OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Foxpro jack in the box - worth the money?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foxpro jack in the box - worth the money?
    Posted: January/07/2010 at 13:15
Gentlemen

Im hunting down foxes on my property with mixed results. Has anyone tried the Foxpro Jack in the box?  It looks interesting but Id hate to waste money.
Any opinions?

Thanks
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2010 at 13:19
when you say mixed results, do you mean you havent called in  a lot of foxes with the current calls you use now? or you havent been seeing any foxes at all??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2010 at 13:23
I have to believe that decoy would work great. Motion attracts a lot of different animals, including dogs.
We use flags for geese and tail feathers for coyote. Like the deadly moto-duck, the motion might get them to take a harder look at where the call is from.
The only draw back I can see is that you'll need a bigger back back if you are already using an electronic call.

Doug

Edited by tahqua - January/07/2010 at 13:28
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2010 at 13:33
My dad and I bought a little cheapo one that is just a stick that you stick in the ground and it has a vibrating top with some fur on it and the yotes seem to really like it.  When they see it they dart right for it.  I think we paid $30 for it.  I think the fox pro one might be a little much, but it would be nice to have it connected to your call if that is what you are using.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2010 at 14:28
I have seen guys that have a similar set up. The ones I've seen need at least a slight breeze or a long string attached to pull on. They fit in cargo pockets, too. I find the older I get the more of a minimalist I am becoming when going out in the field.

Doug
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2010 at 14:30
we only use mouth calls, they work well if you know how to use them.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2010 at 14:42
That one we bought has a motor so it moves quite a bit on its own.  It rolls around in probably a 12 inch circle with the fur on it, so it is pretty noticeable to the yotes
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2010 at 14:44

Got a good remote control car?  Put some fur on that and go at it.

shooter4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2010 at 16:36
Well there aint no yotes around here. Just artic fox and mink and Ive seen alot of tracks. Another clue is massive drop in bird life around here. These are fierce hunters but hard to detect for a clumsy human like me......so far. I have not much experience in this field but keen learner.  I saw the jack-in-the-box and am interested to know if its worth it?
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2010 at 16:47
Sounds like you are in my kind of country. Are you in Canada or AK, if you don't mind me asking?
For $120 it sounds a bit high, but everything FP makes is high end. My brother has a FoxPro call and it is one of the nicest and coslty units I've seen. Quite a bit easier to pack in than my old Johnny Stewart.

Doug
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2010 at 22:41

The current favorite is the MOJO Critter but dont drop it they shatter badly if dropped.  Also a feather on a string tied to a stick can give them something to look at if there is any wind or you can tie a fishing line to it to work it.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic