OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

blurry kahles???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: blurry kahles???
    Posted: January/09/2010 at 23:14
I have a Kahles CL 4x12x52 purchased off the samplelist last year. I have always attributed some of the burry picture and focus problems to my eyes but now I am beginning to wonder. The scope has not been damaged in any way while under my care so that is not an issue

The situation I have been encountering is that I have a lot of trouble getting a clear and crisp sight picture while keeping the crosshairs in focus. At lower powers it is less noticeable, but above 6 power it really begins to become a hindrance. At twelve power I was seeing a blurry target with what appeared to be two red bullseyes wavering beside one another (there was in fact only one obviously.) I'm not really sure what the problem is but with the reputation surrounding this scope as well as the pricetag I would surely expect better performance. unfortunately I did not have any other scopes to compare it with today but I will likely do some side-by-sides tomorrow. I can say that I never remember having this problem with my cheap 3x9 Prostaff Sad
-Michael
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2010 at 02:58
It does sound like you may need to send your scope in for service.

Just in case though, I would recheck the focusing on it.

First of all, set the side focus to infinity and point the scope at something uniform and distant, like the sky (make sure you do not point the scope into the sun).

Then use the eyepiece focus to make the reticle as sharp as possible.  Adjust he eyepiece focus slowly, a little bit at the time.   Make sure you frequently look away to let your eyes rest.  Once the reticle is properly adjusted, it should be in perfect focus the moment you glance into the scope.  If when you just put the scope in front of your eye the reticle appears blurry, you need to refocus (even if it comes into focus slowly as you keep looking through the scope).

Once the reticle focus is properly adjusted, try to look at objects at different distances.  Use side focus to make those objects sharp.

If none of this works, you may need to send the scope in for repair.

ILya
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2010 at 03:08
I've tried messing with the ocular focus ring but it only seems to focus on one plane: either the reticle or the target but not both at the same time. I really hope I don't need to send it in for service because I have not heard good things of Kahles service lately...
-Michael
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2010 at 03:20
Originally posted by mlv2k5 mlv2k5 wrote:

I've tried messing with the ocular focus ring but it only seems to focus on one plane: either the reticle or the target but not both at the same time. I really hope I don't need to send it in for service because I have not heard good things of Kahles service lately...

Ocular focus is for one thing and one thing only: focusing the reticle.

Once you set it up for your eyes you NEVER mess with ocular focus again.  

Image on your scope should only be focused via Side Focus knob.

ILya
HOLLOWPOINT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOLLOWPOINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2010 at 08:21

(make sure you do not point the scope into the sun).

THAT would solve your eye problems. Permanently! Shocked
Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good. Thomas Paine
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2010 at 08:43
"Mamma alway told me not to look into the eye of the sun...
But Mamma that where the fun is..." Blinded by the light  the Manfred Mann version
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2010 at 12:41
The scope may have been that way when you bought it.SWFA has been pretty good with correcting a problem if you believe that the scope left there place in that condition.That's why many people buy here because you might pay more for a scope but if anything goes wrong they correct it.
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2010 at 17:00
Hmm, well it definitely hasn't changed since I bought it, so if it is a problem with the scope itself then it was that way when I purchased it. I always thought it was either something having to do with my eyes or just my ignorance preventing me from discovering how to alleviate the problem.

In the event that it is a mechanical problem, does anyone have suggestions on what protocol to go by. I know that Kahles no longer has a North American rep (I think) and since the scope is over a year old now I doubt it is return or exchangeable. If I had realized it was malfunctioning I would have acted much sooner, I guess I figured between a 1200 dollar scope and me I was the more likely culprit for error...
-Michael
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2010 at 19:13
Is the scope still mounted in the rings? If it is, take it out and look thru the scope and see if the problem is still there. I have run in to problems with customers who didn't have their rings properly aligned. Aluminum tubed scopes are notorious for having "problems" with clarity if the tube is only slightly out of line, or the rings having been torqued too tightly. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic