OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

right scope.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mathias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: right scope.
    Posted: January/26/2010 at 10:51
I've recently purchased a 50 cal rifle.  I now need to find a scope for it.  My first concern would be mounting a scope that will stand up to the hard recoil.  I have up to $1000.00 to spend.  I'll be shooting past 600 yard at times, so I'm guessing I'll need no more than 20x.  Any suggestion about mounting rings would also be appreciated.  Thanks. 
mathias
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 10:51
super sniper hd, man!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 10:56

SWFA's Super Sniper line is recoil tested for the .50.  They have several options to choice from.  Here is a link to them.

I haven't personally used the HD10X but everyone that has says its definately a keeper.

Good luck with the .50 and welcome to the OT
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 10:59
I personally have the 10x HD mounted on a .50 and it excellent. 

Link to my continuing review:

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Mathias View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mathias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 13:33
mathias
Mathias View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mathias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 13:37
Thanks everyone for the links and info.  I was thinking about a variable scope.  
Something like a 6-20x42.  What's your opinion on the elite 6500 by Bushnell.  The place I'm buying the rifle from sells Nightforce but they start at $1200. 00 and go upward.  Now, a fixed scope vs a variable?  Is one better for certain types of shooting?  Or is one just overall better? Thanks.
mathias
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 13:49
Some say that a fixed is better than a variable because there are less moving parts that can tear up under the heavy recoil.  IMO a quality built variable is no more likely to fail.  But i do not have experience with one on a .50.  KB may know if he has tried any other scopes on Elvira 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 14:29
Actually, a variable is somewhat more likely to secumb to heavy recoil, even the "well built" ones.  The fixed scopes do have fewer internal parts and therefore tend to hold up better, overall.  Nightforce has built a reputation on handling "extreme" recoil and by all reports, lives up to it, which is one of the reasons for the price (it certainly is not the glass).  The variable Super Sniper is "rated" for the .50 and knowing the quality that goes into the SS brand, I believe it will hold up quite well.  I would not have any problems putting the SS variable on a .50 (not Elvira, she's married).  A high quality fixed power is generally a lot less expensive and less likely to fail, the 10xHD is amazing.   
The heaviest recoiling rifle I have is the Ruger #1 .458 Lott.  I did a considerable amount of research before finally settling on a 4x Conquest, just recently, for that rifle.  The front sight sucks in low light or I would not have scoped it.  Anyway, I called a few companies, Leupold in particular, and the CSR told me that "Leupold does not make  a variable power rifle scope that we recommend for the .458 Lott".  John Barsness has received the same information.  I got the same "recommendation" from several other scope makers.  However, some scopes I am certain would not stand up to that recoil, less expensive and generally lower quality scope makers, claimed they could handle it... go figure.  In this case I tend to believe Leupold.  But, the "moment of recoil" of that rifle is quite different than the .50.  Perhaps not a fair comparison. 
There are certainly high end variable scopes that can take the .50's recoil.  Leupold tactical models have mixed reviews... I've not tried one.  IOR 2.5-10 and 2-12 tacticals perform pretty well, at least the ones I have dealt with.  The Super Sniper variable I believe would be an outstanding choice.  Nightforce, of course, but the price is high. 
I will say that a couple of "high end" scope purveyors were not interested in putting their scopes on Elvira for an evaluation when I offered to come to their place and a range of their choosing.  Didn't mind selling them knowing what the intent was, but didn't want to try them in the field first.  A reasonable precaution, I suppose...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Mathias View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mathias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 16:47
Thanks again, everyone.  Kickboxer, will any of the SS scopes work on a 50 cal?  Even those priced at $299.00?  I might be interested in the 16x SS.  I'm concerned the 10x will not be enough magnification at higher yardages, like 800-1100 yards.  Thanks again.    
mathias
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 17:00
All SS are rated for the .50
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 17:21
I can't find the post, but if you need a high powered variable, I believe Chris Farris mentioned the 6.5-20 Leupold as being popular on .50 cal. I'm not sure which particular 6.5-20 model either.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic