OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR Problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR Problems
    Posted: January/14/2010 at 09:49
I have a AR-15 that has recently started to messup when I put the magazine in and chamber a round the trigger will stick when I go to fire the round almost like it is on saftey but it isnt.  I cleaned the gun and gave it a little oil to make sure the bolt is locked in correctly and it will work fine, but when I go hunting a few days later and chamber a round the same thing happens again.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 10:09
Have you checked your fire control?  Take down the rifle so that you have only the lower.  Test fire but remember to catch the hammer and not let it smack the reciever frame.  If it acts up clean it or tune it up with new springs or fire control.  A field kit rebuild is another option.  Try the test fire of only the lower and let us know what happens.
spinner08 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 10:20

The trigger will pull with just the lower and it works fine with just the the lower.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 10:24

Cleaned the bolt and carrier good and have the bolt installed correctly with the extractor at 11o'clock?  Does the firing pin show wear?  Can you hear the hammer stike or is it not engaging the hammer when cycled?

Edited by SVT_Tactical - January/14/2010 at 10:25
spinner08 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 10:31
When I can pull the trigger I can hear the hammer strike but most of the time it is like the saftey is engaged when it isnt. Sometimes it seems like it has a hard time taking the round from the magazine. 
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 10:36

skip this post

Edited by SVT_Tactical - January/14/2010 at 10:39
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 10:39

Are you seeing indentation on your primmers?  I re-read what you said about hearing the hammer strike. If the trigger will pull it doesn't sound safety related.  Check your trigger and hammer springs for wear as well as your firing pin. 

spinner08 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 10:41
I havent seen any burrs in the gun before. I disassemble my bolt and clean it everytime I clean the gun. Where can I get a field repair kit and how much do they usually cost?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 10:47
I would call the manufacturer and see if you can talk to one of their armorers.  I bet they could help you figure out the problem quickly.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 10:47
Midway has one for around $30 I think. I can't get to the site at work because of the filter but I believe its called the DPMS field repair kit. 
spinner08 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 10:49

Will it work on a olympic arms rifle?

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 10:50

Yes, most all of the major manufactures have one Olympic may, check there website but the parts for most are all mil-spec which is what they all take.

Except colt they do have different size holes sometimes

Edited by SVT_Tactical - January/14/2010 at 10:52
spinner08 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 10:52
Thanks for your help I will get that kit installed and let you know how it goes
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 11:01
You may want to see what some other guys say I am not an expert amorur by any means but I have had to replace some springs before because they started to wear out and give me a fit.  You could start there as hammer and trigger springs are only about $2.00 a piece from Midway.  And a firing pin isn't much either.

Try this.  Load a single round in the chamber with the bolt held back. Hit the release then pull the trigger and see if it fires. 

Then put i mag in. Cycle the bolt and then see if it fires.  IF this doesnt' but the first method did fire  you may have a feeding problem that needs to be addressed first. 

When I did the above to test before and was having a problem it was a spring problem though. the hammer spring was wore out and when I replaced it the problem went away.  But being your getting in there you may want to go ahead and do a complete rebuild like i mentioned above if you have a lot of rounds through your AR

Edited by SVT_Tactical - January/14/2010 at 11:05
spinner08 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 11:07
Will the repair kit come with the spring that is in the buttstock?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 11:30
No the bufffer spring is seperate.  you can get a new one but i haven't ever seen on that need replacing because of wear.
spinner08 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinner08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 11:37
You can get a longer spring to replace the stock one right? 
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 11:51
There are two sizes, carbine and regualar. Depends on what buttstock you are using.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 12:00
A longer spring could cause your bolt carrier to short stroke.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 12:05

Standard A2 butt stocks use a standard buffer spring and buffer.  Collapsable normally use the carbine.  There are also different buffers for the two so you have to keep that in mind too.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic