OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lathe turned bullets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lathe turned bullets
    Posted: January/23/2010 at 13:39
I have questions reguarding turning homemade bullets on a lathe. I'm sure many hobbyists, who are machinists have done this, but many don't share information freely. This may be a question for one of the engineer types here, but what type of copper should one use if you were going to try such a thing? I've found c-110 copper rod here in town, but don't know if I should use annealed copper, or the hardened stuff. I've looked into the GS custom bullets, and know they turn custom copper projectiles, but of course they don't really share information too readily either.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2010 at 16:29
hardened, but expect a lot of fouling...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2010 at 18:07

Fouling is expected to be as bad as it is with Barnes bullets. I'd like to pursue gilding metal, but don't know where to find it, or how much it will cost. Not really looking to mass produce, just an experiment.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2010 at 18:40
And I thought I was a fanatic for casting my own 45-70 bullets.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2010 at 19:38
Well, I have access to a perfectly good CNC lathe. Why not give it a shot, and see what I come up with. I may just invent the next great hunting bullet. Unfortunately they would be very expensive. I understand now, after pricing copper, why barnes bullets are so expensive.

trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2010 at 16:47
I'm wondering what kind of tolerances the bullet companies hold? In checking some Berger Vld's and Nosler Accubonds, I've found diameters to be -.0004 to +.0002 from .308. I've found lenghts to run about + or- .006. I should be able to hold + or- .0002. I hope this is good enough.

338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 16:21
if you get good at it i would buy .338 and .408
No one
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic