
Did any of you go by Mark La Rue's booth and see the pile of ARMS mounts?  That should have been a hoot, I would have love to seen that.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 23:40
I walked by his booth and there was no pile of ARMS mounts there. 

Edited by RifleDude - January/27/2010 at 23:42
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2010 at 13:11
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Yet another fine review from the Master. Thanks so much for your time, Koshkin.

Sad to see the new Aimpoint was flat though.

Well, this is just one guy's opinion, really.  I may be totally off base and the sight will be a raging success.

ILya
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2010 at 14:24
Ilya - I have a couple questions concerning the Vortex Viper PST (4-16X50 specifically) that I am hoping you or someone can answer for me since you have seen these scopes firsthand. First - Is the reticle still usable if the illumination fails? I assume it is but I have to ask because that would be a deal breaker. Second - what is the warranty on the electronics/illumination? Most manufacturers limit the electronic/illumination components in some way but I can't find any info that says Vortex limits the warranty on the electronics.

Edited by biggreen747 - January/29/2010 at 14:32
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic