OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Why 308?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why 308?
    Posted: January/13/2010 at 15:10
Trying to figure out why 308 is the go to round. I haven't been able to see the glory in it. Lots of ammo out there so its cheap to shoot. Ive read it's just like a 30-06 because the case is full of powder. I dont reload but with that mentality can't you do the same with the 06 case and beef that up too? Im looking at replacing my old 30-06 bolt and don't want to jump on the 308 bus just because everyone eles is without knowing why. I do see it being a kick ass semi auto AR-10 or FN but Bolt?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 15:12
 the .308 is inherantly more accurate,  and has less recoil. ammo and brass is everywhere for it, its a .30 caliber so that makes it popular right there. its got a shorter action than the 06 too. im with you though im not a .308 fan either. i prefer a .300 magnum of some sort when i reach for a .30cal.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 15:13

308 is the go to round because of its versitility can easily be used from 25 yrds to over 1000 effectively and has a fairly flat trajectory.  Ammo availiblity and the support is unbelievable as well as variety.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 15:16
1.  It was military developed, they spend more money than anyone else on ammo development.
2.  There is a near limitless supply of bullets, components, and options.
3.  no matter where you go, you will always be able to find ammo for a .308 - but the same is mostly true of a 30-06.
4.  It is a short-action round that will do 90% of what a 30-06 will do, it can fire lighter bullets or heavier, depending on what is needed.
5.  It is big enough to kill most things found on our continent but doesn't usually "hurt" to shoot - incontrast to a 300RUM.

In short, is is an efficient and accurate bullet that does many things very well.  They can be very, very accurate, ammo selection is immense, and it is an accomplished hunting caliber.

Ido not recommend buying a .308 because "everyone has one", I recommend buying a .308 because it is worth owning.

If this is a "one rifle" scenario, I'd recommend 30-06 over 308, it has a few more options than does a .308.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 15:16
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

can easily be used from 25 yrds to over 1000 effectively

Check your fire!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 15:21
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

can easily be used from 25 yrds to over 1000 effectively

Check your fire!

as in?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 15:59
308 has a pretty hard time being effective past 1000 yards.  It barely sneaks out there while remaining supersonic and if that is with only a few loads.

However, it is a mild-mannered cartridge with many superb ammunition choices available.

I would probably say that it at its best when kept within 800yards, and if you want to comfortably reach further you need something with better ballistics.

Still, when you shoot that far out, many cartridges do fine.  It is more about the shooter than the equipment.

ILya
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 16:09

308 is the go to round because of its versitility can easily be used from 25 yrds to over 1000 effectively and has a fairly flat trajectory.  Ammo availiblity and the support is unbelievable as well as variety.

Let me add on to my statement and clear it up,  effective in taking down a human sized target or ringing a large steel plate yes.  but no the ideal cartridge for that distance of 1000yds no.  Thats where variaty comes to play,  223 out to 400yds, 308 picks up there to 800 yds then trust 300win mag for those past, and the rest I am going to just sneak closer
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 18:11

1.  It was military developed, they spend more money than anyone else on ammo development.
2.  There is a near limitless supply of bullets, components, and options.
4.  It is a short-action round that will do 90% of what a 30-06 will do, it can fire lighter bullets or heavier, depending on what is needed.
5.  It is big enough to kill most things found on our continent but doesn't usually "hurt" to shoot - incontrast to a 300RUM.

In short, is is an efficient and accurate bullet that does many things very well.  They can be very, very accurate, ammo selection is immense, and it is an accomplished hunting caliber.

Ido not recommend buying a .308 because "everyone has one", I recommend buying a .308 because it is worth owning.

If this is a "one rifle" scenario, I'd recommend 30-06 over 308, it has a few more options than does a .308.
This I agree with 100%

3.  no matter where you go, you will always be able to find ammo for a .308 - but the same is mostly true of a 30-06.

This, not so much anymore. It seems as the ammo and component scare continues, the most popular cartriges seem to be the hardest hit. 30-06, and .308 are hard to come by here right now. May be different in other areas, but this has been my observation. If you own something that few people shoot, there is ammo everywhere. If it's something everyone has, they have already bought your ammo. Something to consider anyway

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 00:53

Cuda you dont have to jump on .308 or 30-06 what you need to do is figure out what works for you.  You should base that on what distance you shoot and what game you hunt.  With most cartridges the .308 is slower than 30-06 when pushing the same bullet and both 300 Win Mag and 300 WSM are about three hundred ft per sec faster than your 30-06 with the same bullet.   7mm mag is also quite popular and has slightly less recoil than the 300 Win Mag.   I suggest you go to http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rifle.aspx

and compare the balistics of several rifle cartridges then decide how much recoil you are comfortable with.  If you would like significantly lower recoil you should consider 7mm08 if you are not effected by recoil and hunt elk and larger game you may want a 338 Win Mag which retains huge amounts of energy even at 400 to 500 yds.   What is right for you may also depend on where and how you hunt as well as what you are hunting.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 02:24
Talking about the right or best caliber is best done around a campfire and a large bottle of whisky at hand.

There is no such thing, due to the many, many calibers and bullet weights and construction available. Thje possible permeations are endless.
The factors to consider are:
Sensitivity to recoil
Type of shooting application
Type of animal hunted
Distance of shooting or hunting
Financial position
your own personal choice and likes and dislikes
Other rifles you allready own
Trajectory required
and a host of others.

As for the 308Win, it fits into the mild recoil category and is inherently one of the most accurate mid range calibers. It is effective on non-dangerous game up to large size. 

As for the glory, the 308 is not that, it is a workhorse. The gloryboys are the Magnums, look at the 300 WinMag, 300H&H, 338 Lapua etc

Edited by 8shots - January/14/2010 at 02:29
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2010 at 12:53
Just saw this thread. I shoot a .308 because I've shot one for over 30 years. I know it capabilities with me behind the trigger. My son got one for Christmas so he could steal dads ammo. LOL!
You can do a lot with one. 378 inches of drop at 1K is not really a flat shooter but it is consistant.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2010 at 17:09
 You could go with the 7mm rem mag it will do everything a 308 will do but better, it does everything an 06 does but ammo is not as readily availiabe nor is the variety of ammo.
 The 7mm barks more and felt recoil is considerably more. I have both in Savage 10fp 20" barrels and find myself taking the 308 out more often, that being said I also have a 223 same configuration and that gets more use than either of the other 2.
 It all boils down to you sitting down doing a little research and deciding on what fills your needs the most. This is a great hobby and once you think you have it figured out something else pops up and you just have to have it.
 Make sure of one thing once you decide to jump in pick out a good safe--- then increase the size by at least 2x.
froggy
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2010 at 20:37
It is a dapper, accurate round and the only one I shoot while hunting...cause I'm just to scared of those magnums.
Reaction time is a factor...
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2010 at 21:19
Cuda if you like 30-06 you are not suffering any loss by staying there. If you want a faster bullet the 300 Win Mag is about right. If you were feeding both bolt and semi guns in .308 it makes sense to have rifles that are chambered the same caliber.  Those of us who reload have to keep our 190 SMK .308s in a different pile than our 168 AMAX  semi auto .308's I tend to think its better to jump to 300 WM or 300 WSM than to hot load the .308s.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2010 at 22:36
Everybody has an opinion on every cartridge.

If you want to shoot big game past 500 yards there are better rounds than the .308, but under 500 the .308 will do the job on most North American game if you are up to the job. I know this because I have done it, and seen others do it.
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2010 at 19:25
I love experience and wisdom, well said JB !
57Chevy 210 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 57Chevy 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 17:20
[QUOTE=koshkin]308 has a pretty hard time being effective past 1000 yards.  It barely sneaks out there while remaining supersonic and if that is with only a few loads.

However, it is a mild-mannered cartridge with many superb ammunition choices available.

I would probably say that it at its best when kept within 800yards, and if you want to comfortably reach further you need something with better ballistics.

Still, when you shoot that far out, many cartridges do fine.  It is more about the shooter than the equipment.

ILya

I would have to agree with you on that. 30 06 is hard to beat. The 270 is pretty flat shooting also. But I still shoot my 308 more..
Confidence is the feeling you have before you know the Situation.Conservative in Exile
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 17:33
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Just saw this thread. I shoot a .308 because I've shot one for over 30 years. I know it capabilities with me behind the trigger. My son got one for Christmas so he could steal dads ammo. LOL!
You can do a lot with one. 378 inches of drop at 1K is not really a flat shooter but it is consistant.

If I get a .308, can I steal your ammo???

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic