OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

700 Remington Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 700 Remington Question
    Posted: January/11/2010 at 14:14
I reciently picked up a Rem 700 in 270, I took off the scope,rings and bases to add a picatinny rail set up. Doing this I noticed the front hole of the four base screws was blind and the others went through. Im wondering if this is correct or if a scew is broken off down there? The one I took out is fine. The two front were short the two rear were longer. Anyone know?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 14:16

I think thats right.  Call remington CS they are quick to answer and will know.

Edited by SVT_Tactical - January/11/2010 at 14:16
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 14:18
i too believe you are fine. its been a couple of years since ive had my 700 that far apart and that was only once to mount the bases.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Cuda View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 15:02
I called Rem customer service. The guy I spoke with  thaught it should go through because he heard of people jamming up the bolt when useing to long of  a screw. I can see this happening but maybe this happened in the rear of the two forward screws. He did not seem to sure.
Cuda View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 15:06
Ill just roll with what I have uless I have a problem when the rail comes on wednesday. Thaught I might get a jump on a problem if I had one.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 15:41
I know for a fact that on a win70 using a longer screw on the reciever bedding it will cause the bolt not be be able to close or the thing not to be able to be opened depending on if it was in when the stock was installed.  The same goes for the top front screw hole scope mount.  I dont' think you will have any problems with it at all, like i said i know my win70 is like that.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 15:55
The front hole does not go appear to go through because the hole goes through where the barrel is threaded into the action.  Therefore you are not able to see through it because you are seeing the barrel in the hole.  The threading stops right before the second hole.  The second one does go though and is right at the locking lugs.  That is why if the screw is to long it will cause a problem because it hits the lugs, so the short ones go in the front. 

Edited by supertool73 - January/11/2010 at 16:26
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 16:01
ST your safety ain't on!
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 16:06
Whats a safety?
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 16:07
he's the last resort to stop a touch down in the nfl?Bucky
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 16:09
lol
Cuda View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 19:03
Thanks guys. Now with your pics and explaination supertool that makes exact sense. Im good to go.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 20:20
This is my safety, Sir!!!   as Supertool wiggles his trigger finger.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 20:44

Yes, watch it on the front base, there are two different length screws and if installed wrong, it will keep the bolt from closing. I had this happen to me and it took me awhile to figure out Head Banger.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 21:15
It's a Remington...........Light It Up         
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 03:06
On this forum, some one, some where has all the answers. Well done guys!!!

PS, my lefty Remmy has a righty Timney trigger, so I to have a trigger finger safety.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 05:01
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

On this forum, some one, some where has all the answers. Well done guys!!!

PS, my lefty Remmy has a righty Timney trigger, so I to have a trigger finger safety.

It's tough being the round peg in a square world!!!   LOL!

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 05:52
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

PS, my lefty Remmy...

I live in Australia and Remingtons (while accurate and well made) are a complete rip off...I went to this gun shop (an official Remington stockist...there's only two of them in my city) that I rarely go to cos I needed to get something I couldn't get elsewhere...while there I asked how much is a Remington 700 CDL Left hander...he replies back that the righty is $1800 and the lefty is $200 dearer ($2000)...

And this is for a gun that sells for about $1000 dollars in the U.S. of A....the Aussie dollar is worth about 0.92 U.S. Cents at the moment...

I asked if they had any 2nd hand Remingtons...he comes back with a beat up 700 ADL with a cheap scope attached...outside of the gun had light rust marks on it...they wanted $799 for it!  Loco

Just letting you know that the cost of that Ruger M77 Hawkeye .308 and that Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40 I bought from another gun shop recently, came to $1840 Australian...
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 07:55
Apostle, if it makes you feel any better, I paid for a US$1100 Remmy the equivalent of US$2000 in South Africa. (ZAR16000)

I considered a self import and could land it for about ZAR12 000, import duties etc all paid. However, with new USA gun export control etc decided not to go that route.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 08:33
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

This is my safety, Sir!!!   as Supertool wiggles his trigger finger.

Eric Bana from Black Hawk Down  Big Grin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic