OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Marlin 1894 44mag & Marlin 336 30-30

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marlin 1894 44mag & Marlin 336 30-30
    Posted: January/12/2010 at 10:43
I need to rescope these guns for youths and for me.  Looking for good value scopes maybe even fixed power.  Will be hunting mostly deer, might use the 44mag with special for coons or something else.  What do you guys think are good scopes for the money and what mounts.  I like the one-piece talley if they fit.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 10:50

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 11:44
I really like this scope for lever actions. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
cajunhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 12:15
This gun has the 4 tapped holes in the top.  It has the 4 screws but they seem stupid because they have to be loose for the action to work.  What do people do with those screws?  Maybe they were from an old scope that was mounted.  Do you need the plugs if you go with iron sights?
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 12:49
The screws are probably to long and are touching the bolt when tightened.  The screws were probably designed to attach the bases, someone probably took off the scope, rings and bases and then just threaded  the screws back in, so there weren't holes.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 14:36
It should come with plugs not screws that touch the bolt. You can get replacements from Marlin or when you mount your base not worry about it.  They most likely misplaced them when they put the scope on the first time
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 19:09
You could try your local gunsmith for plugs to cover the screw holes.  Marlin charges outrageous shipping cost for small inexpensive parts like over twenty bucks postage on a ten dollar item.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 19:38
anybody else on scope and mount options?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 19:58
What about that 4x38 Weaver K-Series?  Is that a good scope?
Upnordth View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upnordth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 20:07
I have an EGW picatinny base on several of my guns including my Marlin 308 which is identical to the 336 for mounting.  I use the EGW bases because you have a lot of room to move your rings back and forth for proper scope fit when it comes to eye relief and balance.  I also use Weaver Quad lock rings.  The EGW base with the wider Quad locks gives you options.  For scopes, I have a Weaver 1-3x20 on my Marlin 308...which I am really happy with.  I also have a Sightron Big Sky 1.25-5x20 that's looking for a home on another rifle to which I'm currently undecided.  The Sightron is 2x+ the price of the Weaver but very nice.  I don't think you would go wrong with the little Weaver, EGW base and Weaver Quad lock rings.  I also like to Burris Z rings.  There's lots of good options.
JH
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 21:06
[QUOTE=cajunhunter]This gun has the 4 tapped holes in the top.  It has the 4 screws but they seem stupid because they have to be loose for the action to work.  What do people do with those screws?  Maybe they were from an old scope that was mounted.  Do you need the plugs if you go with iron sights?[/QUOTE]

No.    
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 15:44
What about the Weaver 1.5-5x32 grand slam?
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 08:07

A good 1-4x or 1.5x5 or 2-7x would be my choices. 

Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Upnordth View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upnordth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 08:44
I had a Weaver Grand Slam 1.5-5x20 on my Marlin 30/30 but the think rubber grip on the eyepiece made it really difficult to get my thumb on the trigger.  Granted, I was using low rings, but you want to go as low as you can.
JH
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 14:39
trigger or hammer?
Upnordth View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upnordth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 15:30
Regarding use of Weaver Grand Slam 1.5-5 on Marlin 336.  Sorry...I mean't hammer rather than trigger.  Even with the hammer extension if was a bit tough to get the hammer cocked.  Having gloves on mad a worse.  The glass was nice but the reticle was a bit challenging in low light.
JH
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 17:20
hmmm.  Maybe rethink.  Must work in low light.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 07:19
I'd look at the 1-4x or 1.5-5x Leupy's available with heavy duplex and maybe #4.  Burris makes a Sig. Safari that I think is equipped with a #4 it's like a 1.5 or 1.75 to 5 x32.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Tulie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 14:22
I've got a 1.5x5 Leupold on my 1894 and it works great.  Not a long range rifle to begin with and the FOV on the low end is great.  Sure makes a fun small game setup.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 15:02
Which line leupold?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic