OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ss 10x

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ss 10x
    Posted: August/22/2005 at 19:01
hello I am very new to scopes and was wondering about a couple things regarding mine I own a super sniper 10x power with rear focusing and would like to know what exactly are the little lines below the windage and elevation knobs are? And do these scopes go down to zero on both knobs, like do they both when turned all the way down do they both touch the scope? for instance mine when i put both knobs all the way up and try to put them both down they won't they stop about two little lines as i mentioned from touching the scope but if i turn one about three or for lines up I can set one to the scope vise versa. Any help would be much appricieated
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2005 at 21:23
The lines you refer to are reference lines to indicate
about how many minutes of widage/elevation you have
dialed into the scope.
Example;
middle of the adjustment range for both knobs shows 5
index lines. Each complete revolution of the knob either
uncovers or covers another line, which indicates a change
of 15 minutes of angle.

On the other thing, your knobs may not be;
1. seated all the way onto the stems
2. adjusted so that the elevation and windage are
centered while you're trying to bottom out the adjustment.

When you turn the elevation knob all the way up or down
you are moving an internal tube called the erector
assembly, and that obviously moves within the outer tube.
If the erector isn't centered when you turn a knob to
full travel the erector will run into the side of the
outer tube preventing further travel.
d-man View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2005 at 15:30
Thank you for the clarification of the lines, but should my knobs be able to go all the way down. If so is it something I should return to get fixed, thank you again for any help you can give me
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2005 at 18:31

The SS series of scopes has an "O" ring seal under the turret cap which prevents moisture from getting into the scope.  It also tends to trap air under the turret when the caps are installed.

With the reticle optically centered, the turrets should go down to the 1st reference line on the tower.  You might try loosening the 3 set screws on the turret cap ( back them waaaay out)  and press down on the cap.  It would be a normal condition do have the cap settle as you press down, releasing the air trapped under it.

d-man View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2005 at 16:16
hello again sorry for the long absence, it still didn't go all the way down even after I took the knob off, but i think i messed the knob readings up when i took them off though I don't remember what the number was when i took them off will that affect sighting it in at all if so be really specific as to how, and if so is there anyway to fix it, also when i took the knobs off it seems i have tightend the screws too much because there are little indintations of were the screws were, alot of them indintations i mean. thank you for any help you can give me
d-man View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2005 at 08:13
hello again I had just recently shot my rifle with my scope and it broke, after 7 straight shots the little lines I was talking about earlier are now swivilling back and forth. do you know of the warrentys for these scopes about replacing them, I know I ordered this scope like about three or four months ago, which i hope is not to late. thank you for any help you can give me.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2005 at 20:49
Your scope isn't broken. If the SS line has a fault,
it's the turret marking stadia which are not engraved
onto the turret tower, but engraved to a drum slipped
over the tower.

Use a single drop of super glue on each turret tower,
applied where you can see the top ofthe stadia drum at
the top of the turret, when viewed with the turret caps
removed.

The marks on the brass extensions are normal.

Edited by Mike McDonald
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic