OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

P-Dog Hunting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P-Dog Hunting
    Posted: January/15/2010 at 10:15
So me and a few friends want to do some P-Dog hunting.  We dont' have these critters in NC and are looking for a place to go and spend a few days and go. I have been once before years ago but it was just at a friends family ranch and its has been since sold.  Anybody know any good outfits or place to do this at?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 10:26
talk to trigger or sd dog or rifledude
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 11:03
lets see if they chime in if not I will PM them
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 12:00
Unfortunately it is becoming a "pay for play" game.  Most places I used to go that were free are now asking $40-$50 a gun per day just to shoot, no lodging.  There are lodges that offer hunts.  I go western SD.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 13:04
I've been going to NE New Mexico near Clayton, and occasionally the Texas panhandle.  I won't divulge my top secret hotspot, but you can generally get plenty of info by just contacting either the chambers of commerce.  One good source of intel on where to go is by contacting a local feed store / farm & ranch store and asking who they know that has a p.d. infestation.  A local farmer that is truly infested with prairie rats will often be more than happy to let you come over and shoot them.  Treat people with courtesy and respect, and you will usually develop leads that way, as even if a farmer doesn't have a huge population of rats, they often know someone who does.

This is exactly how I found the place I go to.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cornhuskid View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornhuskid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 13:52
Try Rosebud, SD and Salt Camp Cabins.  Always a good time.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 17:12

heading east from SLC pick a patch 200 miles wide  until you get to Cheyenne wyo. 

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 16:30
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

We dont' have these critters in NC 

I shot this PD outside of Vale, NC.......Wink 
Tough too. Took 3 shots to bring him down.  

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 16:42
Must be from the same gene pool as the saber tooth squirrel. 

SVT - When you do get out west in p-dog country and you are asking around, I suggest you don't look like the weekend warrior type.  Jeans and a plain shirt help open some doors as well.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 17:00
yes-- if you have a Volvo don't take it.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2010 at 19:50
Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

Unfortunately it is becoming a "pay for play" game.  Most places I used to go that were free are now asking $40-$50 a gun per day just to shoot, no lodging.  There are lodges that offer hunts.  I go western SD.

At first glance it seems a bit abhorrent to have to pay to shoot rodents, but when you think about it, that isn't the worst thing in the world. (Until they get totally greedy about it, anyway.)
 It places some value on the dogs, giving the landowners a little incentive to refrain from gassing them out or poisoning them off completely, assuring a place to shoot in the future.
 What else can you do for 50 bucks a day?
 Heck, they'd probably let you camp out right on the property for a few extra bucks, saving you motel fees and gas back and forth.

For that matter, a lodge hunt might be worth a hot shower and a good meal...
  Only you can decide.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2010 at 23:05
I have a place in Beaver OK that I have hunted on for three years. He never ask for a fee . I want to be able to go back. I try to be generous because it is a lot closer than  the drive to SD He has 4 sections that have quite a few Pds. They are not nearly as abundant as in SD. Riverview Ranch just north of New Underwood has a PD town that you can burn up several guns in a day if you have a mind to. The lodge there is very is very nice too.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 22:33

Sounds like fun.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2010 at 21:55
I have went to Elkhart, KS for a few years. Public land available and rangers will let you shoot.....
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic