OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buster95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope power
    Posted: January/20/2010 at 15:26
I need a scope for my brand new Marlin 917vr for target shooting only, how much power is best for this, I'm interested in a Mueller APT 4.5-14X40 (not APV) with mil dot reticle and 80 moa of elevation and a Mueller  8-32X44 with target dot reticle with 40 moa of elevation, I don't know if 40 moa is enough for a 17 hmr, I have pratically no experience with scopes.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 15:36
At what ranges will you be shooting?
What is your budget range?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Teddy Bear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddy Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 15:46

What yardage are you planning on shooting?  8-32 seems like a bit of overkill for a rimfire rifle.  I have a savage HMR that I use for groundhogs and 200yds would be pushing its capabilities but than again I am not target shooting with it.

Buster95 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buster95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 15:53

As I said I have pratically no experience with scopes and this is my first 17 hmr, my rifle range offers a distance of 100 yards and 200 yards but what is the max effective range for a 17 hmr? My budget is about $200-$300.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 15:54
Personally I would be looking at something like a 3-9x.  Glass quality is always better than magnification.  You can get a really nice 3-9x for under $300.  But not such a good high powered for the same price.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 16:39
for a 200 yd shot i cant see any reason to get anything more than a 2.5x10 or a 3x9
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 16:42
Originally posted by Buster95 Buster95 wrote:

As I said I have pratically no experience with scopes and this is my first 17 hmr, my rifle range offers a distance of 100 yards and 200 yards but what is the max effective range for a 17 hmr? My budget is about $200-$300.

What are you needing it to be effective on? I've shot targets with one out to 300 yards, but the wind will really wreak havoc on those light bullets at longer ranges. On critters, I'd keep the ranges shorter.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 17:10
Maybe for a range rifle or varmints a fixed power might be a better suit a fixed 6x or maybe a 10x? If you go the fixed power route you may save a little money and get a better quality optic vs. a variable of the same price?
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 17:29

For target only out to 200 yards 16x ss $320 with this you will get a nice crystal clear sight picture.
froggy
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddy Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 18:49
[QUOTE=Buster95]

As I said I have pratically no experience with scopes and this is my first 17 hmr, my rifle range offers a distance of 100 yards and 200 yards but what is the max effective range for a 17 hmr? My budget is about $200-300

I use a Bushnell Banner 3.5-10 with the BDC designed for the 17 HMR on mine.  Not great glass but for the money works well on groundhogs out to 200yds.  Remember at 200yds those light bullets are dropping around 8" and moving sideways over 8" with just a 5mph wind.  If I was to do it over, think I'd go with the Vortex Diamondback 3.5-10x50 for $230.  Good quality at a reasonable price.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddy Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 19:06
Whatever scope you decide on, I'm sure you'll enjoy shooting the 17HMR.  That's a fun little toy when a rimfire bullet can get up to 2550fps.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 19:54
I put the 6-24X50 Vortex Crossfire (SWFA $99.00 special) on mine. Way more power than I need but decent glass for varmint and paper. Mine is usually between 10x and 16x (it mills at 14x) and I only shoot it out to 300yds. Beyond that it has the wind drift of a mylar baloon and the drop of a rock. BTW I also have the 917 and I had to use Burris Signature rings with +/-20 inserts turned on thier sides to properly align the scope as the drilling and tapping is not as straight as it should be.

Edited by biggreen747 - January/20/2010 at 20:06
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic