OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Monarch 5-20 x 44 vs, Leupold VXII 6-18 x 40

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JagerDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monarch 5-20 x 44 vs, Leupold VXII 6-18 x 40
    Posted: January/11/2010 at 21:37
Very similar price.  Both have BDC reticles.  Leupold is several ounces lighter (Monarch must be a tank) and Leupold has much more internal adjustment.  Any good reasons to prefer the Monarch?
JagerDog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JagerDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 21:43
Hmmm..don't see an edit funtion.

Application is Kimber 84 in .223.  Walking varmint (squirrels and dogs) rifle (prolly nothing beyond 400 yds.) with the sporter barrel.
lewwetzel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewwetzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 23:04
IMHO, 2 reasons: 1. The Monarch has better glass, hands down. 2. The Nikon is side focus. After 3 scopes with this feature, it'd be hard for me to go back to AO. Personally, the extra weight of a SF affects the handling of a rifle less than the (usual) longer length of an AO. And Talley lightweight ring/bases could save a couple of ounces. The big dia. eyebox on the Monarch isn't visually appealing to some, but I don't think it causes mounting problems on most rifles. The Leupod does have more adjustment range, but is that much really needed for you application?
Good luck with your decision!
lewwetzel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewwetzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 23:17
Also, please be advised the Nikon BDC reticle is not regarded by some to be the best choice for smaller varmints.
JagerDog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JagerDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2010 at 12:59
Well....I ordered the Monarch w/o BDC.  Great deal with SWFA pricematch.  Looking forward to shooting with it.  I'm not planning on 1000 yard shots, so hopefully the plex and limited MOA adjustment do OK.

I'll be using Talley vertical split steel rings.  They appear to be about the stoutest for an 11mm dovetail (ala Anschutz).  Most are spec'd for rimfire.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic