OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

BSA Sweet 223

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsbhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BSA Sweet 223
    Posted: January/17/2010 at 17:53
Before it starts, i know, " you get what you pay for"....but, as i was wanting to spend $100.00 and not 5-6 hundred.....i bought the BSA Sweet 223 6-18 scope...took it to the range today to sight in, on a 20" RRA ar-15...all went well till i went to 2 hundred yards , set the dial at 200 and was 4" high....didn't check target right then, redialed down to 100 and to my real surprise, it returned to perfect 100 yd zero!!!!! But my question: the 200 yard mark for 55grain .223 bullets is approx 12 clicks up from 100 yds......reloads , nosler 55 gr ball tip at approx 3100 fps....all the data i find shows maybe at the most a 3.1 " difference between 1 & 2 hundred yards in elevation difference......with a 1/4" click at a hundred, at 2 hundred that goes to 1/2" click, correct? At approx 12 clicks up, that makes it 6" height adjustment..........Am i shooting the wrong B.C. bullet for the dial, or am i missing something here???? Iv'e read reviews where other guys are hitting right on with the dial marks! Any help would be great, as i am questioning my sanity, or lack of.....Thanks, rsbhunter Whacko
"everybody has to have a hobby"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 16:14
I have one and it worked fair.  NOT exact but within an 1"  FPS seem a little fast but I dont' know what the mil spec 55gr fps should be.
Txhillbilly View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Txhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2010 at 09:11
 There are just too many factors that fall into play with the ballistic turrets to go buy the markings. Just think about how many different types of 55gr ammo is available,all shoot at different fps,and are loaded with different powders,etc.
 Unless you are shooting the exact specs that the markings were designed around,they will never be right on target. What I have done in the past is put a piece of tape on the turret,and marked it where it needed to be for whatever ranges i was planning on shooting.
 The ballistic turrets will get you near the target,but you will need to fine tune the adjustment for each type/brand of ammo you shoot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic