OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Compacts- best for $300?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellolab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compacts- best for $300?
    Posted: August/17/2005 at 19:19

It appears the choice is Zeiss Classic 8x20 or Leica Trinovids; I can get either one for about the same price?

Opinions please.....or am I am missing a choice...

Thanks/Kevin

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2005 at 20:35

What is most important to you? optical performance? light weight? being able to fit it into a pocket? how waterproof it is?

Ilya

yellolab View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellolab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2005 at 22:29

Koshkin-

It does not have to be waterproof.

Weight is not really an issue.

I would like to be able to fit it in my pocket, which is why I'm want 8x20.

So that leaves optical performance, which is by far my largest factor. I've got a Pentax DCF WP, and love it in terms of clarity etc. Soemthing that equals that in a compact is my goal, so I hoping the 2 bino's I've mentioned will do the job.

I borrowed a freinds Steiner Predator 8x22, and I just can't to get nearly as crisp images as with the Pentax; the Pentax is my "benchmark".

Or am simply asking to much from a compact? I realize I will be sacrificing brightness for portability, and that's a trade-off I'm willing to live with, however I really don't want to give up resolution/clarity, as the Pentax has me spoiled.

Kevin

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2005 at 00:19
Bushnell or Bausch & Lomb Custom Compact 7x26.

Optically these are the best compacts I've seen yet.  You generally get a little more optical performance from compact inverse porros than you do from roofs.  Another thing is the exit pupil: 3.7mm for 7x26 vs 2.5mm for 8x20.  Zeiss and Leica make nice compacts but there is no compact roof prism binocular in existrence that equals the optical performance of Bushnell Custom Compact 7x26 (in my opinion of course).  If you are trying to save save money there is a host of small inverse porro 8x25 binoculars out there (Nikon Travelite V, among others) that will be better optically than the most expensive roof compact.  But for the ultimate glass in a compact binocular go with a Custom Compact.

Ilya
SteveSF View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2005 at 08:59

For what little it is worth, I second Ilya's recommendations.  I've looked through Swarovski compact roofs in the past, and they are great.  However, reverse porro prisms offer views of equal quality, and they are much less expensive.  I have a cheap Nikon Venturer II or II, 8x23, that is as good as any other binocular in terms of sharpness, resolution, and contrast.  In the realm of small objectives, though, you can't expect a lot of brightness.  My Venturer is plastic, and flexes under my grip.  The new Venturers are rubber-covered and a bit more rugged and weather-resistant.  The B&L/Bushnell Custom 7x26 is well-known and constructed more ruggedly, from what I've read. 

Some of the smaller inverse porros must be pocket-sized.  Give them some consideration.

xenophobe View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xenophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2005 at 14:36
I have a pair of 10x25 Trinovids, and in normal daylight conditions, they're a little sharper than my Zeiss 10x40 Classics, especially at long distance.  Sure, they don't touch my 10x42 Ultravids or my 12x50 Trinovids, but they do give the latest T*P* Classics a good run for their money.  Slightly less contrast, but a very pleasant view.  Sure, there is only a 2.5mm exit pupil, but for daylight viewing they're fine, and with a binocular that is so compact, it's something that I haven't minded.  Very little chromatic abberation, and optically comparable to most full size binoculars in optical quality.

bowkill1978 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowkill1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2005 at 17:44
Alright, all those in favor of kicking xenophobe out of this forum because he's got so many pairs of sweet bino's raise their hand  Just kidding xeno!  I'm just jealous!
I've hunted almost everyday of my life, the rest were just wasted.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2005 at 12:04
He's got lots of good equipment, experience and lots of valuable knowledge as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic