OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Newbie seeking Sniper Scope Opinion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie seeking Sniper Scope Opinion
    Posted: January/13/2010 at 03:39
I am starting a parts list to do a high-end sniper rifle. Specifically, a remington 700 xcr that I intend to set into a Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist A5 Fully Adjustable stock, add a bi-pod and I should have the beginnings of a fairly decent sniper rifle less the MOST-important part, the optic. I want a scope that will, in effect, outrange the 308 caliber projectile the rifle will be chambered in. So variable mag is a must and my price range is around $600.00. Ive already done a cheap conversion sporter rifle from a Mosin Nagant 91/30, I put a Burris fullfield 2 3-9x50 on it and liked it ok but i want more range and magnification. Maybe I am having visions of pulling off ridiculously long range shots?? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks 
Also- I posted a pick of the mosin just for kicks 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 06:38
I use a 10x SS all the way out to 1000yds.  Are you looking at poking paper or what?
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 08:36
A 1x scope will outrange any rifle in any caliber.
Did you have a specific brand, line, or mag range to correlate to your budget number?
If so these guys can pin it down real fast for ya.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 09:22
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope Mil-Dot SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95
Add SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart 
Leupold 4.5-14x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope Duplex Leupold 4.5-14x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU56140
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Side Focus
  • Target Knobs
$754.95
Nikko Stirling 10-50x60 Diamond Sportsman 30mm Riflescope NATO Nikko Stirling 10-50x60 Diamond Sportsman 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - NSN105060NATO
  • Matte
  • NATO
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • Target Knobs
$849.95
Add Nikko Stirling 10-50x60 Diamond Sportsman 30mm Riflescope to Cart 
Which of the three above appeals to you and why?

You sound like a prime cantidate to buy a 50 BMG or  338 Lapua, did this have anything to do with a bet with your boss?   

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 09:28
First and foremost, welcome.

Next, I'd recommend dropping the "sniper" part and possibly substituting "precision", unless you are a billeted sniper or the word is included in the riffle name - as in a Remington Police Sniper Special (PSS.)

At what ranges will you be shooting?
What is your knowledge and training in precision shooting?

I wouldn't plan on any long range shots initially, start at 100 yards and work your way out from that.  Precision shooting ain't like what you've seen in the movies.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 09:32
Welcome. Rancid has some good advise.
Also put a new custom trigger on your shopping list.
Newbie929 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 10:41
Yeah pretty much just to poke paper, but I want it to be there if I need it sort of thing, if that makes sense. I was looking on the swfa website and the SWFA SS 20x42 Tactical Riflescope, Any thoughts on this particular scope? Also, if my choice is rookie-like Hence the name Newbie!
Newbie929 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 10:42
A timney drop-in any good for 700's that is what I put in my M-4 and love it?
Newbie929 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 10:43
Not really I am open to suggestions from people with more precision experience than me. This is why I made this post.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 10:52
I'd get a 3-9SS for your rifle, that will do what you need.

Never compromise glass for magnification, good glass beats more magnification every time!

For an all-purpose rifle, 20X is way too much magnification.

A good smith can smooth your trigger, but yes, Timney makes nice triggers.

And, finally, don't skimp on base and rings, get good stuff, Badger, Seekins, TPS...
Newbie929 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 10:53
I am new (Hence the Handle Newbie) so "Sniper" was a generic Term"precision" should be substituted-OK Nope (just a paper-poker) and the rifle doesnt _to my knowledge_have "sniper" in it's title.
  I want to basically (ZERO) at 200-300yrds and adjust after that. My reasoning is my M-4 can easily reach to 200yds, my Mosin from 2-300yds, and I am wanting something strictly for 300 plus. Bi-pod proposition only at this point and I realize with this much mag, I will be restricted to "static" Targets only.
   My Training or level of knowledge is Beginner at best, but this is something I want to start. After I build the rifle I intend to record every shot I take with it.
   I have done the 100yd shots and trained with 22cals at that distance and with the M-4 and the Mosin Nagant. I realize I am not going to start right out and be Carlos Hathcock but I have been trained by our Military and shot extensively after that.
- Thanks
Newbie929 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 10:58
Really, none of the above because the first option I have in a Burris Fullfield 2, The Second is not Mil-Dot and the 3rd is out of my price range. If I had to make a choice I would say the Leupold if it was a mil-dot.
 My reasoning is listed in the post elsewhere.
Newbie929 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 10:59
Which Badger, Seekins, or TPS? Also, How do I post a pic on here the mosin I built doesn't show up?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 12:53
Badger base for a Remington 700...... and rings that match what scope you are getting ie. 30mm or 1"......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 15:11
In what branch did you serve?

What base depends on what scope; some have too little elevation range to mount on a 20MOA base.  Though it is far from the elast expensive, I would recommend Badger 20MOA base, Badger (or Seekins or TPS) rings, and the 3-9SS.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 15:19
I think a standard Omoa base will work with the SS variable fine to get out to the 100yd mark.Thinking
Newbie929 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 18:06
Again, I am not interested in shooting at 100yrds i can do that with a 22cal or any other rifle i currently have I am wanting to shoot Long Distances 1-2000yrds and be able to hit a cantalope sized target ie:HEAD-SIZED. I realize the scope is only part of this equation but is an important one.
-Thanks
Newbie929 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 18:08
USAF. i would rather spend more and not regret poor quality later.
Newbie929 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 18:14
OUCH Though $300.00 for the mount and the rings? Oh well that is extreme for me but i still think its something i can do over time.
KY Hick View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY Hick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 20:15
I was in your shoes along time ago. These guys gave me alot of good advice. I already had my rifle when I got on here. My best advice is this SAVE YOUR MONEY and get something you wont regret. It took me 8 months to save for the rifle, and it took 1 1/2 years to save for the scope(base,rings too).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic