OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold vx111 and the new vx3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote win243 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold vx111 and the new vx3
    Posted: January/14/2010 at 06:31
Probably been done over many times , but is there a significant difference . I am going to get a 2.5-8 x36 vx  but I have a choice of the two models , price is similar so it's just up to me to pick one and yourselves to help me.  Many thanks   Ian   Big SmileHowdy 
good hunting
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 06:35
I have heard several people state that the newer models (vx 3) are noticably better optically especially in low light. Also, the newer ones have two springs holding the erector in position as opposed to just one in the older model. That would be reason enough for me right there to get the newer VX 3 model. Ive noticed that the price on that model has dropped from $429.00 to $399.00. Thats cheaper than most ebay listings.

Edited by DAVE44 - January/14/2010 at 06:37
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 06:50
Yes, again the mysteries of scope manufacturers. Very little real info is out there, other then what someone heard...or I spoke to so and so at the factory..

However, Leupold says it is new and improved, so it must be so!!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 07:22
Best to go ahead and get the new technology versus older.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 07:37
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

The debate is if it is indeed new technology, or the old just re-packaged.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 07:43
go with the newer one

"
I have heard several people state that the newer models (vx 3) are noticably better optically especially in low light. Also, the newer ones have two springs holding the erector in position as opposed to just one in the older model. That would be reason enough for me right there to get the newer VX 3 model. Ive noticed that the price on that model has dropped from $429.00 to $399.00. Thats cheaper than most ebay listings."

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 08:06
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

The debate is if it is indeed new technology, or the old just re-packaged.

Ah, did read that.  Well its been known to happen, best way I can tell to see is put them side by side and compare to see if there is a difference, blind test is the best so your not bias.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 08:33
I would buy the vx-3 over the vxIII, even if they are the same.  The resale value will be greater than the older model and the perception is, is that the new model is better.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 08:37
You can find the VX-III discounted at many sporting goods store.The new VX-3 is a better scope in low light.I would say the optics are very comparable to the 4200 and Zeiss Conquest.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 10:11
Originally posted by Randall45 Randall45 wrote:

You can find the VX-III discounted at many sporting goods store.The new VX-3 is a better scope in low light.I would say the optics are very comparable to the 4200 and Zeiss Conquest.

Well, then they must have downgraded on glass, because the VXIII was better then the 4200.
Flame
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 12:04
I never had a VX-III so I can't honestly compare the two.  But I do have a Conquest and a VX-3 and they are pretty close in low light.

HTH,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic