OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Leupold VX-3 Heavy Duplex or Zeiss Conquest Z-Plex
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX-3 Heavy Duplex or Zeiss Conquest Z-Plex

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VX-3 Heavy Duplex or Zeiss Conquest Z-Plex
    Posted: January/13/2010 at 19:00
I'm looking at these two scopes for a low-light calling rifle, Leupold VX-3  3.5-10x40 with the heavy duplex and the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 with the Z-plex reticle.  After looking through numerous lit reticles I'm leaning towards putting the money towards some quality glass with a heavy post style reticle. It seems that most of the illuminated scopes with good glass that I was looking at were pretty costly and/or had reticles that blocked out quite a bit of target. I'm just debating whether to go with the Leupy or the Zeiss. The heavy duplex and z-plex seem pretty similar, just wondering if anyone has had experience with either scope or reticle in low light situations.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 19:30
In my view the Conquests Z-Plex is the best plex reticle available, though I don't own any, I truly love the ones I've looked through.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
dls56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dls56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 19:40
My Zeiss Conquest 3X9 is my best low light scope. I don't have any VX-3's but I do have several VX-II's that are great scopes that quite frankly work well enough for 1/2 hour before sunrise and 1/2 hour past sunset (legal deer hunting hours). 

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 19:51
I don't think you'd be unhappy with either.
 And I think you are wise to be placing something of a priority on glass quality over illumination. A heavy reticle is icing on the cake.
 Also, have you checked out the Laser Designator, and at least considered it for your varmint calling applications?
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 21:01
Not to change your mind about a plex reticle, but a #4 reticle is something you should consider also for  low light.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
m1bandit View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 21:58
the laser designator sounds interesting, I've been looking into it but haven't heard many reviews from those who have used them. 

I'm sure either scope would be fine, just want to make the right choice since I'm spending that much money.
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 23:12
  Have the Conquest - I love it, gotta say, by far my favorite reticle (Z-Plex). I had a Leupold with the heavy duplex, ended up selling it, I thought that the reticle was a bit too thick and "clumsy looking" - Better glass on the Zeiss.  

Edited by bricat - January/13/2010 at 23:13
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 07:28
What about the firefly reticle on the Bushnell Elites?
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 08:17
Have a 3x9 conquest with the #4 reticle.  Great in low light.  The standard Z-plex stays BLACK all the time.  I'd get it over the Hvy. Duplex Leupy.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
SDnailbender View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDnailbender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 21:24
Leupolds reticle subtension chart in the 2010 catalog shows the heavy reticle covering 1.7" at 3.5X and .6" at 10X. I presume these are at 100yrds.

I have a VX3 1.75-6 with the heavy reticle and it is much heavier than the illustrations show it to be. The one I have would be fine for low light and large animals. I think it would cover a deers chest almost completely at extended ranges even set on 6X.
Mind you I have not hunted with this reticle, but for me I do not know if I will keep it and have the reticle changed, leave it alone or trade it.
I simply mis-applied the scope for my use
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2010 at 07:57
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Not to change your mind about a plex reticle, but a #4 reticle is something you should consider also for  low light.

I just got a Swarovski AV3-9x36 with the 4A reticle and love it. The fine top crosshair gives the illusion in appearance to a spotting scope.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2010 at 12:50
I was coyote hunting at night recently. I had a 3.5-10x50 Leupold and my brother had a 3-9x50 Conquest with Z-plex. Both of us would have had a hard time making the shot on a snow covered field after dark. We both passed our rifles back and forth and were in agreement on this. There was a slight edge to the Zeiss, but not enough to be a deal breaker.

Doug
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2010 at 13:04
Conquest.
Didn't like the variable ER on the Leupold, but it was a terrific scope, none the less.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2010 at 13:35
I would say the Zplex but then again I never used a Leupold heavy duplex.  I would take the Zplex over the regular duplex anytime.

Badger
m1bandit View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 00:28
Taqua, that really helps... I hunt the same way quite often and was wondering what the view was like through both scopes over a snowy field at night.  I may have to lean towards a Trijicon?
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 11:46
I have read ALOT of good things about the trijicon and how good the reticle is for low light.  You're right, you should look into this line but... if I'm gonna go for absolute max low light performance with the glass then get ready to spend a few nickels.  I'm talking Zeiss Victory, Swaro Z6 and the likes.  Fair warning though I never have done the late night coyote hunt.  Taqhua and you sound like you're on the same page.

Badger
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 12:00
I have a VX-3 and a Zeiss Conquest.  Optically, they are very close, so I wouldn't let that sway me. 

As far as reticles, I would definetly choose the Zeiss.  Why?  Because they have the "blackest" reticles of the two.  In low light you might-not be able to see the fine cross hairs but you can rest assure you can see those heavy duples stadia's and you can bracket the animal with them.

HTH,
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 12:06
I have to add that my scope was the standard Leo plex and not the heavy. That is what really surprised me, though. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
This also had me thinking what I needed to do with some of my low light/night time rigs. The Trijicon is well liked around here and is supposedly a great scope.
My conclusion for my particular after dark rig is the http://swfa.com/Laser-Genetics-ND-3-Laser-Designator-P41090.aspx This device has been getting rave reviews on this forum and will save me some coin I can apply to some other optics. I know it will work because our Surefire weapon lights with red filters do the job. They can spook where as the laser, from accounts here, doesn't. This may give you some leeway in scope selection.
We also had some other scoped guns along, so I'll add this. We have to switch to rimfire or scatter gun in MI at night, no centerfire allowed. We were hunting with a 3-12x44 Burris Signature and a Mepta R1 3-10x50. This was during the day and until 1/2 hour after sun set. I had a standard plex and the R1 a 4A. We were hunting ridges above swamps and in varying degrees of light. The R1 is astounding in this regard. It was fast to acquire because of the three plex post design. It was also heavy and easy to see in these conditions. It totally smoked my Burris. This scope appears to be in your general price range, too........ just a thought.

Doug
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 12:16
If price is no issue... http://swfa.com/Zeiss-25-10x42-Victory-Varipoint-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P12852.aspx
For my choice anyways, but then again when is price never an issue... hehehe.
Like Tahqua says a 4a type reticle would be ideal in the low light scenarios, not taking anything away from the Meopta. 
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2010 at 12:27
Oh yeah, we can really wick it up from there. Both my brother and I have 4A reticles in Kahles 30mm tubed scopes. I also have a Kahles illuminated C-Dot CSX. But, that easily doubles the price on most of these other scopes. All excellent in low light and heavy cover.
Like you say badger, hehehe. It's great spending other peoples moneySmile

Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic