OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

First hunt with the new Zen-Ray ED2 7x36s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadeocu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First hunt with the new Zen-Ray ED2 7x36s
    Posted: January/19/2010 at 17:00
Got a chance to hunt with my new field glasses last weekend.  I hunted in the rain one evening and in the sunshine the next day.  I am very pleased with the product.  Nice size, weight and magnification to give a steady view.  Very bright view in the rain and at dusk as well.  The depth of view was also great which allowed me to acquire the target with ease.  I won't say I couldn't have shot this buck without them, but he came in with a group of 8-9 deer, mostly does, a spike and a fork horn and I glassed them in thick, viney river bottom cover for about 30 minutes before this guy came into a lane.  I was ready for him with the help of these binoculars.  I'm no expert and haven't owned very many pairs of binoculars, but I am happy with the purchase. - Jack

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 17:07
Pretty Buck, congratulations Jack, what you shooting?

Edited by lucytuma - January/19/2010 at 17:07
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 22:20
Looks like country that benefits from some clear glass. 
Reaction time is a factor...
wadeocu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadeocu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 11:10
Lucy - That is my 'spare parts rifle'; it is a Paul Jager custom built on an FN Mauser action in 30-06 with a Kahles 2-7x36.  A more detailed description of its origin is in this post (about seven posts down) where I was thanking folks here for their advice on the scope purchase which was also made with the kind and knowledgable assitance from this forum:

Jono - yes indeed the picture gives a good feel for the country I hunt in - thick cover!  200 yard views are about as far as it gets, but good glass is key and this shot proved the point.  I glassed this group of deer for 30 minutes through the vines at about 200 yards with a very obstructed view until they filtered through a shooting lane about 150 yards away.  I was able to get a good idea of what I was looking at through the cover piece by piece seeing a hind leg here, an ear there and an antler every so often while they hung up and fed before coming into my shooting lane.  I had made out this guy as a shooter and was ready for him a good 15 minutes before he presented a shot and glassing was the key here.

Thanks for sharing my excitement folks!  I hope the product endorsement helps someone make an informed decision as all the other posts here helped me to do.  Both the Kahles scope and Zen-Rays were purchased right here from SWFA by the way - best price and great service!

- Jack
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2010 at 22:57
For the reading enjoyment of Zen Ray owners.
NV Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NV Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2010 at 08:30

One weekend of use doesn't prove how good a binocular is built.... After 22 years my Leica's are still going strong... that's reliability.  (Super buck!!!Congrats!) NV Hunter

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic