OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Remy XHR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remy XHR
    Posted: January/13/2010 at 08:13

All right guys!  Want to pick your brains!

I was leary of the Remy VTR with the trianglaur barrel when it 1st came out.  Decided to let others be the Beta testers and Gpigs! 

Now in my search for a 300WM I run accross the Remy XHR in 300WM which is supposedly the next gen large game version of the VTR with same style barrels with integral break.

Please give me your opinions about either you might have or had th opportunity to shoot.

I am still a little apprehensive about the triangular barrels! 
I have located an XHR for $720 and am wondering if it a deal.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 09:18
Cannot help you Bud.  It would be nice to hear from someone that owns one.
 You can allways throw the barrel off if it does not work and put a nice custom barrel on.
It is easy for you in the USA.
You may even get a nice second hand barrel from some benchrester etc.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 09:36
The XHR is based on the 700 action so thats an option.

Would still like to hear from any VTR owners.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 09:41
i can get you the same gun for that price 20 miles east of my place bud your price is fine.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 09:51
Thanks Hunter.  I just don't have the warm fuzzies about those triangular barrels.
Doesn't any OT member own one?
--Thomas Jefferson

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 09:56
id just try it bud, if you dont like it you can always have a regular barrel put on it later.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 10:09
my complaint is the stock, the forend is hollow channels like the cheapest Savages, also the vtr I have one can actually feel the stock torque if the hold is to tight.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 11:25
I can only imagine the amount of flex experienced with that stock and 300WinMag.  My Savage 270Win has the cheap synthetic stock and yes there is all kinds of flex in the forestock.  She still shoots 0.75MOA though!
--Thomas Jefferson

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 12:57
Shot at the range with a guy who had the vtr and he liked it at first.  After shooting for 10 rounds at a time it would heat up so bad the thing would loose all accuracy 2-3MOA.  Not a big deal for hunters but benchresting sure pissed him off.  Sent it off for a new barrel about a month after the purchase. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 13:00
i wont shoot ten consecutive rounds out of any of my rifles its hard on the barrel. 3 at a time and 5 if its below 32 degrees.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 13:15
Thanks Graham, thats the kind of fed back I am look for.  It also happened to be one of my concerns with that barrel design.  Thermal sensitivity and its effect of accuracy.  Would probably do fine for hunting but target shooting wouldn't be much fun with it!.
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 13:51

There are several things that could attribute to the heat, but mechanically the VTR barrel should perform overall better than a typical round or octagonal barrel.  There is a lot of surface area and dimininshed mass along the barrel axis.  The mass would be along the "points" of the triangle.  IOW, it should be stiffer at reduced weight than a typical barrel and should wick the heat away better. 

I would suggest that the groups opening up, with no data, but just a SWAG based upon the info provided, would be more related to a poor stock design that was probably putting pressure on the barrel as it heated.   
The physics of the thing is against the anecdotal evidence...
A triangular barrel should provide numerous advantages over "normal" barrels. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 14:24
The thing about surface area is correct but i think the amount of material from bore to outside is reduced in some places, along the axis of the sides not at the points.  While shooting and feeling on the barrel a little yes you could tell the sides were hot but at the points it wasn't noticable.  I think ideally it would work but it would need to be much larger versus a traditional barrel.  Where as the octagon barrels have more surface area they dont' skimp down on the sides versus with a triangle.  Does that make sense?  If not I can post a picture explaining.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 14:32

Drawings not posting from word sorry

Edited by SVT_Tactical - January/13/2010 at 14:33
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 14:40

x

. .

.  |   .

.   |    .

.      |       .

.         |          .

.            O     -  . y

.                            .

.                                 .

……………………….

This isn’t proportional but from the hole/bore to the side point y is less  from the hole to point x

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 15:59
My thinking was that if the bore isn't perfectly centered in a triangular barrel its fubar.
--Thomas Jefferson

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 16:03
Not my cup of tea, but I give credit to remington for being innovative and trying to stir up interest, my guess is that this design appeals to the younger generation.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 16:10
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Not my cup of tea, but I give credit to remington for being innovative and trying to stir up interest, my guess is that this design appeals to the younger generation.

I think we have a winner!  Its different therefore it appeals to those.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 16:18
Thunbs Up  Bingo!

I'm an old fart....give me tried and true!
--Thomas Jefferson

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 02:12
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Thunbs Up  Bingo!

I'm an old fart....give me tried and true!

Dang, I hoped we could talk you into buying it and then do a nice write-up for Opticstalk!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic