OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Diamondback or Leupold VX-1?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Diamondback or Leupold VX-1?
    Posted: January/19/2010 at 17:41
I recently bought a Remington 700 ADL in 30-06 and it came with a trash scope. I am looking to get a better scope. I was at the store today about to pick up the Leupold VX-1 when two different store clerks told me to wait until tomorrow when they get a shipment of Vortex Diamondbacks. I came home and found the thread "Inexpensive Scope" Comparison and it helped me learn that the Diamondback seems like a pretty good scope. However,  I was curious how well it matched up to the Leupold VX-1? I do not know much about scopes, so I came here to seek help.

I have pretty much singled it down to those two scopes and not wanting to spend over $230 (I know, this limits my choices). The Diamondback is $199.99 and the VX-1 is $229.99. 

Thanks. 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 17:51
Diamond back all the way.  The VX1 really is a POS scope IMO.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Upnordth View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upnordth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 17:58
I do not have the VX-1, but I do have the Diamondback 2-7x35 on my son's Savage .243.  He shot his first 2 deer this year including a doe at 20 yards at first light and a buck at 225 yards near dark.  In my opinion, the Diamondback is a very nice scope at a very reasonable price.  Optics are clear and bright and the reticle adjustment clicks are spot on.  Not that I hope to use it, but the Vortex warranty is a big plus.  I don't think you would be disappointed.  
JH
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 18:00
Vortex over Leupold, no question.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
R700 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 21:37
I appreciate the feedback everyone. I will go and check out the Vortex Diamondback tomorrow.
Folically Challenged View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folically Challenged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 06:52
I'm guessing that you'd probably find a Diamondback outclassing even a VX-II.

But, as always, let your own eyes be the judge.  Check 'em both out, & let us know what YOU thought.

Thanks!

FC
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 07:09
Vortex is far superior to the VX-1
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 08:15
Originally posted by Folically Challenged Folically Challenged wrote:

I'm guessing that you'd probably find a Diamondback outclassing even a VX-II.

But, as always, let your own eyes be the judge.  Check 'em both out, & let us know what YOU thought.

Thanks!

FC

i wont argue that.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
R700 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2010 at 15:26
The store finally got the Vortex Diamondback in. They were suppose to get 3-9x40 Dead-hold BDC, however, all they received in stock was 4-12x40 Dead-hold BDC. They were both the same price, $199.99. I bought it nonetheless and planning to use it this weekend. This is the same exact scope as the 3-9, but just 12x instead?

Thanks.
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2010 at 20:48
Originally posted by R700 R700 wrote:

The store finally got the Vortex Diamondback in. They were suppose to get 3-9x40 Dead-hold BDC, however, all they received in stock was 4-12x40 Dead-hold BDC. They were both the same price, $199.99. I bought it nonetheless and planning to use it this weekend. This is the same exact scope as the 3-9, but just 12x instead?

Thanks.
My local gun store would push the Leupold to the very end.Thats great the salesman said Vortex was coming in the next day. 
Hollywood View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 10:17
Upnordth, how is the field of view on your scope? Have you noticed it being much wider than expected? The specs say something like 64 feet at 100yrds. That is way wider than any other 2-7 I've seen, regardless of price, and even wider than most everything until you get down to 1.25 or lower on the low end.  
Hollywood View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 12:14

Although I addressed the last post to Upnordth, I didn't mean to cut anyone else off. If anyone has used or even looked through the Diamondback 2-7x35, please give me your opinions, especially on its FOV. I am thinking about putting this on a Ruger 77/44. I was looking at 2-7's, 1.5-5's, etc. in the $200 range and was about to give up and go to a 1-4 to get a nice wide FOV, but then I came across this scope.  I'm not totally against going with a lower power range if that is what I need to do because shots over 80 yards will be rare, but if I can get a decent scope with a FOV as wide as a 1.25 or 1.5 and keep the 7x top end for the occasional long shot, why not?  So, if you had $200 and a gun you'd use to hunt deer and hogs at ranges of 150 yards and less, with most shots being 25-75 yards, what would you buy?

Upnordth View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upnordth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 12:19
Most scopes in the 2-7x range have a 32mm objective with a stated low end FOV in the mid 40's at 100 yards.  I beleive the Bushnell Legend is stated to be 51 ft.  Other than the Diamondback, the only other 35mm objective scope in the 2-7x range that I'm aware of and is in your price range would be the Burris FFII...with a stated FOV of 46' at 100 yards.  I don't have any experience with the Burris, but people seem to love it or hate it.  I have not taken time to validate the stated 64' FOV of the Diamondback but I will say that it's larger than my 2-7 Vipers with a stated FOV of 46.7.  Is it 17 feet wider?...not sure.  I'm not sure how accurate manufacturer stated FOV's are.  There are others that can answer better than I.  If $200 is your limit and FOV on the lower end (with some decent maginfication on the high end), is important to you, then go with the Vortex Diamondback.  Unless your on a bench or other REAL steady rest, holding steady of 5x for me is a real challenge. I'm a huge 2-7x fan and I think you will get the best of both worlds with the Diamondback.  I research/read a great deal regarding scopes and binos and it's really difficult to find a bad word about Vortex optics.    Stick with this site and you'll get a excellent education on optics.
JH
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 12:35
i have a 2x7x32mm vortex viper, my fov @ 100yds is 46.7ft. this scope is excellent, its  about $100 more than the diamondback is. as was noted above. i messed with a 3x9 diamondback as have several members here and i think vortex makes a very nice scope for the money.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 16:37
The Weaver Classic V series 2.5x7x32 has 45 ft. FoV per Weaver's website.  I've got one of those on the way to put on a Ruger 44 Carbine. 
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
GaryO View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 18:33
Perhaps the new Redfield 2x7?  $130 at SFWA.
hometheaterman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hometheaterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2010 at 17:04
I think you made the right choice with the Vortex. I have a VX-I and honestly I don't like the scope at all. Actually have 2. I just bought one from a buddy a few weeks ago because his went bad too and I got it super cheap. I figured I could send it in to get it fixed. To me it's not any clearer than a $30 Tasco I've used. A couple friends looked through it and thought the Tasco looked clearer. I couldn't tell a difference though. Then in the first 2 years I had to send it into Leupold twice for repair. The second time it seemed like the POI was changing as I shot it. It never seemed to hold zero well when it did work as if you dropped it at all or bumped it hard it would lose zero. Like I had it hit me in the forehead when I shot. It was 1" below the bullseye. I put 2 or 3 shots there and was shooting one more before adjusting it up. The next shot after it hitting me in the forehead it wasn't even on the target. It was now about 5" low. I've just not all been impressed with this scope but that's just my personal experience.

Then a buddy had one on a muzzle loader and at first he loved it. That was last year. This year he realized why I don't like mine. It shot fine at the first of the year. A few days into muzzle loading season he shot it and the scope was way off as he couldn't even hit the target. He did some more testing and turns out his scope was adjusting itself when he shot. This was the same thing mine seemed to do when I sent it into Leupold the second time. I actually bought his super and I mean super cheap just because it was such a good deal. I figured I could send it into Leupold to get it fixed. He said he just didn't want to mess with it. He is a big Simmons fan. So when you see how he likes Simmons and even he didn't like Leupold.

Then a 3rd friend had one and they could not get his gun it was on to group at all. Finally they took it off and put a Bushnell on there and it shot a group that could be covered with a dime. He sent his in to get repaired and traded it off as soon as he got it back. He never tried it again.

So after having issues then having 2 friends that have had issues. The only two I happen to know who own Leupolds I'm just not too fond of them. Their customer service seems great but that seems to be about it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic