OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope and setup for Rem. mil spec

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warfrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope and setup for Rem. mil spec
    Posted: January/15/2010 at 18:32
I posted awhile back but still haven't decided...just picked up my rifle today so I have to make a decision pretty quick...I will use the rifle for hunting deer mainly but would also like to be able to take a coyote or other varmint out at 300 plus yds.  I thought I'd decided on a Zeiss Conquest but after reading some of the posts about the SWFA SS I'm starting from scratch again.  I want to put a scope on this thing that will be great during low light hours and I've never used the mil-dot before but having read about it, it seems like it would be very beneficial for this rifle.  Also, I'm wondering what mount and rings to get as well.  One of my friends suggested the Burris tactical rings.  Ya'll help me out here, I'm ready to buy!
300 ultramag View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300 ultramag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 11:10
nikon 5-20x44 monarch bdc never guess again i got one on my 300 ultra and have made kills at 800 with the circles they work
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 12:28
I'd probably go with a Conquest in a 4.5-14x50 plex w/target knobs (i like the 4.5-14x44 better but I don't think they make them w/knobs anymore). Or a Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x42 tactical mil-dot. The Conquest will be a little better in low light but the rainguard on the Bushnell is a nice feature.  

I'd get a EGW base and use the Burris Xtreme tactical rings your buddy suggested. I have those on my XCR Compact tactical and it has never needed an adjustment since intial sight in !!

And price range is always an important aspect !! I figure if your looking at Conquests you don't want to plunk down for alpha class scope ???

Edited by cbm - January/17/2010 at 14:25
300 ultramag View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300 ultramag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 12:57
anyone can tell u anything if i tell you something its my personal experience and not what i hear or heard or wat joe blow likes jus my 2 cents
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 15:36
 Personally if it were me I would not hesitate to buy a ss 3-9, and I will be as soon as funds allow me to for my Bushmaster. I have their 20x for target and find them to be top notch and very reasonably priced.
 As far as the rings go look at the ss brand tactical almost the same as Burris XTR but at a better price, I have both makes and can't really tell them apart.
froggy
cowski View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 17:11
i have killed many deer and coyotes out to 400 yds,with a 3.5 x 10 vari x111.i would not get a fixed power.my new leupold has a boone & crockett reticule it  helps holdover on shots over 300 yds.the new one is much clearer than the old one,but the old one was clear enough to shoot after legal hours.i would recommend a leupold vx3 with b&c out to 400yds.
never corner something meaner than you are jbc
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 00:37
If you plan to use the reticle for ranging and/or holdover, FFP scope is a good idea.  

I can heartily recommend the Variable S.S. for that.  I have rotated mine through a bunch of rifles, but ended up leaving it on a 280Rem.

The magnification is sufficient for shooting pretty far out as long as the target is not too small.  If you are shooting something the size of a coyote, Variable S.S. is a pretty good way to go. 

It is a very versatile scope, with excellent optical quality and low light performance.

If you are planning to shoot at truly small targets at extended ranges, then a little more magnification may be in order.

In that case, I would suggest you check out Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 or Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42.

The Elite 6500 is probably the most versatile choice due to very flexible eyerelief and large magnification range.

ILya

Edited by koshkin - January/18/2010 at 00:37
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 02:48
Look at Zeiss Rapid Z reticles.  Look at Trijicon Accupoint scopes both the 2.5-10x56 and the 5-20x50 with tactical knobs their illumination is awesome.  Look at the Super Sniper Variable.
You need to know what scope first before you select rings.  Talley light weight rings or Leupold dual dovetail work good for a hunting rifle but for a tactical gun Badger Ordnance or the more reasonably priced TPS  rings and base

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
warfrat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warfrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 13:05
I think I've got it down to either a Nikon or a Bushnell.  Now, I just have to start weighing pros/cons of each.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 13:23
I agree with Koshkin on this the variable SS would be good to go. I personelly own the 6500 he also recommended and use it to shoot F-class with and normally leave on 10 to 12X. At 10X I routinely break clay pigions at 440 yards on 10X. I use the 6500 just in case I need to pull a 14 lb rifle out in the woods. LOL!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 13:53
BTW: Badger Ord. Rings and bases are great BUT if your not using this rifle true sniper matches they really are not needed. Use a EGW 20 MOA mount and Burris Extreme rings an you'll be fine. Use the savings for ammo or reloading supplies.

Edited: IMHO

Edited by Steelbenz - January/19/2010 at 13:58
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
warfrat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warfrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 14:38
I just saw this on the sample list for 699...what about it? I don't know much about it other than Leupold's reputation....that's almost half the original price but still about the same as the Nikon or Bushnell. Suggestions?
http://swfa.com/Leupold-45-14x56-VX-3L-QDManager-30mm-Riflescope-P12722.aspx this
warfrat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warfrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2010 at 20:51
ok>>  the question of the hour is now- Bushnell 6500 or the SWFA SS ??  gonna pull the trigger tomorrow after I sleep on it...just want to make sure I'm not getting the wrong one...based on everything I've read on here, either one would work but I'm just wondering if the side focus and rainguard on the Bushnell outweighs the quality glass and reputation of the SS?  hopefully ya'll will help me decide tonight.  Thanks again for all the feedback!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 07:15
While i love the SS and recommend it 9 times out of 10, the 6500 will give you a higher magnification range even if you dont' always use it you will be happy to have it at some point or another.  If it were a 6500 3x9 vs a SS 3x9 then SS would get my vote but the difference makes me go with the 6500 personally
warfrat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warfrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2010 at 15:37
I just pulled the trigger....I actually called to order the Bushnell and while I was on the phone I changed my mind (call it a gut feeling - idk?) and went with the SS.  Thanks for all the advice, I hope I made the right choice!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic