OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

When should you re-scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When should you re-scope?
    Posted: January/13/2010 at 15:30
I believe this is a valid question. Should you rescope every 10 years or so? Obviously technology advances and better glass gets cheaper to make. Is it a good idea to re-scope ever so often?? I know if the scope you have is holding zero and provides adequate light transmission for what you are hunting/using it for; there's probably no need to rescope. --Bboy623 Loco
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 15:32
You said it.  If it ain't broke and you are ok with it then unless you just want something different there isn't a need.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 15:55
I agree, I believe most of us change scopes and rifles long before they're worn out, but thats part of the fun.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 23:14
When the wallet's full and the wife ain't lookin' !!!  Wink
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 23:36
I would never replace a scope without some sort of reason, such as wanting a different reticle or turret style, more or less magnification, weight savings, etc. But you can always re-use it on another rifle.
Reaction time is a factor...
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 23:56
You should change your optics when you believe that they no longer meet your needs.  For some of us that may be unreasonably often as in several times a year but that is an extreme.   If an optic is a hunting optic on a hunting rifle and it does what you want at the distance you hunt  - dont fix something that isnt broken.  If you decide that another type of scope or type of reticle or target knobs will help you to be able to be more accurate then that is a good reason to try something new.  I particularly like the Trijicon illuminate reticle and feel they help to get on target quickly when hunting.  I also like scopes wiht tactical / target knobs to dial in correction for trajectory.  There are also many scopes with balistic reticles that are very helpful so long as you understad they work at the highest power only.
If you can tell us how you use your rifle we will suggest some options that you may really find helpful.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 01:56
Originally posted by bricat bricat wrote:

When the wallet's full and the wife ain't lookin' !!!  Wink

A lot of good and valid answers, but Bricat's must be the most honest!!!!

Only time to change is if you are going to upgrade to more expensive glass or a better reticule, which brings one back to Bricat's reply!!!
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 04:36
Yea, I need better low light performance on my 30/30.

I guess I was kinda wondering if in a few years we can get Zeiss Conquest quality ($500) for $200 because of technological advances not ony in glass but production which makes it less expensive to produce. Any thoughts?---Bboy623
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 07:24
Doubt you ever see a New Zeiss for that but keep an eye on the sample list.
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 07:36
I'm not talking about a Zeiss specificly, just the quality vs price---bboy623
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 07:39
Originally posted by Bboy623 Bboy623 wrote:

I'm not talking about a Zeiss specificly, just the quality vs price---bboy623

That is a good point. Todays cheapy scopes are probably better the xy expensive brand of 40 years ago. But 5 years ago?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 08:04
There are good cheaper scopes out there that are great optically and equal to older High end scopes. look that the $99.99 vortex on sale, lots of guys have it and say its great optically and probably equal to the 6-800 dollar scopes made 5-10 years ago.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic