OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Buy the best and move between rifles?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote che Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buy the best and move between rifles?
    Posted: January/16/2010 at 02:51
Just getting into tactical rimfire, to enjoy the low cost per round and am looking to get some glass for the 10/22.
I'm wanting to go Mil/Mil or Moa/Moa on my 308  and the 22 and the SS Variable appears ideal, however I don't want to be spending lots on both scopes.

Does it make sense to get one nice scope and move it between rifles - or is that a huge PITA each time you go to the range? 

Are there any Mil/Mil scopes coming around the corner for ~$150 or should I get a standard Mildot/ Moa turret scope such as the Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire

and just deal with the different turret universes on different scopes and bounce between the two systems?

Thanks for your advice.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2010 at 09:24
I not a fan of playing musical scopes, but some times budget and other circumstances dictate that it must be done. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2010 at 16:37
I swapped scopes for awhile, it was a pain, eventually got scopes for both.

If the option is 2 decent scopes, one for each, or one good scop to move between the 2, get the good scope and move it.  The 3-9SS has exposed turrets, mark your dope for each rifle and it shoudl esily return to zero when you move it.

I'd invest in a good QD mount as well, that'll make it simpler to swap.

For the mount, I'd rtecommend LaRue, but others like and use other stuff too.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2010 at 17:50
Well....I'm a swapper. Wink

The 3-9x SS covers a LOT of ground. Get good rings, as suggested, and rock on.    
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2010 at 18:14
 Me too. 
 I don't particularly LIKE swapping scopes around, but it seems like I'm always doing it anyway for one reason or another, (usually money-related!)
 It's not that bad with a good mounting system and a repeatable scope, especially if you record your zeroes.
 All part of the fun, I guess.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2010 at 18:56
For $99. why dont you put a Vortex on the .22 and put a 3-9x42 variable Super Sniper on the .308   You would spend more on the La Rue mount than you would on the Vorex scope.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 14:03
If you have picatinny rails on your rifles it is easy to do, you do need to have compatable scope rings and re-zero your scope each time . It is easy at the range it would be a pain hunting unless you go to the range first. I do a lot of scope swaping at the range I carry a small spiral notebook and write down the setting and I am usually close when I change a scope back

Duce  Smile
Duce
WarmBore View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarmBore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 18:57
I'll echo RONK,

I don't like it either but I do it so often in the field that my go to mount has become the GG&G Acucam (in fact I just ordered another one which is due in Tuesday).  This is the AR-15 version but they do offer a low mount for bolt-actions which would probably work for your Ruger:

I've also used the ARMS #22 throw lever mounts which work quite well.  I've come to prefer the ARMS #63 riser with tactical low rings on AR-15 types when I use them.  But I still prefer the GG&G over anything else I've tried including the ARMS mounts.  Of course you need to get a picatinny rail for either and my prefs are my own.

I can confirm that both ARMS and GG&G do give you repeatable zeros.  In fact I'm usually within one or two clicks on re-attach.  YMMV.

I will say the biggest nuisance in swapping is if you're planning on resetting your turrents to zero for each rifle.  This is such a PITA that I generally pick a rifle to go with a scope and set the zero and then like Duce I just record additional zeros in my log book for swapped in rifles.  This isn't hard and fast but it works most of the time.

Once the scope has sorta stopped humping other rifles and settled on a mate I'll generally swap out the quick detach mount for a good set of fixed rings.

For your purposes you'd set the zero on your .308 and then adjust the zero with turrents on your 10/22 and record your settings for the 10/22 in your book.  When you need to jump back to .308 just set your knobs to zero.  When you jump over to your 10/22, just refer to the recorded zero in your log book.  Simple and easy.

WB
You only need to be as accurate as you need to be.
che View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote che Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 04:14
"For $99. why dont you put a Vortex on the .22 and put a 3-9x42 variable Super Sniper on the .308 "

-Only problem there is that I'd have .1 mil clicks on one and 1/4 MOA on the other...which decreases the cross training value.

Guess I'm still hunting for a reasonably priced .1 mil turret option. I wonder how long I'll have to wait?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 07:23
I will say this about your cross training.  I did that when I first started wanting to get competent at tactical shooting and thought the same frame as you.  I practiced so much with the 10/22 that I would sometimes do changes on my 308 that I would do for my 22.  It messed me up several times because of the habit I got into with the 22.  Then i switched scopes on the 22 so it was completely different than my 308 and I haven't done the same thing again.  My 308 turrets are etched in my memory and I can normally rattle off the clicks from my 100yd zero out to 800yds without thinking.  Now with my 22 I just used a different scope and recoreded the values on a lamenated piece of paper and taped it to the stock and tried not to remember it and mess with the values I already had memorized.   My  2 cents and personal experienc..
WarmBore View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarmBore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 10:52
I think the least expensive MIL/MIL scope out there is the Millet TRS-2 for $289 found here:

Well worth reasonable amount of money.  Also, look on the Millet Tactical Scopes page.  They also have TRS-1 and LRS-1 models in .1 MRAD adjustments.

WB
You only need to be as accurate as you need to be.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic