OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

semi-auto or not for hogs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skydogIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: semi-auto or not for hogs
    Posted: January/19/2010 at 23:39
I am trying to get rid(realistically slow down) of a wild pig problem in my area. I have been using a 45/70 lever action for night hunting so I can drop them from any angel, and Winchester model 70 30-06 for dawn and dusk, or any time I might see them at longer range. So my question is, would I be better off with a semi-auto when I happen to find pigs in large numbers. Alot of traditional hunters say "By the time you recover from the recoil you can re-chamber another round", but logic tells me otherwise.  I tried a 44 mag auto loader for a quicker recovery time but found it too weak, especially for a second or third shot which can't be as well placed a running animal.  I have been look at the browning bar in a 30-06 and then I found a winchester sxr (made by browning) on close out for $580  + fees. Will it help me enough to justify the expence? I can't run a supressor as I am in CA so that does limit a real fast second shot when using spot lights.
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 01:37
I live in Australia and over here, before the 1996 gun buyback that happened after the Port Arthur massacre, using semi auto rifles (and pump action shotguns) when culling pigs was just as common as using a lever or bolt action rifle.

BTW We're not bothered about losing our (worn out) semi auto rifles/shotguns and pump action shotguns...we took that compensation money the government gave us and then walked to the nearest gun shop!...So today there are more guns in Australia that at the time of the Port Arthur massacre!...The state I live in (South Australia) there are 64,000 licenced shooters who own 370,000 guns!!!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 07:37

Semi is good but its not an excuss just to spray lead into the mix and hope that you get two or three.  Yes a good semi is used often hog hunting.  I think a lot of the members here use ar10 variant or some sort or another.  They all seem to be happy with the ability to make the good followup shots and take more than one at a time.  I haven't used the SXR and have no ideal how it recoils which will play some factor in follow up shots, AR's normally tend to recoil back and have less muzzle jump so follow up shots are quicker than with some semi auto hunting rifles.

skydogIII View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skydogIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2010 at 12:18
The SXR is variant of the Browning bar, now on close out. We can't have AR's in CA, but someone recommend a m1a.  The only problem is that they are heavy for packing through steep brush land, and way over double the price. I know what you mean about "spraying the pigs with bullets" not being so effective because they tend be almost uneffected by poorly placed shots. I see the point made that the hunting based semi-auto may not stay on taget as well as heavier military designed rifle. I was also told a .308 might be better than 30-06 for follow up shots.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2010 at 12:57
I've used a variety of rifles for hog hunting.  If you encounter a large group of hogs together so that you have a follow-up shot opportunity at another hog, then yes, a semi-auto is an advantage, if you have a fast aiming scope and have the ability to get back on target quickly.  We have been using AR10 .308 clones for our semi-auto hog medicine with success. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2010 at 15:50
The problem with most semi auto rifles that can be had in CA is that ones like a Browning in 338WM will only have a 3 round magazine capacity so you have helped yourself very little.  The M1a can be had with 20 round magazines although you may have to buy mags while on vacation outside CA but even with a 10 round should be a lot more firepower.  The SOCOM model is quite compact and has a scout rail for an aimpoint or scout scope.  The AR-15  and AR 10 platforms both have numerous calibers that are chambered for effective rounds  and might offer a solution.   338 Federal might be a good one from DTEC
Rock River builda a .458 SOCOM that might be a winner for hogs.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 09:43
I use a BAR in both 30-06 & .243 and follow up shots are very easy... while coyote hunting I can usually get 1 - 2 more rounds off compared to my bolt action side kicks!  You can have up to 5 rounds - which is the same as bolt actions and changing out mags is pretty quick too.  I've never hunted pigs, but would think a 30-06 would do the trick.
take em!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 09:55
I've bought and sold (and own) more hog guns than my wife will ever know, and the quick answer to your question is:  "It depends."

At the moment, I have 2 dedicated hog guns, an AR10 for when I expect groups and a 300Whisper for when I need to kill them quietly  (if shooting in an open area where they have to run to get away, a semi auto is great.  If in an enclosed area like woods, you'll get better results dropping one and waiting for others to come back around.  I've seen a few hogs at feeders step over a dead hog to get back to the corn.  The trick is to take the hogs clean, a squealing spinning hog will drive all the others away, but a dead hog is just something over which they must step to get to food.)

There is much value in a semi auto but only to a point.  The trick to killing multiple hogs in the same area is to kill them quickly, and to do that, hit brain or spine, else they run and make noise.

If hunting in a large area where they have to run to get away, semi auto is more fun than you can imagine.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 10:02
RC - Like a kid over an ant hill with a magnifing glass when it comes to that last sentence
AstroVic View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AstroVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 10:05
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I've bought and sold (and own) more hog guns than my wife will ever know...

LOL!  That's awesome, and it's the same reason why nobody else has the combo to my gun safe.  hahaha :)
skydogIII View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skydogIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 08:13
So I ordered a BAR 30-06. I think it will cover the widest range of the situations that I encounter, with a trijicon 3x9-40 scope.  There was some talk about shot placement.  Yesterday I got a quick kill with the classic side view, but a week ago I shot at one who was rooting and facing me. He was close, but I was shooting free hand, so I just aimed for the upper shoulder.  He just ran off, and I was able to throw another bullet at him with a bolt 30-06, before he was in the brush.  Clearly an auto, would have helped, but the question is where do you aim when you are head on.  I had to spend traking time on rear shots too.  I have used a 45-70 and will bust though and drop them, but you give up range and a fast follow up shots.
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 09:29
BAR is a nice rig...and the Trijicon should be ideal -good choice
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 10:08
Congrats on the BAR '06... welcome to the club!

I would have aimed for his spine when his head was down, but I'm no expert.
take em!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2010 at 10:29
Put a round in the eye, ear, or spine, and the lights go out quickly and quietly.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2010 at 22:22
The skull of the hog is thinnest about an inch above and between the eyes, and right behind the ear. I hog hunt with a .22 mag a lot. Side shots go right behind the ear, straight on shots right in the forehead.

Grats on BAR. Got one in 7mm mag. Great shooting gun.

In thicker brush/ longer ranged situations I use a Winchester model 100 .308 auto loader. Shoulder shots even with a .308 don't drop a lot of hogs, nor do rump shots. With the .308 I just go center mass and gut shoot them and they usually fall and give me a follow up shot opportunity. They are a serious problem where I live. One of my co-workers has a 17 year old daughter that will never walk again after hitting one with her miata and flipping the car. They destroy crops, yards, golf courses and even grave yards.

You can find the model 100's fairly cheap if you ever decide on another hog gun. They are short/light and accurate. There was a recall on them to fix a loading problem and mine has been reworked. It's an easy fix and most older "the gun has been out of production for a while" gunsmiths can do it while you wait if you have the part.

Best of luck.

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic