OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Focusing Steiner Peregrine XP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FastJimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Focusing Steiner Peregrine XP
    Posted: January/16/2010 at 22:03
Just bought a pair of these Steiners and am happy with their image quality.  Depth of field is better than my Meopta 10X42's, so I thought everything was great....

Until I tried to focus on distant objects.  Just as I felt they were coming in focus, I bumped up to the limit of the binoculars focus range.  Pushing on the dial against the stop resulted in a perceived slightly better image.

Is this something to be expected from Premium binoculars with a strong close focus ability?  Im guessing they have it set at 'infinity', but pulling out the Meoptas revealed clearer, more resolved images on distant objects by comparison.  I'm not pleased with this.

Does it sound like a problem with this pair, Steiners in general, or any high-end, very close focus capable binocular?  I'm thinking of just going ahead and investing in a Swarovski, or the Meopta 8X42.  what do you guys thing?
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2010 at 22:15
These are recognized as a high quality optic, and one thing is how is the diopter setting
made?  Is it part of the focusing knob or on one of the eyepieces.  If this is not locked down
maybe that is why you are losing focus.
Just thought maybe it is something simple like this as you are getting used to how they
work.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 10:15
You need to follow the instructions in the owners manual to set up the XP's correctly. I have a pair myself and love em. The diopter focus is on the left barrel at the ocular and that needs to be adjusted correctly first else all the rest is for naught.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 16:24
The Peregrine is a VERY fine glass, BUT... like Roy said the Diopter adjustment is on the left eye piece, not the right.  Be sure you have that figured out.  Wink  Fooled me for a minute too when I first got my review pair. 

If you did have that figured out, then take a deep breath, read over the manual and set up the focus again.  When you know you are doing it right, and if the problem is still there, then you may have a problem that might need a call to Steiner service.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

FastJimmy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FastJimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 22:56
I usually don't have to worry about diopter adjustments, and things seem very clear closer up.  I'll give it another try tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies!!
spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 11:14

Do you wear prescription glasses? and do you take them off when using binoculars? Most high end binoculars will allow you to turn focus past infinity to allow people with different eyesights to see at infinity.  If the diopter adjustment does not work, I will suspect that pair may not be assembled properly for infinity focus.  Another clue is that if the close up focus distance is much shorter than advertised, there will not be room for distance focus. I have seen such binoculars before (probably just sample variation)

NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 18:41
Originally posted by FastJimmy FastJimmy wrote:

I usually don't have to worry about diopter adjustments, and things seem very clear closer up.  I'll give it another try tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies!!

After thinking about your response to this post, you "do" need to adjust the diopter
with any binocular to fit your eyes.

Otherwise, don't bother with the nice Steiners, go to Walmart and get the $30 Bushnell.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 23:05
Yeah, you really do need to worry about the diopter adjustment.  Pick a good contrasty object at least 100 yards out, focus the non diopter eye with the focus wheel, then the diopter with with the diopter ring.  If you don't get the adjustment right, it won't work well.

Remember the Steiner reverses the usual procedure, if your eyes are diferent, the setting you need with the Steiner won't be the same as you are used to.  For example it you are used to "putting the diopter in the middle" for the right eye, that setting may not be correct for the other eye.  The point is to get each barrel adjusted for each eye.

Edited by Klamath - January/18/2010 at 23:09
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 23:38
Just to add to what Steve said, use the supplied objective lense covers to block each barrel while adjusting the focus and diopter side. Remember, keep both eyes open while making your adjustments. In other words, block the left side first and adjust the focus side. Next, block the focus side (right side) and adjust the diopter wheel. Open both and enjoy.
FastJimmy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FastJimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 00:30
I spent some time with them today and found maximum clarity with a slight adjustment of the diopter.  Once again, I'm very impressed with the optics of these.   This has renewed my desire to find binoculars of this quality that fit and work as well as possible.

However, the distant focus limitations still persist.  I found the close focus to be under 5.5 feet, which is a foot under the published amount, so the earlier poster who suggested that might be part of the problem seems to be correct.

The right twist-up eyecup seems to have developed slight cracks, visible upon extending it.  It has always been more difficult to deploy than the left.  I think these are going to have to go back, but I WILL find a great pair of 8 or 8.5 power binocs to go with the 10X meoptas.

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 11:21
You very likely will not improve the Steiner image any with a more expensive Euro glass, unless you happen to "bond" with one particular brand.  You will just spend more.  Besides those Steiner's seem built like the proverbial tank. 

Since you like your Meopta, I'd be curious why you didn't go to a 7-8x Meostar?  Meoptas are close enough to the alphas the difference is hardly worth comment too. 

I think before I went some other direction, I would advise you to send them to Steiner.  The eye cup cracking issue does not sound normal.  The focus thing does not resemble the pair I had either.  See for yourself how Steiner handles warranty and service.

Edited by Klamath - January/19/2010 at 11:25
Steve

FastJimmy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FastJimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 14:33
Ill consider it, but I did send them an email asking the same questions I asked on here.  Here, I received helpful tips from experienced users.  Their email response consisted entirely of, 'if you think there is a focusing issue, send them to us for evaluation'.
I did pick them up for 800 dollars, though, which is a steal.   I thought I'd get slightly better optics for the same money as the Meoptas.  

To everyone who replied, I have to say a serious thank you.  Not sure what direction I'll go in, but the help is VERY appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic