OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rifle cases question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rifle cases question
    Posted: January/12/2010 at 13:13

After much research on this site and a few others (Thanks guys), I have decided on my new deer rifle and scope.  A Tikka T3 Lite Stainless .270 WIN (Lefty) and a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x50 are on the way.  I am now looking for some insight into the best soft sided rifle cases to protect my new toy when I set off to the woods next fall.  Any recommendations ?

To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. Theodore Roosevelt
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 13:27
Can't help with soft sided cases, I always use a hard sided case, even if it's a inexpensive one.  I spent too much time and money for my scopes, rifles and range time, I want to make sure that my investment is well protected. Even a cheep hard sided case gives me a lot more reassurance than can be afforded by a soft case.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 13:46
Second that.  I have an SKB soft case for my shotgun that I use if it will be riding on the back seat of my pickup to and from a shoot, but rifles get hard cases.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Woof View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 13:48
Ok....what kind of hard cases would you guys recommend ?
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. Theodore Roosevelt
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 13:51
I like hard cases as well.  I bought a 100 dollar double rifle case for a hunting trip to Alaska, but if I had to do it over again I'd save up a bit more money for a Pelican double scoped rifle case.  I've heard good things about the SKB, but as soon as I get the money I'm gonna spring for the Pelican.Big Smile
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 13:57
What's your budget?, I have a few $40.00 cases and one good $200.00 SKB double case that I use if I'm going to travel.  I normally use the cheaper cases for range and local hunting.  Make sure the case is wide enough that it clears the scope.  I've had a few that were to tight for my liking.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 14:44
The Plano Airglide can be had for $34 with free shipping. Check out Amazon.
Reaction time is a factor...
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 14:46
Depends on what you are going to be doing with it.  IF you travel with it often go ahead and get a pelican, airline approved and can take a beatin'  IF you just want it to store during the off season and get to and from the club or what not, WALLY_WORLD (walmart) has some great hard cases that are farily cheap. 
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 14:59
yep, Pelican for travel or Americase aluminum. For a soft case take a look at the Boyt Boundry Lakes.
Woof View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 15:02

Mostly for storage and local travel.  I'd like to keep it under $100 since I just bought the gun and scope, too.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 15:05
Not sure what part of SC your from but Mace Sports in Mebane NC has some "blems" aluminum combination single scope rifle cases for sale for $49.00.  IF you want one and are to far away, I pick one up and ship it to you if.  I got one a few months ago when they got them and haven't fount the blem yet.  Was there today and they still have 20+ of them.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 15:05
I've got some $15 -$20 hard cases from local sporting goods store.  Never fly with mine so have not invested in high dollar one, yet.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 15:27

Basically, any sub $50 plastic shelled hard case with reasonably strong hinges and clasps will work just fine for general travel in your vehicle to and from your hunts.  Unless you are really rough on your cases, they will last a reasonably long time and they are inexpensive to replace when they wear out.  The only time my rlfles ever spend in hard cases is while I'm actually traveling.  After that, they come out of the case anyway.  If you do a lot of airline travel with your rifles, as mentioned, I would definitely spring for either a Pelican or most any well-made aluminum case with strong hinges, as the airlines are anything but gentle with your stuff.  SKB makes good cases as well, but if I was considering it rather than a cheap Wally World plastic case, I'd just go ahead and get the Pelican.

As mentioned, I've found Boyt soft cases to hold up pretty well, but I only use soft cases when my rifle is traveling in the seat of my vehicle and the case isn't likely to get banged around.  Even then, I still usually use a hard case.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 16:20
I like the Bob Allen Intercept soft side cases for travel from camp to woods. The Intercept moisture protection layer works and there is enough padding that the case will float with up to a 10lb. gun inside.

Doug

Edited by tahqua - January/12/2010 at 17:38
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 17:31

Ebay usually has a couple pages of rifle cases, soft and hard. I bought an aluminum single scoped case for $50 delivered and then got a deal on Allen shot gun bags,6bags of different lengths for $45+ s/h.
 I also just got a Pelican 1750 as a Christmas gift, now IMO this is the best I have seen. Supposedly Pelican just took over Storm cases, kinda takes over the heavey duty market for good airline and military approved cases.

Edited by rjtfroggy - January/12/2010 at 17:33
froggy
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 20:03
The Kolpin Gun Boot has worked well for me.  It's light, tough, and sturdy enough to take abuse.  It's not nearly as big and awkward as the rectangular gun cases.  The baggage handlers have treated these much better than my big, heavy aluminum case, probably because it's so much smaller, lighter, and easier to handle.
Woof View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 07:42
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 07:51
Originally posted by Woof Woof wrote:

Anyone know anything about this
Plano hybrid case?

The concept of having the hard shell to protect you optics and bolt area are there but I would think that the areas of weakness would be where the materials are joined and the longgevity would be compromised because of it being built that way.  Of, course with it being called HYBRID you may get a Government kickback for purchasing it.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 08:05

Of, course with it being called HYBRID you may get a Government kickback for purchasing it.
[/QUOTE]

Why is that? Because your president is one?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 08:16
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Of, course with it being called HYBRID you may get a Government kickback for purchasing it.

Why is that? Because your president is one?
[/QUOTE]

Pretty much..... LOL  Hell we get it for cars, now for appliances soon, why not everything called hybrid
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic