OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

VX-III, Conquest, or SightronII???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ourabmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VX-III, Conquest, or SightronII???
    Posted: August/24/2005 at 00:01
Hello and thanks for the info. I have narrowed it down to these three scopes in a 3x9. The scope is going on a Tikka White Tail Hunter 7 Mag. The Luppy and Cnquest are pretty close in price, while the Sightron II is around $200.

My question is, are the Zeiss and Luppy worth the extra coin? Thanks for the input.
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2005 at 09:23

I have no experience with the Sightron II, I do own several Leupolds & one Conquest. Optically speaking the Leupold & Conquest are great for the money.

Leupold has outstanding customer service and what is objectionably the best warranty in the business.

As far as customer service I think Zeiss is just as good as Leupold, or at least from my experience. (Emailing them questions & speaking with customer service reps). I've not had to put the Zeiss warranty to the test, but an acquaintance of mine had a minor problem with a Zeiss scope and they sent him a whole new scope no questions asked. (Can't recall what the problem was or the type of Zeiss he was using, sorry.)

Some of the more informed members of the forum will be able to weigh in on this a bit more than I.

SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2005 at 21:11
conquest hands down
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2005 at 10:55
Go find the article in Rifle Magazine from about a year ago on who builds the toughest scopes.  After you read it, you'll buy a Leupold or spend a lot more money on a Swarovski.  If you want to spend less, you'll get a Burris Fullfield II. All the custom rifle builders interviewed said that they prefer Leupold or Swarovski, and on hard kickers nothing but Leupold.  If you read it, you'll also steer clear of big heavy scopes with big objective lenses on a hunting rifle.  There's very little mention of Zeiss and none of Conquest.  I have a Conquest on one of my rifles, and it's a beautiful scope to look through, better than my VX III's.  But, when I grab a rifle and need to know it's going to shoot exactly where I intend, even after it's bounced around on the 4 wheeler for a few days, I grab the Kimber 84 with a VXIII 2.5-8.  It's always right.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2005 at 13:47

Conquest.

ranburr

308LAW View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308LAW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2005 at 21:12
The Conquest is great for the money but the most awsume scope under a grand is the Kahles CL series, at about 800 they are way better than twice the optics of the conquest or the vari-x III.
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2005 at 19:23
actually you can get brand new diavari Zeiss V 1" 3-9x42 scope for under $1,000 now
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2005 at 07:57
Conquest 1st, Leupold 2nd, and if your looking to save money, according to my riflesmith, the Sightron makes a decent scope forthe money.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2005 at 08:03
MWYATES, did you skip of the pages about the B&L Elite 4200's. You might want to go back to the article by John Barsness and read over it. Mr. Barsness wrote a very no holes barred book named Optics for the Hunter. Great choice on your rifle. They are great shooters!!!!

Edited by Roy Finn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic