OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

new scope opinions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPDP99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new scope opinions
    Posted: January/11/2010 at 12:52
Ok I'm a newbie here so HI. I have been searching around for quite some time and have narrowed my search for a new scope. I have a rem. model 7 7mm-08 that is my ALL purose hunting rifle. From pig, coyote, deer and elk. I have been using a very cheap tasko on it for about 12 years and have killed everything I shot at. I am looking to finally get some better optics on it. I have narrowed it to the burris fullfield 2 with BDC reticle, the nikon buckmaster with BDC and the bushnell elite 4200 with standard reticle. All scopes will be in the 3-9x40 size. I would love to throw more money at one but its not an option as all these are very close in price(i can get the elite new for $221). The things i dont like is the BDC on the nikon is dots, the burris has a full rotating eyepiece(no flip up covers can be used) and the 4200 in this power doesnt come with BDC or its sign. higher cost. Let me know your opinions. Thanks in advance.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 13:09
I would get the 4200 hands down over the others you said.  The only other thing that I will add is to check out the elite 3200 line as they have a 3x9 with different reticles and they have the DOA reticle availible.
EPDP99 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPDP99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 13:26
I did look at that as well infact I can get it for $207 but figured it was so close to the 4200 I might as well get that one but I really want a BDC so who knows. Thanks!!
EPDP99 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPDP99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 13:46
well Found out my current is a tasko varmit 6-18x42 and was $110 new back in the day...
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 13:56
Do you really think you'd need/use a ballistic reticle?  If you really want a ballistic reticle, get the Nikon Team Primos from SWFA for $200 with a free jacket.  It's a re-named Nikon Monarch, which is really good glass for the money.
EPDP99 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPDP99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 14:30
do I need it probably not. I am looking to get a rangefinder as well. I guess I need to get the scope and get it sighted in then count the clicks for every50yds past that and write it down out to 500yds(dont think I'd ever shoot that far) and then make a laminated piece for the gun. I dont shoot with the gun a ton so id never remember the clicks. Thats why I figured a BDC reticle would help me greatly.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 14:31
the bdc only works correctly on its highest power, so if its a 3x9 it will only be accurate on 9x for the other powers you would have to do the work at the range to figure them out.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 14:37
Personally, I'd want to do a lot of range work no matter what.  Every load's trajectory will vary at least a little.  Either way, the Primos is a good buy and you wouldn't HAVE to use the reticle...
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 14:38
i dont ever use mine either.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
EPDP99 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPDP99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 14:45
hmmmmmm. I was planning to make sure the reticle was accurate with my load for sure. Are you guys using clicks at certain ranges to get accurate or just "knowing" the hold over? I dont mind doing the clicks I just know I have to write it down and put it on the scope flip ups so I can see it infront of me when I shoot if thats the case. I have just held high over the target on my current scope and it hasnt failed me yet but I want to be more precise with it now... I also did know BDC would only be good from say7-9X. So now I'm looking at the vortex diamonback, nikon buckmaster and primos, and elite 4200. And I guess they will cost less now.... Would you guys reccomend new rings, rings and base or neither with a new scope. I have leupold 1 piece base and luepold med height rings currently.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 14:47
The point of having one of those reticles is learning how it corresponds to your individual load's trajectory and not having to use any clicks.  So if you're going to use it, you should get to know it and leave the adjustments alone.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 14:47
its only good on 9x, if you try to use it on 7x or even 8x you will be off on your shot, im not sure how much but i know it will be off. your rings and bases are fine i think.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 14:50
The Primos is better glass than a Buckmaster, and pretty close to as good as the 4200.  I can't say for sure about the Diamondback.  One other thing to keep in mind is that you get rainguard with the 4200, which is said to work very well.

Also, I don't know why you would need new rings/bases.  Leupold's are supposed to be pretty good and should work just fine.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 14:56
the diamondback is comparable with the buckmaster and fullfieldII. i love my 4200 elite. rainguard makes that scope almost perfect.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 15:36
The rings and bases are adequate for what you are describing like pyro said.  From what I understand about what you are doing I think you may want to look at a mildot scope.  I use the dots as holdover points sometimes for a quick shot but also spend crazy amounts of time at the range to know the number of clicks as well as the holdover impact point at all yards.  Even doing that you can get a special tool that mounts to the scope that has a small pull out piece of paper that you can record info on and have it out in the field. I think leupold makes one.  Have you ever used a mil dot?  I don't like BDC because of the whole whats it calibrated for, what temp, what elevation, they never seem to be dead on which i can get with a mildot.
EPDP99 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPDP99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 19:47
I have never used anything but a standard reticle. To be honest I dont even know what the difference between the Mil dot and BDC reticles are other than the BDC is calibrated to an average between different cartridges. The mil dot spacing I dont know how it works. Like I said I'm a major newb to this stuff but have been trying to do my homework for the next purchase.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 20:07
http://www.kentonindustries.com/pics/picbytype/

Tasco
Super Sniper
L.R. HUNTER

Tasco
Super Sniper
MILITARY

Tasco
Super Sniper
SPEED DIAL
The Speed Dial Kenton Knob on a 6x Super Sniper when that comes out would be a nice hunting rig.
Mil Dots are 3.6 inches dot to dot at 100 yds   http://www.mil-dot.com/
And then there are FFP First Focal Plane Mil Mil scopes  With FFP the mil can be used for known hold over at any power and can be used to estimate distance at any power.
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope Mil-Dot SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95 
Add SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Folically Challenged View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folically Challenged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 08:17
Another thought...

On a trim rifle, like a model 7, perhaps you might consider a smaller, lighter scope, such as a " 'tweener ".  Koshkin has done a wonderful evaluation here: http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=16901&KW=tweener&PN=1.  I haven't checked all the models he listed, but I think that many of them, if not all, offer holdover reticles of some kind.

I'm thinking 7x or 8x on the top end would still allow you all the magnification necessary to wring-out a 7mm-08.  However, it would improve the rifle's handling characteristics vs. a larger & heavier scope.

FC
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 09:06
Hunting often calls for quick action and shooting. A "busy" reticule can add to the confusion when things happen quickly. A duplex reticule with instinctive holdover can simplify matters.
As allways you must know your trajectory and do some range work before the hunt.

Otherwise Urimaginayfriend has good advice, as allways.
EPDP99 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPDP99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2010 at 14:40
well with the discount I can get for the bushnells I think I'm going that route. Now do I got 3-9x40 3200 with DOA(BDC) reticle or the 4200 with standard reticle. I will spend a bunch of time at the range with the scope counting clicks and writing it down for every 50 yrds so I can adjust in the field if DOA isnt accurate for my rifle. So do I go 4200 since I will count clicks anyways or do the 3200DOA and use it for fast shots and count clicks for more timely shots? Is the difference in optics worth the reticle or not. I hear alot of people dont use the DOA style reticle anyways so that also has some concerns. I didnt see a 4200 model with the DOA reticle is why I ask between the 3200DOA and 4200 standard.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic