OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Optics for the 50cal Barrett

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airborngrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Optics for the 50cal Barrett
    Posted: January/20/2010 at 20:33
Need some help here. I have been looking to put new optics on my Barrett 95 but with so many choice's thought some of the experts can help.  I have been an ironsight shooter for many years with optics only on my deer rifle.  I have seen different optics but a few have had a fixed 10 power with the Bores system.  I have also used a few of them but they weren't mine. 

Can anyone recommend something that will stand up to the abuse of many rounds downrange.

Most of shooting will be from 400 yards untill I can't see it.

Is the BORS system by Barrett work the money.

Money wise skys not the limit but would spend what I need to make it happen  and then combine the BORS system if it is worth it.

I know the rifle is not worth much without great optics.
Thanks in advance for all your help.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 20:38
super sniper would be my first suggestion
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Scopes-C1719.aspx

Edited by pyro6999 - January/20/2010 at 20:39
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 21:21
If you are planning on BORS, you are limited to:

BORS is dimensioned for and compatible with non-illuminated Leupold Mark IV tactical scopes in 3.5-10, 4.5-14, 6.5-20 and 8.5-25 powers. BORS is available either by itself or factory installed on the 4.5-14 power Leupold.

Works with these scopes:
Leupold® Mark IV 3.5-10x40mm LR/T M1
Leupold Mark IV 4.5-14x50mm LR/T M1
Leupold Mark IV 6.5-20x50mm LR/T M1
Leupold Mark IV 8.5-25x50mm LR/T M1
Leupold Mark IV 8.5-25x50mm ER/T M1

Illuminated or non-illuminated 
Users I have spoken to have high praise for it.

You can get software for a PDA which is very similar in capability, but will work for you with any optic.  I think iPhone has a "freeby" you can access.

The SS10xHD would hold up very well on your .50.  I have one on the Anzio Iron Works lightweight .50 and am very happy with the combination. 

Edited by Kickboxer - January/20/2010 at 21:38
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2010 at 09:29
BORS isn't worth the money, get a PDA program or the iPhone app ("Bulletflight", it isn't the best but is steadily improving.)

If you want a fixed 10X, it would be hard to beat the 10X HD supersniper; however, for a 50, I'd want a little more magnification.  That is one of very few rounds that justifies, in my opinion, something in the 5-25X range.  Granted, to get good glass in <20X, you need to spend a fair amount of $$ - and if that isn't possible, better glass always beat more magnification.

What is your budget?

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - January/21/2010 at 19:52
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
airborngrunt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airborngrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2010 at 19:21
Budget is around $800.00 give or take a few.
Always keep your power dry and your finger ready.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2010 at 22:25
The problem with the iPhone thing is... if there is no phone service.  A PDA, as I said, works with any scope you go with.  There are some very good PDA apps.  
Just a question, and don't take this the wrong way, but, if your scope budget is around $800 or so, why are you even concerned with BORS.  Scope and BORS will cost you 3-4 times that amount.  It's your pocket book, just wondering about the disparity...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2010 at 08:57
I was wondering the same thing, BORS is $1500 without the scope.

The iPhone ap works with or without cell service, just FYI.

For $800, on a 50, I'd do the 10X HD.  A 100-yard shot with a 50 is a total waste, and the 10X will get you out to 1000+ comfortably.
Lastly, get good rings!  I'd recommend Badger max 50s, they ain't cheap, but when every shot costs $5+, the extra $ on rings will be money well spent.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2010 at 17:31
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P42527.aspx
Badger Max 50 rings.
If I was going BORS I would first see if it will work with the newest models of Leupold Mk4 in FFP wiht 1/10 mil clicks that are just now introduced at Shot and should be available this year.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2010 at 10:12
To clarify my prior remarks: BORS isn't a bad thing; however, for a single-scope solution, it is only marginally better than a PDA and a log book.

The plus to the BORS is that it takes the note-keeping and "thinking" out of the equation.  The big minus is that it goes on one scope, one rifle, and cannot be used across platforms (with ease.)
The big plus to pda+notes is that you can build data for every rifle, every round, and every circumstance in which you shoot - and logs and pencils are cheap.  The big minus is that it ain't idiot-proof and there is the note-keeping.

With an unlimited budget, I still wouldn't put the $1500 into a BORS, I'd buy better glass and a iPhone or iTouch, "Bulletflight" is getting better and is more than usable.  For the pda route, Nightforce has good software, as do a few others.

For the 50, get the 10X HD with max 50 rings and call it a day.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2010 at 10:49
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I was wondering the same thing, BORS is $1500 without the scope.

The iPhone ap works with or without cell service, just FYI.

For $800, on a 50, I'd do the 10X HD.  A 100-yard shot with a 50 is a total waste, and the 10X will get you out to 1000+ comfortably.
Lastly, get good rings!  I'd recommend Badger max 50s, they ain't cheap, but when every shot costs $5+, the extra $ on rings will be money well spent.

some of the features include instantaneous access to local weather, gone with no phone service, which gives it no more utility than a standard PDA with a good ballistics program.  

Shooting a .50 at 100 yards may be a "waste", but still FUN...

Edited by Kickboxer - January/24/2010 at 10:53

Mathias View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mathias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 18:21
Hi, everyone.  I'm also looking to mount a scope on a 50 cal.  I'm thinking about the 16-42 SS.  Anyone know where I can order those Badger Max 50 rings?
mathias
Mathias View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mathias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 19:03
I found out that I can order them from SWFA.  Thanks anyway.
mathias

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 19:14
Mathias,

Be advised: 16X on a hot day is not a good thing, mirage will sideline you.

KB, yea, for the weather part, true, but I don't interface with weather reports anyway, my Kestrel gets that job.
airborngrunt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airborngrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 18:47
Thank you all for the advice. I'll let you know what I end up with.
Always keep your power dry and your finger ready.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 18:52

Mathias,

Be advised: 16X on a hot day is not a good thing, mirage will sideline you.

KB, yea, for the weather part, true, but I don't interface with weather reports anyway, my Kestrel gets that job.

I use the Kestrel 4200...

0311GRUNT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0311GRUNT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 20:44

BORS isn't worth the money, get a PDA program or the iPhone app ("Bulletflight", it isn't the best but is steadily improving.)

If you want a fixed 10X, it would be hard to beat the 10X HD supersniper; however, for a 50, I'd want a little more magnification.  That is one of very few rounds that justifies, in my opinion, something in the 5-25X range.  Granted, to get good glass in <20X, you need to spend a fair amount of $$ - and if that isn't possible, better glass always beat more magnification.

What is your budget?
I agree.I was in Murfreesboro with my brother a while back and one of their techs told me personally he thougt it was a waste of money. He said "If you know how to manipulate the BORS system you probably are smart enought o calculate your own shot on paper with maybe a slighlty longer equate time. Though if you have the dough i guess you can make the pizza, but still I would spend the money elsewhere.
You cant hit what you cant see
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 00:31
what about swarovski 10x 
No one

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 09:20
I've never played with the Swaro fixed 10X, has anyone?

I do have Swaro glass and it is among the finest I've ever seen - my guess is the 10X is good to go.

I know they made a run for Barrett and that was the scope coupled with the rifle in a package.

Also, I just got the 10X HD, nice piece of glass, good fit for a 50-cal not looking for 1500 yard shots.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 09:29
Even though it will certainly "reach" further, I figure 1200 is about as far as one wants to shoot an 18" barreled .50 like mine with the 10x scope. 

338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2010 at 14:33
YES, IT IS COMMONLY USED...

It has proper ranging for up to 700gr bullet...

Mil-dot is better for overall but the 10x swarovski if you can still get it or find one is a match made in heaven...
No one
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic