OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Scope For .257 Weatherby Vanguard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuddyDudd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Scope For .257 Weatherby Vanguard
    Posted: January/22/2010 at 00:50
I have a New never fired .257 Weatherby Vanguard I picked up from a Buddy for 200 bucks that he won at a NWTF banquet a couple years ago. Being a fan of the "FORUM" I like to think some day some wild creature may fall at the hands of my personally aquired skills at delivering "DEATH FROM AFAR". In reality out of my personal arsenal the longest sight range I have I can visit is 150yds. I like to think on a blue collar salary some day I may be able to practice and truly become long range as alot of the Forum members speak of.
  This rifle has a NWTF stamped triggerguard and I have since dumped the plastic stock for a Claro Walnut I have personally rubbed nine coats of Tru-Oil onto. I am a fan of Zeiss. Have the 6.5-20x50 Varmint Reticle on my 700VLS 22-250. 
  Is Leupold I perceive trashed here like Wal-Mart cause they are the biggest? I need honesty. Can't afford to buy and sell like most.  Would love to pick a great topper for this rifle for around 500.00. But come what may I know most will say 4.5-14x44/50 Rapid-Z800. Really like the idea of Dialing the Leupold Custom Shop and giving them the Ballistics for Berger 115VLD and getting a custom reticle in the VX-3.    WILL I BE DISSAPOINTEED IN THE QUALITY/DISCERNABLE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CONQUEST AND VX-3 GLASS?  Honest shooter opinion's solicited only. NO TESTER LOBBYIST RESPONSE PLEASE. WILLING TO PAY FOR SATISFACTION BUT DON'T RECOMMEND 2,000 GREEN BACK PLEASE.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2010 at 06:26
My own opinion is that the VX3 and Conquests are on a par with each other now. Others here may not agree.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2010 at 08:42
they are pretty close, the conquest may be a hair better in lower light levels.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
FuddyDudd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuddyDudd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2010 at 22:23
Thanks guys.  That deal on the 3-9 conquest sold me. Heck, the Zeiss is probably just as American as Leupold anyway.  Besides that, I slipped in locally and picked up a Accu-point Jesus scope with Jap glass  this weekend.  Like I told a buddy, I had to give that Weatherby to my sweety when I found out I could order me one of them 700SF .257WB's and have it here in ten days. And I'm gonna out shoot er' with my 3-9 Conquest.  All year long!!
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 06:40

Wow. Looks like you'll be on your honey's good side.

A .257 Weatherby Vanguard for $200? And a Conquest and an Accupoint? Just Wow!

None of my buddies would part with a gun for any reason, bunch o' knotheads, anyway. 

Wish somebody would give me a .257 Weatherby. Or sell me one cheap.

While I'm wishing...

I wish Zeiss would bring back their lower- power tweener Conquest, or maybe a 1.5-4.5...

Just looked through a VX-3L and a Diavari at late dusk and the VX-3L was brighter- it had a bigger objective- (56 vs Zeiss 50), which explains the light gathering, but the Leupold was no slouch in an other way that I could see. I can't personally deal with a cut-out lens or huge bells, but the Leupold was very impressive.

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 09:24
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

Wow. Looks like you'll be on your honey's good side.

A .257 Weatherby Vanguard for $200? And a Conquest and an Accupoint? Just Wow!

None of my buddies would part with a gun for any reason, bunch o' knotheads, anyway. 

Wish somebody would give me a .257 Weatherby. Or sell me one cheap.

While I'm wishing...

I wish Zeiss would bring back their lower- power tweener Conquest, or maybe a 1.5-4.5...

Just looked through a VX-3L and a Diavari at late dusk and the VX-3L was brighter- it had a bigger objective- (56 vs Zeiss 50), which explains the light gathering, but the Leupold was no slouch in an other way that I could see. I can't personally deal with a cut-out lens or huge bells, but the Leupold was very impressive.Loco

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 10:47

Just looked through a VX-3L and a Diavari at late dusk and the VX-3L was brighter- it had a bigger objective- (56 vs Zeiss 50), which explains the light gathering, but the Leupold was no slouch in an other way that I could see. I can't personally deal with a cut-out lens or huge bells, but the Leupold was very impressive.

Same power setting?

If there is one thing for which Leupold is NOT known, it is their low light capabilities.  To say a Diavari, arguably the brightest scope on the market for low light shooting (without moving to night vision), was bested by a Leupold, there has to be more to that story.

Was the Diavari coated in mud and frozen for 2 months in a deep freeze just before comparing to the VX3?  If not, you had your hands on the worst Daivari ever made OR the best Leupold ever made.

Were they both yours?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 16:08
Originally posted by FuddyDudd FuddyDudd wrote:

I have a New never fired .257 Weatherby Vanguard I picked up from a Buddy for 200 bucks that he won at a NWTF banquet a couple years ago. Being a fan of the "FORUM" I like to think some day some wild creature may fall at the hands of my personally aquired skills at delivering "DEATH FROM AFAR". In reality out of my personal arsenal the longest sight range I have I can visit is 150yds. I like to think on a blue collar salary some day I may be able to practice and truly become long range as alot of the Forum members speak of.
  This rifle has a NWTF stamped triggerguard and I have since dumped the plastic stock for a Claro Walnut I have personally rubbed nine coats of Tru-Oil onto. I am a fan of Zeiss. Have the 6.5-20x50 Varmint Reticle on my 700VLS 22-250. 
  Is Leupold I perceive trashed here like Wal-Mart cause they are the biggest? I need honesty. Can't afford to buy and sell like most.  Would love to pick a great topper for this rifle for around 500.00. But come what may I know most will say 4.5-14x44/50 Rapid-Z800. Really like the idea of Dialing the Leupold Custom Shop and giving them the Ballistics for Berger 115VLD and getting a custom reticle in the VX-3.    WILL I BE DISSAPOINTEED IN THE QUALITY/DISCERNABLE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CONQUEST AND VX-3 GLASS?  Honest shooter opinion's solicited only. NO TESTER LOBBYIST RESPONSE PLEASE. WILLING TO PAY FOR SATISFACTION BUT DON'T RECOMMEND 2,000 GREEN BACK PLEASE.

Where are you in Alabama? Brocks Gap in Hoover has a 500 yard range, you can shoot in matches on the second and third Saturdays of the month.

http://www.scssa.org

Edited by Steelbenz - January/26/2010 at 18:00
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 16:15
But not with .50BMG...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
FuddyDudd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuddyDudd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 17:05
Hey SteelBenz thanks for that range info. I will definitely look into it! I am in Heflin @ 80 miles from Hoover.  Not far at all for a Supertrucker!  Are you familiar with this place? Is it a membership only club with time restricted enrollment? Gonna go see if Google's got em'. Thanks again.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 17:56
Yes, I shoot there regularly. The matches are open to the public, the match fees are 15 dollars and 5 dollars per flight after that. E-mail Larry Lavine for a shooting time, he's the match director.   larlevine@gmail.com

Yes Dan, Elvira will not be allowed to destroy the berms. The Lott is a confirmed tree killer but the berm can handle Mr Lott.  But that woman has got to stay at the house. LOL!

Edited by Steelbenz - January/26/2010 at 18:02
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 03:38
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Same power setting?

If there is one thing for which Leupold is NOT known, it is their low light capabilities.  To say a Diavari, arguably the brightest scope on the market for low light shooting (without moving to night vision), was bested by a Leupold, there has to be more to that story.

Was the Diavari coated in mud and frozen for 2 months in a deep freeze just before comparing to the VX3?  If not, you had your hands on the worst Daivari ever made OR the best Leupold ever made.

Were they both yours?

They were at a dealer- both on same power- looking at the east side of a building with lots of detail within 10 minutes after sunset- the Leupold was brighter and I commented same- the dealer agreed and touted the big bell (ya think?) I didn't crank the focus, just set both at same power. The Zeiss had a #4 reticle and the VX-3L had some ballistic type, both visible against the night sky and the dark side of the building. It was obvious that the Leupold was brighter, I didn't have to "guess" which was brightest. 

The VX-3L was noticeably brighter than the Zeiss Diavari.

You don't have to believe me, try it yourself. 

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 07:29

On second thought, I may be wrong about the objective diameters. I wasn't there to see either of those models, but the salesman handed 'em to me, so I looked.

The Zeiss may be a 42mm and the Leupold a 50mm... the VX-3L seemed to be "the next size bigger" than the Zeiss. I'll be back up there in the next few days to buy some powder/bullets and will give exact info... until then, just go ahead and think I'm a nut. 

Might be.

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 09:24
I'm not dogging you, but - as I said before - if there is one thing Leupold is NOT known for, it is the one thing Diavari IS known for, that is low light performance.

I don't have to look for myself, I spent probably 3 months last year looking through everything I could find for low light hunters.  I compared everything and the 3-12x56 Victory Diavari was the best I have ever seen.

In truth, I cannot see a VX3 beating a Conquest, but it is possible if the Conquest is 44 and the VX3 is 50 or 56.

When you go back, look through them again, check the power setting and the models, I'd be interested.  Hell, I might want "that" Leupold, maybe it is a fluke and it is the best glass Leupold has ever put in a scope - or the Diavari is the worst.

Trying to convince optics guys that Leupold has better low light performance than Diavari (all things being equal) is like trying to convince a NASCAR driver that a VW bug is the fastest car on the planet: maybe there's a fast bug somewhere, but "it" doesn't represent "them".

Edited for terrible spelling

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - January/27/2010 at 09:25
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 11:18
I have compared these two scopes. (In store) I can only say that I got a different view. The new Leupold is a step forward (LONG OVERDUE) but isn't at the same level as the Diavari. Even only in store the contrast and resolution differences were obvious.
Now every one sees things differently, and certain types of coatings appeal more to some than to others, and depending upon your own eyes ability to discern different hues of light, one scope may appear to be better, but once the light becomes critically low, the difference will become more than apparent.
It is also noteworthy to address the fact that ones eyesight can limit the appreciation for differences in contrast and resolution beyond a certain quality level. For those that have exceptional vision the higher quality lenses will always out perform the lower.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 11:44
Good points.  Also, if the Diavari was a pre-LoTutec version, it might be closer.  If it is a LoTutec scope, I have trouble believing there would be any comparison, even if you  look through the Zeiss backwards it'd be the Leupold.  Well, maybe not, but maybe!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 14:16

Hey, Rancid Coolaid,

It might just be my eyes. I am trying to figure if I can get back up there tonight to find out. I'm not trying to convince anyone here of anything. I didn't have a clue about anything optical until I started hanging out around here and still don't know much. You can tell that by how I used the term "light gathering" earlier.

Never having seen a Diavari before and knowing them only from what I'd read here, I was quite surprised that that big- bell Leupold was brighter. I told the man handing me the optics that I couldn't believe that the Leupold was brighter than the Diavari. He agreed it was brighter and said it was because of the big bell. He may also have mentioned the coatings. I know the Zeiss was the Diavari because I asked him the correct way to pronounce it and he corrected me. 

cyborg,

You may be right about perceptions of brightness, colors, etc. being affected by poor vision. My poor old eyes are corrected by my Zeiss lenses, which is ironic and kind of funny under the circumstances. I do also remember the Leupold showing more of the actual yellowish tint of the building than the Zeiss did.

The optics salesman also saw the brightness difference and he wasn't wearing glasses and was a lot younger than me. I think the only reason he handed me the Leupold in the first place was because I'd made a comment about how much brighter the Diavari was than the Conquest and the other scopes he'd shown me. That's when the Leupold came out of the display case. He knew I'd be impressed. I protested that I didn't like big bells and crescent cutouts, but looked through it anyway.

The best optics I own are Sightron Big Sky and Bushnell Elite 4200, followed by a VX-II and some other stuff- nothing in the same league as what we've been talking about. 

Perhaps my memory is as faulty as my eyes. Even though tonight will be cloudy and it was clear the evening I was there, I think I'll drive up there tonight and check it out again at dusk. You guys are causing me to doubt myself, because you've taught me a lot and I value what I've learned here.

For anyone in the OKC area that wants to find out for themselves, the store is the new one way up on N. Kelly in Edmond, the one with the west- facing windows next to the optics counter.

Later...

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 14:32
Remember that there are wavelengths that are more readily accepted by human eyes. This all dependent upon the number of cones and rods respectfully and relatively speaking. We all are different in the number of each type of receptors present. Some people have more rods present than others, they are prone to be color blind, but generally have better night vision than others. Naturally the more cones that are present the more aptly you will see shades and hues of various colors in the spectrum. Coatings are a great way to make a scope seem brighter than it actually is. Once the spectrum of colors fades away and the spectrum becomes more bluish, this is when the real difference will come into play. Age really has nothing to do with any of this. It is purely genetics, and eye health. Not all are created equal.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
FuddyDudd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuddyDudd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 15:01
I have not seen the March products and I certainly believe as much as is written here that more than likely the Voretx HD could very well compete with what I call Tier 1 German Glass.  That being said.....I am familiar with Zeiss as I own the big Conquest. So far. And I have looked at VX-3 and vx-7 and Diavari together.  Granted being, some of the VX-7 Glass could be from the Czech Republic or elsewhere that American Armies liberated in WWII but still the Leupold Tier 1 is a tier two compared to a DIAVARI.  JMO.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 15:05
Not trying to run you off or say it ain't so, just want passers by to know that it would be highly unusual for a Diavari to lose in a low light competition with any Leupold product.

All is well, carry on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic