OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Diavari, 6-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornhuskid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Diavari, 6-24
    Posted: January/11/2010 at 09:25
First post for me, so be gentle!  Big Smile

I will be picking up a 264 Win Mag that was custom built, a very accurate gun.  I'd like to top it with an equaly accurate scope, and have narrowed down the choice to a Nightforce or Zeiss Diavari.  I know the Zeiss should have better glass, BUT I can not find much information on the accuracy, or should I say consistancy, of the turret systems.  This will be for a loooong range hunting and target rifle, and as such I will be using the turrets quite a bit.  How does it "shoot the box"?

Any first hand info on the Zeiss's ability to return to zero, click value actual measurements (are the clicks correct according to their advertised distance?), etc... would be greatly appreciated.  My "budget" for this is in the 2K range, which puts me right at the lower lever of the Diavari 6-24s.

Nightforce (and Sightron) seem to have a great reputation for their turrets.  Just can't seem to find any info on the Zeiss in that regard.  I currently use a Luppy 4.5-14x50 VX3 on a 30-378, but have not been totally happy with the turrets.

Thank you in advance!

Jeff

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 09:33
I've owned two Victory Diavari scopes (the 3-12x & 6-24x models) & my experience is the tracking is spot on. My uses didn't extend past 600yds so I can't comment on the amount of vertical adjustment available. If you're looking to shoot 1,000yds+ you might need a 20MOA base but others may know better.
Optically, you really can't do better than the 6-24x model. I think that scope, for your intended application(s), will serve you very well.
Best of luck & welcome to the forum!
Ceylon

edit to add--I don't know whether the reticle options for this scope are ideal for 1,000yd targets. Does anybody know if the reticle thickness obscures the target at that range???

Edited by ceylonc - January/11/2010 at 09:35
cornhuskid View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornhuskid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 09:38
Thank you for the quick reply!  Yes, I should have mentioned that.  It does have a 20 MOA base installed.  I beleive there is something like 75 MOA total in that scope, so 75 / 2 = 35 + 20 = 55 MOA up.  With the 140 Berger VLD at 3100 and 300 yard zero it should take me to about 1750 yards before running out of elevation (like I could hit that far anyway...)

Jeff

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornhuskid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 09:42
My mistake - 1625 yards.  STILL farther than I can hit!  Loco

J

338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 10:38
With no bones or worries you will be fine...

Do not hesitate...

Zeiss, Zeiss, Zeiss.

Tracking and Returning everytime on the spot...

Now work on shooting the line
No one
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 11:47
the turrets are .5cm so 20 clicks or #2 is 1 mil and that means 4 turns for 1000 yds. Which the scope doesn't have -- so you'll need a 20 moa rail. This is a postiive thing if you want more refinement than a regular 1cm turret. The reticle does not obscure 8x10 steel at 1000 yds, with the z1000 reticle, but you will probably want something else as its not calibrated for the 264 and  can be confusing. As an example I center with the 500 at 100 yds  with a 300 wsm with 175 at 3000 fps. and so that #7 becomes 250 yds, etc, which is optimized at 18.2 power or just dial in mil drop from a drop chart and use the 500 reticle for windage holdoff. Here is the scope on a trg22. 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornhuskid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 13:09
Great info to all.  Dale - nice rig!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic