OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope advice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billhoag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope advice?
    Posted: January/24/2010 at 08:58

Hello Everybody,

I am looking for a variable power with minimum 12-14 on high side w/30mm tube and tactical knobs to go on a AR15 DMR precision rig for around $500. MD Reticle. Any suggestions?

Edited by Kickboxer - January/26/2010 at 13:29
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2010 at 16:43
11546 Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LR/T 60005, Matte finish, tactical millimg reticle, 30mm tube, side focus, M1 target knobs, very light ring marks like new condition $899.95
This is the best price I have ever seen on this scope if you want a reliable optic in the $500 range you are seriously going to have to make some compromises the next closest thing is the 3-9x42 variable  Super Sniper for $599.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
billhoag View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billhoag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2010 at 19:06
What about the new Weaver Tactical 3-15 ffp at 619.00 seems like a hell of a deal. I know it has MOA W&E sdjustments but other than that its what Im looking for. The price on the Loopy is great, I owned one at one time. Lost job and had to sell all guns. This is my first firearm since I sold off everything. This is why I have to try to remain in budget but I may be able to manage $600.00.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2010 at 19:57
The problem with the Weavers is limited elevation travel. I believe the total travel is only 50 m.o.a. Which does not leave much for long range shooting. 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2010 at 21:20
You might look at the Bushnell 3200 5-15x42, although it might be a 1" tube I believe it meets all of your other requirements......4.3" of eye relief, so you will most likely need a special mount like the burris P.E.P.E.R. or SS SALT or a Larue Tactical....admittedly I know nothing about them but I would give it a shot as long as my life didn't depend on it.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2010 at 23:49
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P41044.aspx  The Super Sniper 3-9x42 was designed specifically for the Army Designated Marksman program for M16A4 flat top.  I have two of them and wish I had a dozen as they are an exceptional scope for $599.95 Having First Focal Plane reticle and 1/10 mil clicks and the mil dot reticle works out very nicely you should search for some of the reviews on here.  As for the ATK owned Weaver as previously mentioned it is disappointing that it only has 50 moa of internal adjustment.  I do like the power range though  but it is 1/4 moa clicks and mildot so two different systems of measuring an angle.   With   a Mil Mil scope like the Super Sniper if your hold over was 4.3 Mil you could hold on the 4th mil dot down and only dial in 3 clicks working like that keeps you from getting lost in the dial.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
billhoag View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billhoag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2010 at 08:47
The only concern I have with the SS is the magnification. My eyes are not what they yous to be. at 500 yd that target can become very hard to see. Even at 15X! The SS would probably make a better choice in a combat scenario for human size targets, but I am afraid I may not be able to see the target clearly. Also since at 500 yd the trajectory of the 223 75Gr HP sighted dead on at 100 yd should drop just under 50" so 50moa should theoretically do the job. Maybe I will have to keep searching. Has anyone had any experience with the Bushnell elite 6500 line of tactical scopes? I would like to drive down to Red Oak tomorow and make a purchase. Its close by and I will hopefully be able to look at the SS first hand and see how 9x might work.
learjet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote learjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2010 at 20:23

be careful bill. the problem w most scopes for LR work is the lack of travel. u cant assume ur mount is straight, just mounting and zeroing the scope could eat signifcantly into that 50 MOA, only half of which will be available for dialin up IF everything is straight, and i dont know of any sloped AR mounts, although they may be out there. im no fan of the plastic insert thingy rings, but they r out there, and they will allow u to gain some moa if needed. ive ditched every scope ive got for various super snipers. the only other scope im usin is an old 4xK4 weaver on a slug gun.  dunno what type of targets u will be shootin, but we shoot 1 MOA stickers to 500, then start shootin steel plates on out to 1k. my buddy shoots his 338 lapua to 1700 w a 10x SS, at 20x40 steel plates. i see ur in dallas, if u want some goood training from old school pros, or just some good advise...goto

ive trained there, even though im on the east coast. i will be goin back. these guys arent tacticool mall ninjas, they will simply tell ya what works
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 13:06
In your price range, there are not a whole lot of scopes that combine everything you want.

I think this one might fit you:

I have been playing with it for a couple of months now (I will publish a review soon; I am largely done, but I want to run it on my 338LM first), and it is a nice piece with clear improvements compared to its predecessor.

ILya
billhoag View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billhoag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 14:21
at this point I think my best bet is the Super sniper 10x42m. And when my situation changes I will try to find a better scope and sell the ss if not just keep it and purchase another rifle maybe 308 bolt and mount ss on it. I owned one for years and I am familiar with it. I know that its a tough scope and for the money it cannot be beat. I really want to thank everybody for their help. I think the information I recieved kept me from making a uninformed decision. Does anybody know if I need  medium or high rings. I have a set of Leupold med Qrw rings in 30mm. I hope they will work.
billhoag View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billhoag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 18:07
One thing I think I remember about the SS was the long eye relief being a mounting issue. I don't much care for the mounts that put your scope  forward on your reciever. has anybody had a problem with this?
learjet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote learjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 20:56
dunno, i think the eye relief on the SS is just right. shootin bolt guns, and 1 on my m1a.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic