OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best Scope for Under $350?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olympus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Scope for Under $350?
    Posted: January/19/2010 at 19:33
I just stumbled across this website and figured I could get a lot more ideas than on other forums I'm on.  I'm looking for the best scope I can get for under $350, and that is my limit.  I'd rather not have "for a little more you can have this".  If it's not $350 or less, I'm not interested.  The scope I'm going to buy will be going on a .25-06 Encore barrel.  I would prefer to have magnification greater than 9x.  I was thinking maybe 10x, 12x, 14x, or even 16x if it falls in that price range.  Nothing wrong with 9x, I just like the option of having some great magnification since it will be going on a .25-06, I'd like to be able to stretch my legs if I get the chance.

I've had the Burris Fullfield before and I wasn't impressed with it.  Some others have suggested the new Redfield 12x and also the Leupold VX-1 12x.  I'd also be interested in considering the Weaver 16x.  One of the biggest draws for me to the Weaver is the dot reticle.  I'm not big on BDC reticles.  But something about the simple crosshairs with the dot just appeals to me on so many levels.  I bought a cheapy BSA 32x because it had a dot reticle.  I'm not crazy about the scope, but I LOVE the reticle.  So if anyone knows a scope that falls in said parameters that has a dot reticle, that will be a big factor to me. 

Any way, I look forward to all the suggestions and appreciate any help I can get.  Thanks!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 22:22

I'd have to go with the Bushnell 4200 3-9x40, the only other option under $350.00 would be to buy a Nikon Monarch off of the sample list.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 22:38

The Elite 4200s are highly regarded, alright, but there are others...

maybe not many under $350.

Not so highly rated (not sure why),  Vortex Vipers are great scopes and meet your price. They have great optics and are known to be tough.

Here's the Scope Scale:

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=16515

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 07:12
I too have to recomment the Bushnell.  Right now if you get any bushnell with rainguard you get some free stuff.  Plus having rainguard is enough reason to get it alone.
dls56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dls56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 08:24

Check out item #11563 on the sample list. You get a lot of bang for the buck with the list.

Olympus View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olympus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 08:26
Thanks for the suggestions, but I would prefer something stronger than 9x.  I can't seem to find any Elite 4200s with greater than 9x for $350 or less.

I'll check out the sampe list though.
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 10:35
Look at the Sightron SIIs...
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 11:40
If $350 is your limit and you want more that 9X look at the Vortex Diamondback series. They are avail with a standard plex, BDC, or BDC with A/O parallax adj., or standard plex with A/O parallax adj. and are under $300.
http://swfa.com/Vortex-Diamondback-Rifle-Scopes-C1409.aspx

The glass is better than the FFII but I can't speak to the durability yet. I've had FFII's that  have stood up to some pretty harsh punishment.

Edited by biggreen747 - January/20/2010 at 11:47
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 14:04

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 14:08

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 18:56

How 'bout a Vortex Crossfire 2.5-10 w/ illuminated dot for $160

http://swfa.com/Vortex-25-10x50-Crossfire-Rifle-Scope-P11242.aspx

or Crossfire 4-12x40 for $150 w/illuminated dot

http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-12x40-Crossfire-Rifle-Scope-P11248.aspx

or a Weaver Grand Slam 6-20 "DOT" for $360

http://swfa.com/Weaver-6-20x40-Grand-Slam-Rifle-Scope-P2867.aspx

I could go on, but I'm having all the fun, not you... SWFA has evn more to choose from.

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Olympus View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olympus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 19:08
I saw the Grand Slam for $360 and that's a big contender. 
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 19:20
The "Crossfire" series are good scopes for the money. I have 2 of the 6-24x50 SWFA specials and they are great for broad daylight target/varmint shooting on small caliber rifles. For a 25-06 that I assume you will probably be using for big game hunting I would get the best glass for the money and the Diamondback should be better glass than the Crossfire. I would stick with the D-Back or the Weaver Grand Slam but if this is going to be a big game rig as well as used for paper punching I would stay with a lower power such as a 4-12/14. I am sure there will be some opposing opinions on this but I would also stay away from A/O or S/F scopes unless you are strictly hunting out of a blind and have the time to use the focus apparatus. I know you didn't want things over 350.00 but hey you just listed a Weaver for 360.00 so I will make one more suggestion. There are rumors floating around that the 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest will be reduced to $399.00 in the near future. The quality of the glass you will get for that price as well as an etched reticle which will still be highly visible in low light is unbeatable. I know it is only 9x on the top end but the quality of that glass will make it seem better than the lesser scopes at 12x. Also if you are looking for a reticle that is easy to aquire the Zeiss also comes with a #4 reticle which I find to be superb. I think I just convinced myself to buy one if it drops to $399.00. And it's going on my 25-06..

Sorry - just saw it was someone else that listed the Weaver.

Edited by biggreen747 - January/20/2010 at 19:27
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2010 at 10:07

Conquest price drop to $399? 

Hurry, please.

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
FuddyDudd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuddyDudd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2010 at 22:52
Dang, was @ to put an order in for a VX-3 now I am gonna have to wait and see whats going on with this Zeiss price drop. 
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2010 at 09:39

Interesting to see what the Minox pricing will be also.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
huntingaddict View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntingaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2010 at 10:45

Off topic because it is out of the OP's range, but the conquest had dropped quite a few places to 399 so SWFA i'm sure will match.  I'm sure they have no problem matching the large mail order retailer that starts with a C

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2010 at 11:58
If you want more magnification than 9x in a $350 or under price range, you rbest bet is Weaver Grand SLam 4.5-14x40.

If you are OK with a 3-9x40 scopes, there are several excellent choices in your price range:
Vortex Viper 3-9x40
Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40
Sightron S2 Big Sky 3-9x42

Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 (the version with AO) is also an a good choice with an exceptionally contrasty view in this price range.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2010 at 12:01
Good to see you back, ILya.

So where's the SHOT SHOW report????????

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2010 at 12:12
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Good to see you back, ILya.

So where's the SHOT SHOW report????????

It is pretty much done, I am just holding it back to test your patience a little....

ILya

P.S.  This is the first time I turned on my computer this week.  I completely ignored it throughout SHOT.  Give me a couple of days.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic