OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weaver Grand Slam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaver Grand Slam
    Posted: January/10/2010 at 21:59
Anybody here have any experience with the Weaver Grand Slam Line. I had a friend ask about them today. I told him I knew nothing about them but would try to find out some info.. Did a search and came up empty... 
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 04:13
They are very good scopes from what I have read. The specs say they have a short eye relief but I believe it is a little more than stated about 3.5 inches. I looked through one and it has very decent glass. I would say it was pretty equal if not a tad sharper than my 4200 Elite 3-9x40. The power ring is very easy to grip and smooth turning but it sticks out from the scope a little more than some other scope so your rifles bolt may come pretty close to it while cycling the action. I really liked the adjustment turrets as they are finger adjustable and have very smooth precise clicks. The power selection mark is on the left side instead of on top of the scope so that the shooter may set the power without ever lowering the rifle. The 3-9x 40 I looked at was a very decent scope. It was fairly light but had a slightly smaller sight picture than the bushnell and I would say the plex reticle in the Bushnell, Nikon Monarch and the Weaver Grand Slam were identical in thickness and design. This is all from memory from a while back. Hope this helps.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 07:45
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=11702
I have 2 now . One on a 300WSM that my son uses and another on a 30-06. Really good optic for the money and durable. I don't know anyone that has ione that doesn't like them.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 07:46
Thanks guys. Appreciate the reply

Edited by biggreen747 - January/11/2010 at 07:46
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 16:38
I am a big fan of the 1.5-5x32 Grand Slam, and have them on several rifles.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 20:36
I had two of them at one time, 4.5x32 and a 4.5-14x40.  I would say they were very comparable to the leupold VXIII, both optically and durability wise.  I sure wish I still had the 4.5x, I don't believe it is still made, it would have been perfect for my 35 whelen.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
boliodogs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boliodogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 23:00
I really like my Grand Slam scopes in 3-10x40 and 1.5-5x32. They are nice to look through and have good eye relief compared to most scopes. They are light weight for the power that they are especially the 3-10 being the lightest scope I know of that goes to 10 power except for the Leupold vx3. The power spread is nice. You get a true 3power with 35 ft. field at 100 yard going up to 10 power for long range so you are covered for almost anything. I like the 1.5-5 spread better than than 1.5-4.5 spread  because that extra .5 power seems to help on long shots and 100 yard sight ins. It is a small edge but it is an edge to me anyway. At 1.5 you have a fov. of 71ft. and plenty of eye relief. For hunting big game where shots are less than 300 yards this is a great scope and the 3-10 should handle all big game hunting at under 13 ounces. The 1.5-5 weighs just over 11 ounces.
Muddy Buck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muddy Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 17:13

Great scope, I have a 3-10 on my .270, holds its zero,  its plenty bright for legal shooting hours the only issue Ive seen with them could be the size of the zoom ring messing with the bolt on low rings 

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2010 at 18:10
One thing I forgot to comment on was that the lettering on the power ring and A/O, which was gold when new, either wore off or dissolved making it difficult to see where the scope was adjusted.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2010 at 18:34
I've had one for at least 10yrs. and it has bounced around on several rifles. A BAR 270, a 12ga slug gun and has set on my Marlin 444 for 6 or 7 yrs. I compared it the the VXIII when I got it and it was/is very close in clearity and low light transferr. I don't know if the new ones are built the same, but if so they are great for the money. I've never had issues with holding zero or turret adjustment repeatability. I have an after market elevation target turret on it and it puts me on the money out to 300yds with the 444.
I do recomend a recoil boot for heavy hitters because they will tag you if you aren't paying attention. Ouch
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
feklar View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feklar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2010 at 22:44
I have one 4.5-14 I took to Africa.  Seemed very sturdy, handled the bouncing around on the way there and all through the trip.  It was on a 300 win mag there.  When I got back I liked it so much I put it on my 25-06.  The glass seems very clear, and on sight in the clicks seem to move the point of impact as it should.  Good scope for the money, but not as clear as the weaver tactical in 4.5-14, but its 1/2 the $$.
JPinSC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2010 at 10:12
I purchased one of their 4.75 fixed power scopes when they discontinued them.  The price was so good I could not pass it up even tho I had no immediate need for another scope.  I  put it on a 12 ga. slug gun prior to this season.  It was easy to sight in and it holds POI despite the recoil of the 12 ga. slugs.  It accounted for two deer, one in the middle of a snow storm.  Like my prior Weavers, the GSs appear to be solid values.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic