OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

need gun, got the scope.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need gun, got the scope.
    Posted: January/19/2010 at 12:56
so i was over at a friend of mine's over the weekend leveling and sighting in my scopes since i played musical scopes. he showed me an older leupold m8-12xAO scope in excellent condition. i had flashbacks of being a teenager again using that same type of scope to shoot a ton of gophers and pdogs with a .218 bee. i asked him what he wanted for it, he said $175 i couldnt pass it up for that price. the scope spent its life on a .22-250 target rifle, and knowing this friend it was certainly well taken care of.
enough of the story, i was looking for some advice on what i should put it on. i have a .22-250 and its setup for coyote hunting already. i prefer to stay away from stuff like the .223 (i hate small rifle primers) any suggestions would be great. the new savage 111 long ranger hunter in 6.5x.284 looks really good right now.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 13:33
That's a cool caliber but I would choose a different rifle but that is just my preferences (and I actually love savage rifles)
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 13:34
the only thing i see bad about the savage is that they put a muzzlebrake on it for some reason.maybe i would be better off to buy a used rifle and make a semi  custom of my own, get a lilja barrel and a m700 action and build a rifle?

Edited by pyro6999 - January/19/2010 at 13:36
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 14:18
That sounds cool.....Yea the muzzle break to me just makes the rifle look silly ( I know looks are not everything) but with a MRSP of around 9 bills I think you might find something a little nicer?
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 14:26
I'd get one of these....in .243, or 7mm-08. 

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 14:31

Opinions vary. I happen to love the Savage Long Range Hunter. That will be my next project rifle (One day)

I don't think it's a match for that scope though. Still, there isn't really a right or wrong combination. More of a what do you want to do with it type of thing.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 15:24
Get a LOTT! Laugh
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 15:44

Why not the Savage without the brake? They are pretty good at the custom shop and will put together anything with  in reason.
 Try here  1-800-370-0708 ext.6 ask for Effie. She can tell you if it is possible and how much the msrp will be.
froggy
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 15:56
Hey Hunter, why not get one of the newer guns that there aren't alot of info out on and doing a good review.  The TC warlord, mossberg nighttrain,........? you gots the dough right?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 15:59
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

the only thing i see bad about the savage is that they put a muzzlebrake on it for some reason.maybe i would be better off to buy a used rifle and make a semi  custom of my own, get a lilja barrel and a m700 action and build a rifle?

Its all about the Lilja     Excellent
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 17:03
there will be a lilja if i build it, no doubt.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 21:47
If I had that scope, I'd probably want to mount it on a nice rolling block rifle.  Like an 1885.  I assume it's gloss finish?

Where'd you grow up that you had both gophers and pdogs?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 22:47
its matte finish, i grew up in wyoming.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic