OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zen Ray Optics.....Never heard of them!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tacstar796 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zen Ray Optics.....Never heard of them!
    Posted: January/11/2010 at 16:48
Hey guys I was wondering a few things about Zen-Ray Optics (bino's)  I am an avid hunter and spend alot of time shopping online.  The reviews on Zen-Rays are outstanding....on this forum. 

I cannot find another retailer or online store other than Zen-Ray direct or SWFA who even sells these "superb" binoculars.  Why is that?  If ZR's compare (according to the reviews) to Zeiss, Nikon, Swarovski etc, how come no other stores carry them?  Cabelas, Bass Pro, Gander Mtn?

Is the company just so new or small or is the quality only as good as the people trying to push their products? 

Interested in trying them, but no other forums or online optics stores talk or sell them but here????

Suggestions
Brian Lankford
tacstar796@gmail.com

biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 17:23
Here is the way I understand it. They are fairly new and small and as such have a limited distribution network of a few select retailers to keep prices low. There are others besides direct or SWFA but mostly on the west coast. Prices are pretty much the same whoever you go through but I believe SWFA is about $10.00 less than direct, and of course provides outstanding service. Charles, one of ZEN's principals is also on this site and interacts directly with it's members. 

How good are they? Well I can't compare them to Swaro or Zeiss simply because I can't afford Swaro or Zeiss. A store compare does little for me, they all look good in the store. I took a chance and ordered a pair of 10x43 ED2 direct from ZEN and have been verry impressed with them. Durring the first and last hours of the day in wooded creek bottoms looking into the shadows is where these are far above anything I've ever owned. 

There are a couple negatives however. The Obj. lens covers fall off easily (lost both of mine) and the Obj. lenses are set verry near the end of the tube making them prone to scratches. I have a small scratch on one of mine which probably came from a tree branch or something after loosing the lens covers. Some have said to get Buttler Creek Obj covers and make a cutout so they fit around the frame.  I will probably do that when I get some time to keep from scratching mine any worse. 

IMHO - Worth the money. For those of us that can't afford Euro Uber glass this is probably as close as we can get at a reasonable price.

Edited by biggreen747 - January/12/2010 at 10:33
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 17:30

There is a whole subforum on the birding forum to discuss zen-ray binos.  Those birders are nuts when it comes to quality binoculars.

I have mine for quite some time. The quality of them really is that good. You will have to see and believe it.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 19:30
They are that good.  The customer service is that good. 

Several members, including me, have reviewed and compared these binoculars to the big names.

There are some minor fit and finish type issues (like the lens covers).  Think of it this way:  $2000 view, $400 build.  That isn't to say the build is poor, but it is similar to the binoculars of that price range.  What you get in actual optical performance is outstanding!

Smile
-Matt
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 20:16
Well if you have any doubt then you may be interested in this bargain from samplelist:
11482 Kahles 8x32 Grey 55200, Grey rubber armored, center focus, roof prism, twist out eye cups, 100% new in box with all factory accessories $828.00 $399.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 20:42
Zen-ray is small company that is pretty new.

I am currently reviewing one of their binoculars and it is looking pretty good so far.

ILya
cnas122 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnas122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2010 at 00:30
Yee Haw.  Just bought my first pair of Zen 8x43 ED2 and I can't wait.  I'm pretty new to this forum, but wanted to thank everyone for the excellent advice and discussions that I have seen on this site.
cnas122 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnas122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2010 at 19:19
Well, I like them a lot.  My only complain are the lens covers....they fit very poorly and constantly fall off.  I had read on the forums that this problem had been addressed, but mine still have issues and I bought directly from the maker.  Any thoughts?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic