OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

glass comparison

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: glass comparison
    Posted: January/23/2010 at 23:31
how does the glass compare between s11big sky,ss,conquest and 4200 in 3x9? thanks
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2010 at 10:07
I don't own an S2 and have never shot one, but have shot an S3 (presumably better, than S2, but can't say for sure.)

I'd put the SS and Conquest on the same line with 4200 a discernible step down.

Comparing the S3 to SS and Conquest, I'd say glass is about even across the board.

Big point: this is glass only, these scopes differ greatly and I wouldn't interpret "similar glass" to mean "similar scope."

As this is the tactical thread, I'll be certain to clarify that the SS is the only "tactical" scope in the lineup (there is a 4200 tactical, but I wouldn't really call that a "tactical" scope in anything but name.)
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2010 at 15:37
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I don't own an S2 and have never shot one, but have shot an S3 (presumably better, than S2, but can't say for sure.)

I'd put the SS and Conquest on the same line with 4200 a discernible step down.

Comparing the S3 to SS and Conquest, I'd say glass is about even across the board.

Big point: this is glass only, these scopes differ greatly and I wouldn't interpret "similar glass" to mean "similar scope."

As this is the tactical thread, I'll be certain to clarify that the SS is the only "tactical" scope in the lineup (there is a 4200 tactical, but I wouldn't really call that a "tactical" scope in anything but name.)

I don't own a Super Sniper as of yet, but I am considering one for my Sako 75 V, chambered in .243 Win. I do own a Conquest 3.5-10X-44mm, and I like it very much. (it sits atop of a Rem 700 chambered in .308 Win for whitetail, and blackbear)

My question to you Rancid (and I am NOT trying to be a smart ass) is the Super Sniper glass really that good ? Also, if YOU were to mount a SS on a Sako 75 V, (.243 Win) to use strickly for ground hog hunting in PA, what magnification would you choose between the 16X and 20X ? I don't shoot less than 300 yards for earthpigs, and absolute max would be 1000 yards, but 800 yards would be closer to the truth. (the Sako 75 V has a 1 in 10" twist bbl, so the 90 gr Lapua Scenars are the heaviest pill that it will stabilize) Also, are the crosshairs on the SS thin enough so as not to cover the g-hog at 600 + yards ?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2010 at 17:04
Blackbird if you are looking for a varmit scope you might really like the Sightron SIII scopes.  The fixed power original series of Super Sniper Scopes  10x,  10x side focus, 16x, and 20x are decent glass but the 16x and 20x will suffer in low light due to the physics of exit eye pupil size where a variable power scope can have power dialed down to brighten the image.  In bright daylight the 20x is a fun scope to play with and I'm sure you could prove quite deadly on groundhogs.   The two new models of Super Sniper scopes the 3-9x42 and the 10x HD are absolutely fantastic glass and worth much more than they cost they also have clicks in 1/10 mil  so the adjustment matches the reticle.   There will also be some other additions to the line in the next couple of years I believe.  One would be a 6x of the same quality as the original models and there should be additional low and high power variables with the new improved glass time will tell.  The 3-9 actually has a very fine reticle and is first focal plane.  You may wish to consider these also:
11546 Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LR/T 60005, Matte finish, tactical millimg reticle, 30mm tube, side focus, M1 target knobs, very light ring marks like new condition   $899.95
11565 Nightforce 3.5-15X50 NXS NXS1550MLR, Matte finish, MLR reticle, 30mm tube, 1/4moa target knobs, side focus, ring marks $1,299.95
11544 Nightforce 3.5-15X50 NXS NXS1550NPR2, Matte finish, NP-R2 reticle, 30mm tube, 1/4moa target knobs, side focus, ring marks $1,199.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2010 at 18:01
Thank You Uri... ! When I ground-hog hunt in Pennsylvania it is always in open fields, and usually sunny. (some days it might be cloudy, but we never hunt hogs in the rain) I think that a straight power scope will work fine for the conditions that I hunt. When I use any of my target rifles with Nightforce scopes mounted, (for hog hunting off of a bench) the lowest power that I have ever turned down to was 20X. But, the CH-3 reticle isn't the best for hunting. Anyway, I never new that the glass on the SS was rated so high. I just thought that they were a decent scope for the money.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2010 at 18:09
The glass on the two new models the 3-9 and the 10x HD is rated Very High.
The glass on the other models is more middle of the road.
Sightron has also recently introduced a fixed 20x42 and I would expect the glass on it to be better than the 20x42 Super Sniper because the price is higher and I have heard very positive things about the SIII but for about half the price the Super Sniper is a real  bargain.
Sightron 20x42 SIII 30mm Riflescope Sightron 20x42 SIII 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SIII20X42MMD
  • Matte
  • Modified Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • Target Knobs
$549.95 
Add Sightron 20x42 SIII 30mm Riflescope to Cart
SWFA SS 20x42 Tactical Riflescope Mil-Dot SWFA SS 20x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS20X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$279.95 
Add SWFA SS 20x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2010 at 19:16
Blackbird, sorry I wasn't more clear:  as stated above, the new 3-9 and 10X HD have FAR SUPERIOR glass compared to the older fixed 10X.  And yes, I would say the 3-9 is as good as the 3-9 Conquest and held its own nicely against some much higher-priced glass.

I've never been ground hog hunting (but would like to someday.)  I don't generally advise scopes over about 15X for most siutations - then again, my game is mostly tactical scopes.

As Wes said (Ufriend, that is) the S3 series from Sightron is quite good for the money.  I did a review a few months back, I liked the scope allot.  For the money, I've seen nothing that beats it.

If money were no object, there are other scopes I'd buy first, but nothing is a better deal that I've seen or shot.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=18547
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2010 at 19:50
thanks RC  but does anyone else have an opinion? on my post?3x9
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
learjet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote learjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2010 at 20:28
dont have a 3-9x SS, but ive been  huntin groundhogs here in MD w my standard 10xss for years, and ive never felt under glassed. cant wait to get the HD out this spring. the HD appears to be a big improvement over the standard10, which i thought was pretty decent. i dont have the HD mounted yet, but ive been lookin at stuff through itwhenever i get the chance
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic