OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS 10x42HD mini review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarmBore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS 10x42HD mini review
    Posted: January/17/2010 at 20:04
I posted this at the tail end of this thread:

but thought newbs researching the SS line might find it easier with it's own thread.

--------------------

I went ahead and ordered the 10x42HD based on the feedback on this forum.

Overall I like the scope.  Coming from MOA, the MIL/MIL is quite easy to get use to.  BEWARE... it will spoil you on MOA adjustments.  Optics are excellent quality.  Really good for this price range.

CONS on this scope are few but notable:
  1. No side focus adjustment.  I keep reaching for it and it's not there.
  2. I still don't like going beyond one revolution, however this is somewhat mitigated by not having to count clicks.  Maybe not really a con but personal preference.
  3. I really don't like the big gaps between the end focus and paralax rings and the way the lock ring locks with those crazy wavy knurls leaves additional space for debris to collect.  I'm 100% sure that they will fill with dirt and crud and will require frequent cleaning.  Which means I'll have to reset the focus more frequently then I believe should be necessary.  Hopefully it won't gum up the threads.
  4. The biggest CON on my particular scope is the windage knob.  The alignment is off by a full 1/2 click.  I cannot line up the knob and scope marks.  For $800 I would expect a good alignment here.   Elevation knob is fine.  Knob knurls are fine.  I can easily adjust with gloves/bare hands. 
  5. Mine came with no manual or warranty card (not sure if it was supposed to) and the edge of the elevation knob was poking through the plastic bag and the top of the white packaging SWFA box it was shipped in (no damage that I could discern but somewhat disconcerting).

I purchased this scope based on the reviews here and my own MIL/MIL curiosity.  Again I pretty happy with it.  But I'm not sure I shouldn't have purchased the new old stock M3 I found elsewhere for the same price.  Then again I wouldn't have experienced the joys of MIL/MIL Big Smile.

I would really like to see the rings re-designed.  The gaps are just too big.  Moving the focus to the side and going to a single ring without the crazy wavy knurls would fix this.  At any rate, I'm looking forward to wringing this thing out at the range when the weather breaks.

WB
You only need to be as accurate as you need to be.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 01:38
1. If you were a lefty you would be glad focus was on the rear - even us right handed guys can figure it out without too much trouble.
2. Dont like going beyond one revolution - walk closer.  Most of the stuff most guys shoot at is within a few hundred yards this scope is capable well past 1000 almost nothing else has as much internal adjustment - be glad its there.
3. I was surprised the locking ring was as large as it is but at least that makes it less likely to have its threads strip out.
4. Time to break out the liquid paper and make the line look bigger. Devil  Dude call customer service if this bothers you and talk to them about it.
5. Boxes are a tad light weight and not much extra paper comes with it because the scope is idiot proof,  think about the tree you saved its still out there producing oxygen.

As for purchasing the new old stock M3 - I've had it---- there is now way in hell I would go back to it.  The one moa elevation is too coarse .  Mildot reticle with 1/10  Mil clicks is a lot better because if your dope is -4.2 mil at 550 yds you dial in -.2 clicks and hold on the 4th mil dot down---    DUH -- you dont have to go past one revolution of the dial unless something is a long long way out.    800 yds   -8.0moa  hold over 5 and dial in 3 or old over 4 and dial in 4 it all works out the same but is a lot faster.  Lets see you do that with a -14.5moa at 550 or -27.6moa at 800 yds,  using a mildot reticle or a TMR it just cant be done unless the reticle was MOA based like some of Nightforces MOA based reticles.

The more you use this scope the more you will like it and if you have issues where you are not happy like how the windage knob alignment mark is in the middle of two lines on the knob you need to call SWFA and give customer service a chance to make it right.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 09:31
Your #4 doesn't entirely make sense to me, pleae explain.

It seems to me you could loosen the hex, make the marks align, and re-tighten.

Or are you saying the clicks are larger/smaller than the indexing mark on the turret - such that, even if aligned, a click input would make them no longer aligned?

Just curious.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
WarmBore View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarmBore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 10:08
RC,

That's not the way it works.  The inside of the turret cap is mechanically indexed to the brass turret under the cap.  You can't just turn it 1/2 a turn and "make" it align.  It will always fall into the teeth (like a gear) either +1/2 or -1/2 from where the mark on the turret lines up with the mark on the scope housing.  Some cheaper scopes use a friction fit and what you say would be true in that case.  It is not the case here.

It is clear that the turret marks were not indexed properly to the mechanical index on the cap.  I tested this by placing the elevation turret knob on the windage turrent and it aligned perfectly.  I will be contacting SWFA customer service today for a new windage knob.

WB.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 11:40
The old style SS was friction fit with three hex screws and therefore could be moved slightly and retightened it didnt have matching teeth, the new HD has teeth which is actually a better design because you reset by lifting above the teeth and then replacing the knob back at Zero. 

I understand it is made so you have to set the zero at either the high side of the index or select the low side of the index unless you make the index mark larger on the side you select which might be interesting to do with a small piece of luminous tape like one would use in a darkroom to mark things with (type of thing I have laying around).

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - January/20/2010 at 14:32

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
WarmBore View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarmBore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 11:49
U,

I agree this is a much better design, however it then requires precisely indexing the marks to the mechanical index.  This hasn't been done with my particular turret knob.  I will say that it's a quite precise fit in that it is ALWAYS 1/2 click off all the way around the dial.

I have requested a new properly indexed windage knob from SWFA.  Not sure if they're open today being a holiday, but the ball is now in their court.  I'll keep you posted.

WB
WarmBore View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarmBore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2010 at 23:41
Update...

I requested a new windage knob from SWFA.  They said they didn't have parts for scopes and that if I wanted a new knob I would have to send the scope in.  I sent it in last week (1/21/10) and I'm awaiting the return scope.  So we'll see if the new scope has the same problem.  The CSR told me that she was going to have a tech look at my replacement scope prior to shipping.  I'll post again when I get the replacement.

But kudos to SWFA.  Though clean, the scope had been mounted and fielded for a few days prior to contacting them.  I didn't notice the 1/2 click off windage problem until I was doping.  CSR told me mounting was no problem.  If it was defective then send it back ring marks and all.

WB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2010 at 09:44
Let us know.

And yea, prices usually bring people to SWFA, and Customer Service keeps us here!  At least me.
WarmBore View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarmBore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2010 at 10:39
UPDATE...

Yesterday afternoon I received a call from Catrina at SWFA.  She was wonderful.  She called to confirm my address and to inform me that they were shipping my scope UPS Next Day Air.

Today, the package came and the new scope has near perfect adjustments.  Excellent  I am very happy with the scope.  I won't get to shoot with it now until late February but I'll post a new review of the new scope then.

However, I want to address something that is sorely lacking in the market place today, and that is customer service.  NEVER, in the history of my online (extensive) ordering have I been treated so fairly by an online company.

I was just commenting to my wife last week that the last 5 items I had ordered online (including the SS) were defective and had to be immediately returned.  I was so dreading the emails and phone calls with customer and technical service that I was contemplating doing all business locally (within a 2 hour drive) so that I could deal with a person face to face.

I am quite happy to report that SWFA is the exception.  They handled my exchange both promptly and professionally.  They maintained communications with me.  AND I received, with my scope, a handwritten letter from one of their tech support reps apologizing for the inconvenience and indicating that they had hand picked a scope from their inventory with proper adjustments.  They also included some extra goodies in the box.

Long story, short... SWFA genuinely seems to care about their customers and I'm more than happy.

I will keep you updated on the SS performance as I get data.

WB

PS:  If anyone can tell me how to upload/embed a picture (non-linked), or if an ADMIN can enable me I'll post a scan of the letter.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2010 at 10:43
Glad to hear its all worked out well.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2010 at 13:32
Originally posted by WarmBore WarmBore wrote:

UPDATE...

Yesterday afternoon I received a call from Catrina at SWFA.  She was wonderful.  She called to confirm my address and to inform me that they were shipping my scope UPS Next Day Air.

Today, the package came and the new scope has near perfect adjustments.  Excellent  I am very happy with the scope.  I won't get to shoot with it now until late February but I'll post a new review of the new scope then.

However, I want to address something that is sorely lacking in the market place today, and that is customer service.  NEVER, in the history of my online (extensive) ordering have I been treated so fairly by an online company.

I was just commenting to my wife last week that the last 5 items I had ordered online (including the SS) were defective and had to be immediately returned.  I was so dreading the emails and phone calls with customer and technical service that I was contemplating doing all business locally (within a 2 hour drive) so that I could deal with a person face to face.

I am quite happy to report that SWFA is the exception.  They handled my exchange both promptly and professionally.  They maintained communications with me.  AND I received, with my scope, a handwritten letter from one of their tech support reps apologizing for the inconvenience and indicating that they had hand picked a scope from their inventory with proper adjustments.  They also included some extra goodies in the box.

Long story, short... SWFA genuinely seems to care about their customers and I'm more than happy.

WB

PS:  If anyone can tell me how to upload/embed a picture (non-linked), or if an ADMIN can enable me I'll post a scan of the letter.
Send me a PM... we'll make it work.  BTW, today or tomorrow, I will probably move this to "member tests and reviews"...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
WarmBore View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarmBore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2010 at 15:35
PM Sent.

Move it where it you think is best.

WB
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2010 at 18:15
Below is the letter James (WarmBore) wanted posted.  Very nice letter:
I know that CS issues are not to be resolved via the OT Forum, but in this case a special request was made in order to recognize the outstanding performance leading to customer satisfaction.  Therefore, I posted this for James.  If Chris doesn't want it to appear here, I will take my beating and pull it down...

Edited by Kickboxer - February/01/2010 at 18:17
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2010 at 16:43
Got mine today, I like the glass.

Unlike WarmBore, I usually shoot lefty on the bench, so I like the parallax adjustment to the rear; on the saddle, it's tough to get to when shooting lefty.

I'm pleased with glass, pleased with turrets.  I see a little more tube than I would like in the site picture, but that is the fault of my Hensoldt, it's so damned beautiful, no tube (and I could buy 5 of the 10X HD for what it costs.)

For the money, I'd say it is without equal at the moment.  I like it.  Allot!

Pictures coming soon.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2010 at 17:19
RC curious why do you shoot lefty on the bench? do you shoot right other times? Got me wondering?
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2010 at 21:01
Originally posted by WarmBore WarmBore wrote:

UPDATE...

WB

I glad to hear that all went well,  you have become one of the many to come to that conculsion.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic