OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mounting Kahles CL 3-9x42 on Sako A7

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faldoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mounting Kahles CL 3-9x42 on Sako A7
    Posted: January/07/2010 at 12:18
I just wanted to post that I have mounted my 1 inch Kahles Helia CL 3-9x42 MZ on my Sako A7. I used Leupold low QRW rings, and even with the supplied flip up lens covers, there is 1 mm clearance from the barrel. I have been told that the 50 mm scope can fit with medium rings.
As an aside, I like the Kahles. After hours of looking through these scopes, the Kahles is significantly better than the 30 mm Leupold Mk 4 3.5-10x40 M1 I have as far as clarity, contrast, sharpness and low light capability is concerned. I like the side parallax/focus knob. It is of course not as good as a Zeiss Victory, but it costs half as much.
I haven't taken the rifle out to sight it in yet, because I don't like going out there in the windy cold...
I also really like the Sako as far as how it feels to me, how light it is, the balance, the slick bolt action, the adjustable crisp trigger, and the metal lipped polymer mag. We shall see if it is a 1 inch rifle as the guarantee says it is.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2010 at 12:34
Well good luck with the sight in.  Let us know the results.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2010 at 16:40
Sounds like a deadly combo. Congrats.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2010 at 02:49
Very nice setup. Let us know how it went!
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2010 at 19:47
Just remember, the 1" guarantee is for the rifle, not the shooter.
faldoc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faldoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2010 at 21:16
I will try the Kahles on another day.
I have a Zeiss Diavari Victory 2.5-10x42 scope which I mounted to the Sako with a set of Warne Low Maxima QD rings. I fitted the scope with Butler Creek flip up covers. There is about 5 mm of clearance with these rings.  In zeroing this combo today with Remington Match .308 and some of my own handloads I had the gun zeroed in about 6 shots. I have not tried the square tracking test etc. I think the scope does give the expected 1 cm of movement per click, and it seems to hold zero well. The clicks are very distinct and it takes a firm twist to move the turret. I shot about 65 rounds all in all today, and because I forgot my cleaning rod, I did not clean it at all. My first few 5 shot groups were about 1.25 inches at 100 yards with my heavy parka on, using a couple of sandbags on the bench.  By the time I was at my last few groups, I was getting about 3.5 inch 5 shot groups at 200 yards. I did not let the gun cool off between shots, and even in 35 degree weather the barrel was quite warm.

The sun was quite low to my front and left and contributed to some washout in my sight picture, but I am very happy with the sharpness of this scope. It is much easier on my eyes than my Leupold which I am having trouble focusing sharply. The Leupold takes many turns to adjust diopter at the eyepiece. The Zeiss has about 1 and 1/8 turns to adjust the diopter. I am getting used to the type 4 reticle in the first plane. In my hours of looking through these scopes (in other words playing with my new toys!) over the past few days, I found that in very low light the reticle is much easier to see at magnification than the reticles in the second plane of the Leupold (which has a Mildot) and the Kahles (Duplex).

So, first the rifle: as tp says, the shooter today most likely the reason I did not get my 1 inch groups. I have not done any serious rifle shooting for 6 or 7 years. I don't think I had a good shoulder purchase. However, for me the gun seems to shoot pretty consistently 1.25 to 1.5 inches when the gun is clean, and about 1.75 inches when it has had 60 shots through it. I am happy with it, and will try it again at some point without the parka to see if it shoots better. I'll have to see if I can work up some accurate hand loaded hunting rounds, too.

Next, the scope: I like it, it is definitely worth the cost for me, which was reasonable with my $100 rebate (ended 12/31) and some judicious shopping. And we shall see how the Kahles looks at the range.
faldoc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faldoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2010 at 21:41
I took a ruler to my first four 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I had only shot the 6 zeroing rounds at this point.
They measure as follows:
1-1/8", 1-1/4", 1-3/16", 1-5/8". Average 1.3".
My last two 5 shot groups at 200 yards (I had shot about 50 rounds by this time):
2 -15/16", 3-3/4".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic