OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Viper vs Bushnell 4200

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Viper vs Bushnell 4200
    Posted: January/13/2010 at 15:06
I am interested specifically in your experience with the 3-9x40 models. Any input or reviews would be appreciated. I tried a search but did not see a comparison with these lower power variable scopes.

I purchased a Nikon Primos from SWFA based on various input, including this forum. Although the Primos scope was somewhat of a let down based on my expectations, I was very pleased with the SWFA experience.

The scope will go on a Savage 11 243Win. For hog and deer hunting under 200 yards.

Thank you,
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 15:10
if you were let down by the primos the 4200 and viper wont make you feel much better. i have a 4200 3x9 and a 2x7 viper, they are both pretty nice scopes i think. much better than the team primos i also own. rainguard makes the 4200 worth more than they sell them for easily. i can coment on the 3x9 viper but if its anything like the 2x7 i have its a nice scope. i love my 4200 its been on my .264win mag my .375H&H mag and now its going to sit on my new .300wby mag. tough scopes. i put the viper on my .375H&H and cant wait to run it through its paces on a heavy hitter.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 15:16
The bushnell is my choice of the two, not having used the viper but handling it and looking through it the bushy seemed a bit clearer and the rainguard as pyro stated makes it great.  The firefly reticle thats availible will also be great because of the low light used sometimes hog hunting and to pick up the deer at dawn and dusk. 
jjake View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 15:21
Thanks for the quick response. I have a 4200 which I like but it is 6-24x40; on my 12BVSS 308Win mainly for paper punching. You mention that the 4200 and Viper are "much better than the team primos". Is that in terms of general scope quality or is it clarity and low light performance?  
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 15:22
all three
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 15:24
the rainguard really makes it better, they are also a little clearer and i think a little better in low light, the bdc isnt a good reticle for low light. bushnell and vortex's cs depts are better than nikons as well. vortex will replace there scope for just about any reason at all if it fails, for free mind you. so you add all those things together and thats where the "much" better comes from.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 15:29
The only think I can think of and Pyro brought this up is the warranty where vortex will fix no questions asked reguardless, bushnell will evaluate and if its been after the no questions asked year, they sometimes, rarely, charge a repair fee.  So warranty is the only think i will give vortex over bushnell.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 15:31
the viper does have a slight edge in eye relief over the 4200, but is similar to that of the team primos.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jjake View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 16:06
I just found Koshkin's comments on the 3-9x40 Viper from back in 2007. His notes would suggest that for the money and quality, the 4200 may be better. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic