OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS for groundhogs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS for groundhogs
    Posted: January/08/2010 at 15:06
Hi all,

I am very much considering a SS straight 10X or a straight 16X to mount on my Sako 75 Varmint chambered in .243 Win, for PA earthpigs. (the Nightforce 8-32X BR is now on a new target rifle)  Shots will be 300-800 yards, and for $320 "How can I go wrong" ? (rear focus model) I have heard that the glass is clearer on the 10X & 16X, vs the 20X SS. The reason that I'm going with a straight power scope is "simplicity". I've read every review that I could find on the SS, and I truly believe that they are a very good scope. Opinions on the magnifications please!  
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2010 at 15:13
I think if you arent' going under 300yds I'd take the 20x for the magnification.  Clarity wise I haven't heard that the 20x is not as clear but haven't used it first hand yet.
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2010 at 16:04
   Blackbird I have 4, 20x ss scopes and all are crystal clear.
froggy
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2010 at 21:43

For your situation, I'd go 16X, myself ...but really, any of the three should work. 20x may give you some additional mirage issues over the others, and 10X is a bit low on the magnification for 800 yard woodchucks.

lewwetzel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewwetzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2010 at 22:23
I have a 20X SS on a Remington SPS Varmint/.22-250, used mostly for Ohio g-hogs. Am pretty satisfied with it, although I don't share the enthusiasm of some for the glass quality; the place on SWFA's Scope Ratings scale with Bushnell 3200, Nikon B-master, etc. seems about right. And you'd better get a sunshade, too: they'll "white-out" in sun unless it's well at your back. Also, this is a fairly heavy scope, 22 oz., I could cut half a pound off my rig by going to a similar-X AO scope and Talley 1-pc. rings/bases.
Positives: love the rear focus; more adjustment range than most will ever need; rugged as hell; and you can focus down to 20 yards reasonably well for a fixed 20X. Also, the styling and relatively short length doesn't overpower the looks of a rifle.
These do make good groundhog-hunting scopes IMO. Especially for the $.
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2010 at 08:24
Is a sunshade included in the box with the SS scopes ?

Also, what type of warranty comes with the SS scopes ?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2010 at 08:48
Originally posted by Blackbird Blackbird wrote:

Don't think the sunshade accompanies the scope.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2010 at 11:13
They have package deals on ebay sometimes under the seller riflescope.com  OR PM Brady for a combo deal for the 20x
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2010 at 13:16
The glass is the same on the 20x as the 10 and 16 the variable and the HD are different better glass.  The issue wiht 16 and 20 is that in low light they start to look grey because of the exit eye pupil size but any other scope with the same power and same objective size would suffer similarly.  With a variable in low light you dial down the power to brighten the image.  In bright daylight the 20x and 16 x would be very nice in low light the variable is currently the best low light scope while the HD is close and better reolution due to having the best glass of all.   The 20x is quite a bargain as it is priced lower and for years has been priced the same.  Want to buy on the safe side try the 16 or spring for the more expensive 10x HD it is well worth the difference in cost if you can afford it.  Soon there will be a 6x version with rear focus and 1/4moa clicks.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2010 at 22:21
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

The glass is the same on the 20x as the 10 and 16 the variable and the HD are different better glass.  The issue wiht 16 and 20 is that in low light they start to look grey because of the exit eye pupil size but any other scope with the same power and same objective size would suffer similarly.  With a variable in low light you dial down the power to brighten the image.  In bright daylight the 20x and 16 x would be very nice in low light the variable is currently the best low light scope while the HD is close and better reolution due to having the best glass of all.   The 20x is quite a bargain as it is priced lower and for years has been priced the same.  Want to buy on the safe side try the 16 or spring for the more expensive 10x HD it is well worth the difference in cost if you can afford it.  Soon there will be a 6x version with rear focus and 1/4moa clicks.

Thanks for the info! I am now debating on the 16 or 20X. I'll ponder this for a little while.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2010 at 22:57
I'd probably go 20 because it cost less and both would suffer almost as much in low light.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2010 at 08:57
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I'd probably go 20 because it cost less and both would suffer almost as much in low light.

With a sunshade mounted I dont' think you would see a differencewith mirage being a factor and you dont' varmit hunt in low light normally.
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2010 at 16:53
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by Blackbird Blackbird wrote:

Don't think the sunshade accompanies the scope.

Any idea on what the warranty consists of ?
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2010 at 20:26
 As long as you own it, it is covered.
froggy
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 03:45
Originally posted by rjtfroggy rjtfroggy wrote:

As long as you own it, it is covered.

It is covered how ? 
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 11:45
They replace/repair it no questions asked
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 12:49

Do you mean for my lifetime ? If so, how can you go wrong with buying one of these?

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2010 at 13:10
Yes, and you can't! SS is the best bang for your buck in the optics world!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic