OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Big Bore AR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Bore AR
    Posted: January/06/2010 at 08:59
Been bored and thinking about a big bore AR Upper.  I know there is a long standing debate on these three but if anyone has in insight or experience let me know.

AA Beowulf-
Pros- Its a .50 cal AR upper.  Whats cooler than than.  Huge stopping power.
Cons- Ammo is horrible to find being AA is the only maker, Only offering a 16" configuration, max effective range of around 2-300 yds

458 Socom -
Pros- offered in a longer barrel configuration.  Easier to find ammo/components effective beyond the 300yd mark
Cons - ?????

450 Bushmaster -
Pros - Long barrel Ammo availibility effective range
Cons - ????

I don't have a lot of info on some of these other than some first hand experience with the beowulf.  I can get it when i want and shoot it but it aint my own. 

Thanks for the input guys!
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2010 at 09:23
sometimes a gun is chosen for a particular bullet, in this case I got the socom because of the ease of getting bullets. It uses 45-70, so cast and the 400 gr Remingtons are in good supply. Lee was the only maker of dies at the time, and are so so. Primary use house gun, and while it will do 300 yds, somewhat of a waste of time in view of alternatives. Reg 223 mags work well and the round is a lot of fun on an NFA lower. The gun trashed the Eo sight and is currently using a Leo Prismatic.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2010 at 09:23
I would get one of the .45 cal.  That way you can shoot the lever evolution bullets out of it.  They are a big step up over the flat and round nosed bullets.  They will add some distance to your effective range. 

If you do not reload then the .450 bushmaster would be my choice since hornady makes ammo for it and you know they are not going anywhere. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2010 at 09:28
The pointed bullets will add some range, but the bc change is almost meaningless, from .1 to .15 (guessing). and its only being used in close range. Beside 100 bullets would run around $30, while "pointed" hard cast run about 40/500.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2010 at 15:30

I like the 450 bushy .. I used to have a Tromix 50 AE upper . It was fun to shoot in between getting jammed and the stuff on the gun coming loose .

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2010 at 22:29
Tagged for interest.
Txhillbilly View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Txhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 21:58
Out of all the big bore AR calibers the 458 SOCOM is probably the winner. More choices of ammo and available in most cases for the reloaders.Brass is hard to find in stock for it though.
If ammo was easily available for the 50 Beowulf,it would be right up there with the 458,but I think Alexander Arms will go away quietly since they want to make it so hard on the customers that buy their products to get ammo & brass to reload.
The 450,IMO is just too limited on its offerings in the ammo choice dept.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2010 at 22:09
I like the .458 SOCOM, as well.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic