OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tactical bolt Handle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tactical bolt Handle
    Posted: January/19/2010 at 16:25
Does anyone know a smith or competent metalworker who can put a tactical bolt handle on a Winchester 70 bolt?  I have called and email smiths all around the area and no one seems to care to mess with a model 70.  Any info would be nice.  Thanks guys ahead of time.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 16:34
My smith put a badger one on my FN SPR.  He said it would be the last one he did.  lol
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 16:35
This guy has a good rep for doing fast and excellent work.  http://www.rdprecision.net/pricing.html
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 16:41
Do a search over on the hide, there is a guy out of Az. that does what looks like good work.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 16:45
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Do a search over on the hide, there is a guy out of Az. that does what looks like good work.

That would be this guy.  http://www.azprecisiongunsmithing.com/About_AZ_Precision.html

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 16:50
Jason your smooth my friend  Thunbs Up
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 07:49
I will call them but the websites don't mention work on the Winchester.  There are alot of local shops that will do the rem and savage but they all say the metal is to hard on the winchester so we will see.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 09:34
Note how its being done, or rather how you want it done. Are you wanting the end cut off and larger heavier already threaded part attached or are you wanting the complete bolt handle replaced, welded? Lots of difference in strength, cost. If you want win. type action with a heavier bolt, Kimber is better way to go.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 10:07
Dale,  WOW, thats a lot to think about. I had only really thought about just turning the existing knob down and threading the end for a badger. What would be the advantages of getting one over the other.  My primary goal is to have a better grip.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 11:22
most bolt handles are small and conform to the contour of the stock on purpose, as the guns are used for hunting where wt. and snagging is a real concern. tactical add ons increase the overall length which increases the amt. of leverage when cranking on the handle. If you are into cycling the shot as soon as the last shot breaks, to get on the second shot sight picture as soon as possible, the stress at the junction of the threading is increased a lot. Some smiths will remove the entire bolt handle and replace the unit with an overlapping type, either welded or screwed into place at the junction of the bolt. The cost difference is considerable more, but just be aware if you get quoted as to what seems a very high price.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 11:34

Ok, thanks Dale,  I have seen bolt handle units for sale and always wondered the advantage of getting  new one vs the factory one with a knob installed.  I think for my application, paper puncher, the knob install only would be ok versus a new handle all together.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 14:05
Here is another guy that does them.  http://www.shortactioncustoms.com/

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 14:08
my thoughts are is it really worth it to "pimp" out a winchester?? remington and savage usually are way more accurate, and most smiths will readily work on the latter two rifles.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 14:08
You can't be tacticool at the range without an aftermarket bolt handle.

I can't tell you how many tactical bolt handles I've sen on rifles (with shooters) that couldn't hit sand if they fell off a camel.

Save the money on the bolt mod, spend it on ammo, shoot more.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 14:09
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Here is another guy that does them.  http://www.shortactioncustoms.com/

Got this guys name from AZprecission. They are the only ones that will mess with the winchester so far.  Shipping off as soon as it comes back from Douglas for the install of a badger.  Thanks ST for all the help. 

Edited by SVT_Tactical - January/20/2010 at 14:09
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 14:10
i guess i could see where it could be an advantage on a hunting rifle though, gives you more to hang onto when running the bolt on follow up shots.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 14:10
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

my thoughts are is it really worth it to "pimp" out a winchester?? remington and savage usually are way more accurate, and most smiths will readily work on the latter two rifles.

A friend took his Weatherby Vanguard to a smith and asked him to put a Timney trigger on it.  The smith said, "Why?" I thought it was very funny.  The friend did not.

Tacticool!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 14:12
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

You can't be tacticool at the range without an aftermarket bolt handle.

I can't tell you how many tactical bolt handles I've sen on rifles (with shooters) that couldn't hit sand if they fell off a camel.

Save the money on the bolt mod, spend it on ammo, shoot more.

While it does give it that flair of tacticool, i shoot a lot with a glove on my right hand because of a finger injury years ago, and sometimes it is nice to have a larger handle to grab. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 14:17
If it is purely a paper-puncher, my advice stands.

I have friends that put a pingpong ball over the bolt handle and duct tape it on: ain't pretty but it works and is cheap, and I'll be damned if it doesn't give more than enough area to grab on.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 14:18
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Rifle has some sentimental value to it, its being rebarreled now.  It sat dormant for years in my safe and i wouldn't shoot it, now I think its time to break it out and try to make it my toy for the same reason it sat for years, it means more to me than any of my other guns.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic