OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Metric drill & tap on Tikka T3 receiver?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpweage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Metric drill & tap on Tikka T3 receiver?
    Posted: August/21/2005 at 18:37
I've recently purchased a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless and attempted to attach Weaver S61 bases with no success.  It appears that Tikka receivers are drilled and tapped with M3.5 threads NOT imperial #6.  This is not explicitly stated in the optics mounting part of the manual; however, in the parts section it does say  that the little plastic plugs are M3.5x3.

Can anyone confirm that Tikka receivers actually use metric threads?  I've attempted to get information out of Beretta and Tikka with no success so far.

If the receiver is actually metric threaded, then anyone using standard mount screws is either cross threading their receiver, or ending up with damaged mount screws.  I may have cross threaded two of the holes, as I was able to install two of the mount screws, but two others would not thread into the receiver.

Can anyone recommend a set of Weaver style bases that actually work for the T3?

Thanks,

Josh
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2005 at 08:46
Have you tried Millett's clamping bases, I have had good luck fitting them to Steyrs.
Ring Master View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Master of the Rings

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ring Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2005 at 13:44

What is the hole spacing?? Center to Center??

RM

Ron
NRA Life Member
jpweage View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpweage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2005 at 15:59
Center to center spacing is correct for Weaver S61 mounts.  The hole thread doesn't apear to be correct for either standard mount screws (#6) or M3.5 as I have tried both and neither will thread into the receiver without stripping the screw.  However, if I can get an authoritative answer in regards to what the factory thread is, I will clean up the existing threads with the correct tap.

Edited by jpweage
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic